Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-08, 11:51 PM   #1
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another big thumbs up to the Brooks saddle

I bought a Brooks earlier this week after going through a bunch of plastic and carbon saddles. I got the Team Pro model in honey leather. Simply put, I wish I had bought one years ago.

I rode it a few times on shorter ~50mi rides during the week but today had the real test of a 300km brevet.

I'm happy to report this is the first time EVER i've not had a sore butt on a greater than ~70mi ride.
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 01:55 AM   #2
Madsnail
Senior Member
 
Madsnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: München, DE
Bikes:
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a Team Pro honey as well to replace a plastic saddle that was giving me a lot of pain and numbness.
I've only put about 400 km on it so far but I'm quite happy with it. The good thing is: I've had no issues with numbness at all, and this is what I was looking for. But, this thing was very hard when I installed it and it's been killing my sitbones. It's slightly less hard now, and I hope it will get even softer by the time it's completely broken in.
Madsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 07:31 AM   #3
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsnail View Post
I bought a Team Pro honey as well to replace a plastic saddle that was giving me a lot of pain and numbness.
I've only put about 400 km on it so far but I'm quite happy with it. The good thing is: I've had no issues with numbness at all, and this is what I was looking for. But, this thing was very hard when I installed it and it's been killing my sitbones. It's slightly less hard now, and I hope it will get even softer by the time it's completely broken in.
I never had any numbness issues. I always had sitbone discomfort. I have zero sitbone issues with the Brooks, even when brand new. It just seems to fit snugly. I had to adjust the angle quite a few times the first few rides but I just slid around on it until I found the ideal spot for me and just dialed it in to that spot. I have the nose very slightly titled up and don't ride sitting on the very back but just a tad forward. I do ride in a pretty aggressive position and have a ~3" drop to the bars.
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 09:26 AM   #4
MTBMaven
This is Shangri La
 
MTBMaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm convinced the honey brown is by far the most comfortable color. Love my Brooks and Selle-AnAtomica.
MTBMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 11:58 AM   #5
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
For me, it's the antique brown that's most comfortable. In fact, I've dyed a couple of honey colored saddles and turned them into antique browns. Now they're just as comfortable as my other stock brown saddles.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 09:58 PM   #6
AverageCommuter
..
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
..

Last edited by AverageCommuter; 09-13-08 at 03:34 PM.
AverageCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 05:38 AM   #7
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageCommuter View Post
I miss my B-17. I still have it, but it got wet. That may have been just the thing for Machka to break hers in, but mine was perfect right out of the box. Now mine sags way too much and I've yet to figure out how to fix it. Prior to it's soaking it truly was perfect.
I had the same problem, but everybody told me water doesn't hurt it. Maybe for some it don't, but for me it did.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 05:54 AM   #8
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I had the same problem, but everybody told me water doesn't hurt it. Maybe for some it don't, but for me it did.
The 300km brevet I did this past Saturday started in the pouring rain for the first few hours. I had mine wrapped in a plastic bag. I couldn't find a clear or just white one so I had Fairway written all over my shorts (not really but the color bled)

It didn't get wet but my shorts were soaked so I left the bag on for a few hours after the sun came up. I got sick of hearing it swish back and forth with every pedal stroke. I eventually took it off even though my butt was still damp. It discolored some but did not sag any. It dried eventually and returned to it's original color.

I have to say this is the one very irritating thing about the Brooks. I really don't like having to be concerned about water. I ride very far, and often, and I can't be a fair weather fan, and having this as a potential liability is no good.

I've no idea what I would do if one of the 24 hour races or raam qualifier later this year is in the rain for most the time. Riding on a plastic bag for that long is not ideal...
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:14 PM   #9
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou View Post
I've no idea what I would do if one of the 24 hour races or raam qualifier later this year is in the rain for most the time. Riding on a plastic bag for that long is not ideal...
I have Brooks saddles on both my bikes and I ride them year 'round in the rainy, sleeting, slushy conditions. Fenders to keep water from splashing up on the bottom (especially on my new Imperial), Proofide to keep the leather treated against the occassional rain sprinkle, and a Velox saddle cover for when it's really pouring out. The Velox cover is lightweight and form fitting, so it's comfortable for long distances (unlike a plastic bag or a shower cap.)

Honestly, a little bit of water isn't going to hurt a Brooks saddle. I'm sure mine gets worse soakings from sweat during a ride like last weekend than any exposure to a mild rain. It's really about protecting the underside from getting soaked: Fenders and Proofide, or take that plastic bag and stuff it up into the rails to keep from splashing the underside of the seat.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:20 PM   #10
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
I have Brooks saddles on both my bikes and I ride them year 'round in the rainy, sleeting, slushy conditions. Fenders to keep water from splashing up on the bottom (especially on my new Imperial), Proofide to keep the leather treated against the occassional rain sprinkle, and a Velox saddle cover for when it's really pouring out. The Velox cover is lightweight and form fitting, so it's comfortable for long distances (unlike a plastic bag or a shower cap.)

Honestly, a little bit of water isn't going to hurt a Brooks saddle. I'm sure mine gets worse soakings from sweat during a ride like last weekend than any exposure to a mild rain. It's really about protecting the underside from getting soaked: Fenders and Proofide, or take that plastic bag and stuff it up into the rails to keep from splashing the underside of the seat.
Nevermind, I thought wallbike just had a picture but they sell it too for $8

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/saddlecare.html
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:28 PM   #11
Tony (Michigan)
Senior Member
 
Tony (Michigan)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where to get Velox seat covers
http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/veloxseatcover.html
Tony (Michigan) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:38 PM   #12
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How do you think the B17 would look on a Specialized Roubaix all CF bike. I'm think it may look out of place.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:42 PM   #13
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
How do you think the B17 would look on a Specialized Roubaix all CF bike. I'm think it may look out of place.
I have the honey team pro on a carbon fiber bike that has no paint job. i can snap a pic and post it later if you want to see how out of place it looks.
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:56 PM   #14
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou View Post
I have the honey team pro on a carbon fiber bike that has no paint job. i can snap a pic and post it later if you want to see how out of place it looks.
That would be great. I've tried adjusting this Alias, about every way you can think of and I still get sore after 35 miles. I went to the fitter again and all he's doing is scratching his head. He said maybe we can put some spacers in your shoe clip and see if that works. I know on my touring bike I have a B17 and after a very long break in, it feels good. It took about 1500 miles and I was ready to throw it away a few times.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 02:34 PM   #15
Danolink
Tour de Nebraska
 
Danolink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix,2008 Moto Messenger fixed/ss,2005 Specialized Crossroads
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou View Post
I have the honey team pro on a carbon fiber bike that has no paint job. i can snap a pic and post it later if you want to see how out of place it looks.
That would be great for me to I also have a Specialized Roubaix CF bike and have been thinking about putting my Brooks pro team on it.

I did a 70 mile ride this last weekend and the stock saddle was not good.
I also hesitated beacuse of the look, but I think comfort is the most important concern.

Yes please post pic.
Thanks
Danolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 02:48 PM   #16
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danolink View Post
That would be great for me to I also have a Specialized Roubaix CF bike and have been thinking about putting my Brooks pro team on it.

I did a 70 mile ride this last weekend and the stock saddle was not good.
I also hesitated beacuse of the look, but I think comfort is the most important concern.

Yes please post pic.
Thanks
I had one person at the brevet comment on my saddle saying the Honey color looked good with the silver on my bike. I'm not sure if they were being sarcastic or not but they seemed genuine when they said it.

I can tell you right now the honey color looks totally out of place, but I liked the copper rails and rivets more than the black with silver color. When sitting on it noone will know besides you and you will definitely know because it's SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE. I think they make a black one as well which would barely stick out besides the side skirts.

I'll post a pic in 3 or 4 hours when I get home from work + ride.
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 03:04 PM   #17
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
How do you think the B17 would look on a Specialized Roubaix all CF bike. I'm think it may look out of place.
Which of these is more horrible to cope with?

- My saddle looks funny.

- My saddle makes my butt feel like someone kicked me there with soccer cleats.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 03:14 PM   #18
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a honey colored one on my Jamis, but the Roubaix being blue and white I was think about the black or a green one. You're right about the looks though, my butt is still killing me and whatever it takes, I'm going to have to do.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 03:15 PM   #19
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
Which of these is more horrible to cope with?

- My saddle looks funny.

- My saddle makes my butt feel like someone kicked me there with soccer cleats.

you're right.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 05:04 PM   #20
Danolink
Tour de Nebraska
 
Danolink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix,2008 Moto Messenger fixed/ss,2005 Specialized Crossroads
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou View Post
I had one person at the brevet comment on my saddle saying the Honey color looked good with the silver on my bike. I'm not sure if they were being sarcastic or not but they seemed genuine when they said it.

I can tell you right now the honey color looks totally out of place, but I liked the copper rails and rivets more than the black with silver color. When sitting on it noone will know besides you and you will definitely know because it's SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE. I think they make a black one as well which would barely stick out besides the side skirts.

I'll post a pic in 3 or 4 hours when I get home from work + ride.
Very good thank you.
Danolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 05:06 PM   #21
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here ya go

Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 06:20 PM   #22
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That's a pretty sharp set up you have their and I noticed the wheels to, with the 32 spokes, nice.
When I got my Roubaix it had 24 spokes in the front and 28 in the back, Open Sports. I soon put the Open Pro on, with 32 front and back and I much happier. Thanks for the picture, that's the way I'll probably go.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 06:57 PM   #23
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Titus Modena
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
That's a pretty sharp set up you have their and I noticed the wheels to, with the 32 spokes, nice.
When I got my Roubaix it had 24 spokes in the front and 28 in the back, Open Sports. I soon put the Open Pro on, with 32 front and back and I much happier. Thanks for the picture, that's the way I'll probably go.
Thanks, I spent a lot of time selecting all the parts for this bike. An emphasis on lightweight but with no sacrifices in durability. I find the 32 spokes to easily pay off vs the lesser count. They hardly weigh any more and they seem to be much more reliable, in my experience. I'm a 164lb.

if you want to see the entire build kit for the bike I have it listed along the left side on my blog.
Spookykinkajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 12:11 AM   #24
AverageCommuter
..
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
..

Last edited by AverageCommuter; 09-13-08 at 03:34 PM.
AverageCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 07:12 AM   #25
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageCommuter View Post
I have a bike with fenders, and I'd like to get a B-17 for it as well. I'll have to get a set-back seatpost though since the B-17 rails don't allow it to be adjusted back far enough for this bike. That's not the bike that this was on though.

You're right that a little water won't hurt one. Unfortunately this was a torrential downpour. In the 5 miles it took for me to get to a place where both I and the bike were out of the rain, the saddle was soaked through. It took 8 days at room temperature for the saddle to completely dry. It was ruined, for me at least. The thing I prized about the B-17 is that it is very flat and only contacts your body at the sit bones. Every inch of the saddle is now in contact with me and that's not how a B-17 should be. Even when the dimples form on a properly broken in saddle, the majority of your butt does not actually touch the saddle.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Brooks saddles, far from it. It was the most comfortable saddle I'd ever ridden, but if you are a heavier rider (say 200 lbs like me) and the saddle gets soaked, it will be ruined. So protect it from water at all costs.
That's exactly what happened to me and everybody said I did something to it. I was about 215 when I ruined mine. Oh well, I bought another one and it took a long, long time to break it in, but now that it is, it's really nice. Oh, I carry a shower cap, with a few rubber bands.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.