Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-07, 08:52 PM   #1
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hard ass - saddle sores

I've increase my mileage quite a bit this year and completed my first 3 centuries over the summer.
I've never suffered from skin rashes or break outs, but I did develop a hard spot on the inner
bit of my right buttock. I noticed it was tender down there so pushed and poked it and (sorry for being
explicit) got some blood coming out of the tender area into my butt crack.....After about a week it has now
completely gone, it isn't hard or sore at all.

What is this? A haematoma, a very bad bruise? Should I worry?
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:08 PM   #2
sch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Mountain Brook. AL
Bikes:
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Hematoma close enough to the surface to drain by poking (not I hope with a needle)
is usually pretty blue looking and the blood will be mostly clotted and come out
looking like grape jelly if you open a large enough hole. An abscess is more likely
to drain under the circumstances you describe, and is usually on the pink/red side.
Abscesses tend to recur and and are spread by clothes, fingers and a favored reservoir
is the inside of the nose. Not for nothing did our late and knowledgeable curmudgeon
use the epithet 'nosepickers' (and my favorite: carpet smoker). So if that was
really pus, which can look pretty bloody, especially when coming from a hard to see
area, you are at risk for further such events. Nobody knows what to do to prevent this
but clorox is a pretty good sterilant for clothes etc, but getting rid of a newly resident
population of staph is really hard.
sch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:19 PM   #3
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch View Post
Hematoma close enough to the surface to drain by poking (not I hope with a needle)
is usually pretty blue looking and the blood will be mostly clotted and come out
looking like grape jelly if you open a large enough hole. An abscess is more likely
to drain under the circumstances you describe, and is usually on the pink/red side.
Abscesses tend to recur and and are spread by clothes, fingers and a favored reservoir
is the inside of the nose. Not for nothing did our late and knowledgeable curmudgeon
use the epithet 'nosepickers' (and my favorite: carpet smoker). So if that was
really pus, which can look pretty bloody, especially when coming from a hard to see
area, you are at risk for further such events. Nobody knows what to do to prevent this
but clorox is a pretty good sterilant for clothes etc, but getting rid of a newly resident
population of staph is really hard.
That sounds like a good (or bad) explaination. The area drained easily by just pushing on it.
Maybe my long rides caused some deep tissue injury that got infected. I'll break out the "Baby
wet ones" and put my shorts through a few extra wash cycles.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 10:03 PM   #4
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine just got what sounds like what you got....he got pills for his....the doc said something about infected sweat glad or something like that..

Oh and the pills worked....they are ge.tting way smaller....he says you can barely see them.
biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 10:47 PM   #5
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffstephens View Post
A friend of mine just got what sounds like what you got....he got pills for his....the doc said something about infected sweat glad or something like that..

Oh and the pills worked....they are ge.tting way smaller....he says you can barely see them.
That's good to hear.

My thing was different it was below the skin. I actually think that I've found out what it is, its "Weavers Bottom" no joke or ischial bursitis. It's an inflammation of a sac around the sit bones cause by prolonged pressure and repetative motion, duh cycling...... I'm pretty sure it wasn't infected as it wasn't red or hot and the stuff that came out of it was a mix of blood and plasma, very watery like what comes out of a blister you get from a new pair of shoes. Has anyone had something similar? Does it come back?
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 07:19 AM   #6
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Richard Cranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the Shawnee Forest
Bikes: LeMond - Gunnar
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
but I did develop a hard spot on the inner bit of my right buttock.
Gee whiz, why can't it be a "boil" or a cyst? And popping it released a mix of blood and lymph fluids. If indeed there is a "hard" nodule left behind - yuk yuk - get it? "left behind", then it is more rightly termed a "calcified cyst."

Most likely all veteran long distance cyclists have many calcified cysts buried all around their Ischial Tuberosity. Many are left over from previous boils and infections. Once in a while, conditions can re-irritate them to the point that they become reinfected and large again.

Perhaps these "cyst sacks" do eventually dissolve, but I don't think so, they just get squished around and usually are not noticed.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 07:59 AM   #7
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Cyst, inflamation, bursitis.....there seem to be lots of subtley different ways the body can pool fluid in tissues.
Bottomline (errrrg) it didn't seem to be infected and has resolved itself, I'll be bummed (errg again) if it comes back though
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.