Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member bbunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How much is enough?

    If you are starting from scratch and wanted to be able to ride a 76 mile bike ride that is being held in 66 days, is that enough time to prepare?

    I ride to work and with my kids but have never trained for a longer ride and was wondering what is the average/normal time to prepare for a 76 mile ride? What are some ways you use to train for longer rides?

    I am pretty sure I can be ready for the ride if I set my mind to it and get riding but wanted to get the "expert" opinions from the long riders on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker
    It's pretty clear. Ride your bike, you'll be just fine.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends entirely on your current fitness level. How far can you ride comfortably today? Is the 76 mile ride on flat or hilly course? 66 days is a plenty of time if you are reasonably fit today and the course is relatively flat.

  3. #3
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,028
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The simplest thing to say is to just add 10%/week to your total weekly mileage, except cut it back every 4th week to rest a bit. Have one ride/week that's longer than the rest. You'll want to ride at least one 50-60 mile ride before the long one.

  4. #4
    Banned. mazpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Side
    My Bikes
    Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats your workout history?

    Consult your PCM!!!

  5. #5
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    37,958
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    The simplest thing to say is to just add 10%/week to your total weekly mileage, except cut it back every 4th week to rest a bit. Have one ride/week that's longer than the rest. You'll want to ride at least one 50-60 mile ride before the long one.
    +1


    And ... I'm at the point now where I don't prepare for a 76 mile ride. I'm in a state of perpetual readiness to ride a distance like that. Keep it up, and you'll get there too!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Stallionforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    My Bikes
    05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Base, base, base, spin, spin, spin. Just get the miles in, once a week -- as has been mentioned -- go for a long one. Go close to your limit, and then get home and rest. Next week, try to exceed that limit slightly. I'm finding rando to be as much -- if not more -- psychological than physical.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bbunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice. I am in okay shape right now but am setting up a plan that will get me ready, as I can be, by the time of the ride. I need to get some longer rides in as the longest I have done is 30 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker
    It's pretty clear. Ride your bike, you'll be just fine.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    76 miles 9 weeks from now?

    Work yourself up to it. Do a 25 mile ride weekend one. Then every weekend add 5 miles to it. On weekend 8 you'll have a 60 mile ride under your belt. For many people, they need to have their food/water strategy and bike fit figured out in order to do a 60 mile ride. But that's the "gateway" distance. Many people can take that same fit and food/drink plan and comfortable ride for 100+ miles.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunk View Post
    If you are starting from scratch and wanted to be able to ride a 76 mile bike ride that is being held in 66 days, is that enough time to prepare?

    I ride to work and with my kids but have never trained for a longer ride and was wondering what is the average/normal time to prepare for a 76 mile ride? What are some ways you use to train for longer rides?

    I am pretty sure I can be ready for the ride if I set my mind to it and get riding but wanted to get the "expert" opinions from the long riders on this forum.
    Yes, you can do it, depending on how hilly it is.

    If you have some conditioning now, you need to be used to longer rides. Work up so that you can ride 2-4 hours at a time - and learn how/what to eat/drink - and learn how to use your gears so you can spin fairly fast (aim for about 90 RPM), and you will likely have no problem.

    You will also likely be pretty sore and tired at the end.
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •