Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Good hotels on BMB route

    There hasn't been much, if any, response to my question on the touring list so I thought I'd ask the folks with actual experience of the route.

    This summer I'm planning a credit card tour along the BMB route, changing the end to stay a couple of days in Montreal before riding back. So the route will be Boston, New Salem, Brattleboro, Ludlow, Middlebury, Rouses Point, Montreal.

    As there will be a fair bit of climbing I'm going to take my time and do a stage a day. Does anyone have recommendations for nice, bicycle friendly, places to stay along the way and where to stay and what to see in Montreal?

  2. #2
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent...

  3. #3
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,584
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an absolute hole of a motel in Brattleboro where the control was ... don't stay there. There have to be better places.

    There is a gorgeous little campground ner Ludlow, where Rowan and I camped before the BMB, but I would recommend it with caution ... it's up a steep, narrow, gravel road ... perhaps not what you want at the end of a long day's ride.

  4. #4
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    There is an absolute hole of a motel in Brattleboro where the control was ... don't stay there. There have to be better places.

    There is a gorgeous little campground ner Ludlow, where Rowan and I camped before the BMB, but I would recommend it with caution ... it's up a steep, narrow, gravel road ... perhaps not what you want at the end of a long day's ride.

    I'm going to be doing the tour in style and staying in hotels every night, I'm going to need the shower and warm bed after each day.

    I found a list of Hotels on the BMB website that will be very useful. What was the hotel at the Brattleboro control point, there's a Motel 8 on the list that's $50 a night, is that the one to avoid?

  5. #5
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    I'm going to be doing the tour in style and staying in hotels every night, I'm going to need the shower and warm bed after each day.

    I found a list of Hotels on the BMB website that will be very useful. What was the hotel at the Brattleboro control point, there's a Motel 8 on the list that's $50 a night, is that the one to avoid?
    yes... motel 6 i think. bmb and the boston brevets use it as a control.
    there is a holiday inn express in town... there is also a cool historic hotel (latchis?) downtown.

    there are also some nice B&Bs in putney, just up the road, and on the route.

  6. #6
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    yes... motel 6 i think. bmb and the boston brevets use it as a control.
    there is a holiday inn express in town... there is also a cool historic hotel (latchis?) downtown.

    there are also some nice B&Bs in putney, just up the road, and on the route.
    Yes sorry, Motel 6.

    I've been reading some BMB ride reports and I'm becoming intimidated. The hills sound nasty and never ending. I'm not a strong climber so for the folks who know VT what do you think of getting off the BMB route at Ludlow and riding to Rutland on Rt103 and Rt7 and on to Middlebury. This looks as if it gets me out of the mountains quicker. Then I'd stay on Rt7 from Middlebury through Vergennes and pick up the BMB route at Burlington.

    FYI it looks like there is a bike path across the St Lawrence on the Pont de la Concorde that drops me right in the old town of Montreal.

  7. #7
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    Yes sorry, Motel 6.

    I've been reading some BMB ride reports and I'm becoming intimidated. The hills sound nasty and never ending. I'm not a strong climber so for the folks who know VT what do you think of getting off the BMB route at Ludlow and riding to Rutland on Rt103 and Rt7 and on to Middlebury. This looks as if it gets me out of the mountains quicker. Then I'd stay on Rt7 from Middlebury through Vergennes and pick up the BMB route at Burlington.

    FYI it looks like there is a bike path across the St Lawrence on the Pont de la Concorde that drops me right in the old town of Montreal.
    Rt 103 is pretty tough. That stretch before Ludlow can be rough... And I would avoid a long ride on Rt. 7 (basically VTs west side 'interstate' that is 2 lanes most of the way, with 4 near Rutland and Burlington). If you choose to go this way I can map out some alternates to get you off of Rt. 7 into town.


    If you want to do a VT tour to Montreal - but ease up on the climbing a bit - I'd consider taking Rt. 30 out of Brattleboro to Jamaica, VT - then follow Rt. 100 north (basically a valley ride - yes, there is climbing - but you're not heading over passes). It is not as climby as the BMB route in this area. Rt. 30 has a net elevation gain to Jamaica - but it's very manageable and it is a wide shouldered road for the higher traffic parts, and follows a very scenic river valley (good swimming holes all along). If you want to camp, Jamacia State Park is a great spot.

    Rt. 100 is gorgeous pretty much anywhere along its length.
    The ride from Hancock to Waitsfield is a favorite of mine - I do that on a double gap ride over Middlebury and Appalachian.

    Once on Rt. 100 head all the way to Waterbury and you can pick up Rt 2 all the way into town - which is graded pretty nicely but highly traveled (it follows the Winooski River Valley) - or you can try some of the less traveled roads I've marked out. (Rt. 2 is a ride I do for a fast century - from Burlington to Montpelier)

    Find your way to Richmond and you have a couple of options depending on where you are headed - if you want Burlington City center - take Rt. 2 straight in... it gets busy with traffic and commercial development. If you want a treat - take Rt. 117 to Essex and find your way to the Inn at Essex and the New England Culinary Institute. This will put you north east of Burlington - but it is a good shortcut around town and into some nice riding as you head to Canada.

    Google Map of the above here.

  8. #8
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'm loving the terrain feature on Google a cyclist likes to see contours!
    I'll probably take your route going out and go through Middlebury on the way back and give
    Middlebury gap a go.

  9. #9
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    Thanks, I'm loving the terrain feature on Google a cyclist likes to see contours!
    I'll probably take your route going out and go through Middlebury on the way back and give
    Middlebury gap a go.
    here's a decent route to middlebury form burlington

    middlebury gap is a bit tougher from the west. its more gradual coming from the east... but very do-able.

    i met a guy 3 years ago that came over app gap on a fully loaded rivendell. he was camping at a church in montpelier that night. even had a little hatchet banded to the front fork. his rig probably weighed 80-90 pounds. the same day the green mountain stage race finished atop app gap - he kept wondering why so many folks kept blowing by him - until he got to the top and saw the finish line area as they were packing up.

    for information on the gaps, check out this link.

  10. #10
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    here's a decent route to middlebury form burlington

    middlebury gap is a bit tougher from the west. its more gradual coming from the east... but very do-able.

    i met a guy 3 years ago that came over app gap on a fully loaded rivendell. he was camping at a church in montpelier that night. even had a little hatchet banded to the front fork. his rig probably weighed 80-90 pounds. the same day the green mountain stage race finished atop app gap - he kept wondering why so many folks kept blowing by him - until he got to the top and saw the finish line area as they were packing up.

    for information on the gaps, check out this link.
    Bmike, thanks for the pointer on VT routes. FYI I've finalized my route and I'm taking your advice
    and riding RT30 and RT100 through VT

    Day 1 Boston to Barre
    Day 2 Barre to Brattleboro
    Day 3 Brattleboro to Ludlow
    Day 4 Ludlow to Rochester
    Day 5 Rochester to Burlington
    Day 6 Burlington to Alburgh
    Day 7 Alburgh Montreal

    Stay 2 days in Montreal and then rent a car to drive back to Boston.

    My daily mileage is really whimpy when compared to BMB, but I think 50 hilly miles each day will
    be a good work out for me.

  11. #11
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    Bmike, thanks for the pointer on VT routes. FYI I've finalized my route and I'm taking your advice
    and riding RT30 and RT100 through VT

    Day 1 Boston to Barre
    Day 2 Barre to Brattleboro
    Day 3 Brattleboro to Ludlow
    Day 4 Ludlow to Rochester
    Day 5 Rochester to Burlington
    Day 6 Burlington to Alburgh
    Day 7 Alburgh Montreal

    Stay 2 days in Montreal and then rent a car to drive back to Boston.

    My daily mileage is really whimpy when compared to BMB, but I think 50 hilly miles each day will
    be a good work out for me.
    sounds like a great trip! good luck!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •