Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    My Bikes
    '09 Salsa El Mariachi, '08 Surly Cross Check, '06 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Budget Dynohub Wheel?

    What are you running for your dynohub setup? I don't know much about wheels, but saw these:

    http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=18-275

    or

    http://www.velo-orange.com/shdyhubwh.html

    or any other suggestions? Have to be somewhat strong for commuting/loaded touring, also.
    '09 Salsa El Mariachi

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    My Bikes
    SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divtag View Post
    What are you running for your dynohub setup? I don't know much about wheels, but saw these:

    http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=18-275

    or

    http://www.velo-orange.com/shdyhubwh.html

    or any other suggestions? Have to be somewhat strong for commuting/loaded touring, also.
    I've been running these for the last year of commuting--they work fine, no problems http://www.bikeman.com/WE9718.html

    A bit more pricy but maybe it's worth it? would be:
    http://aebike.com/product/handspun-f...e7232-qc30.htm

    Nick

  3. #3
    N+1 redxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    A few
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dyno wheel from Rivendell I have no experience with the hub itself, but twin hollow rims are cheap single wall rims. The one from VO is the best option. I have two of the Shimano DH3 dyno hubs (slightly older H71 hubs), and they are great. I bought one already prebuilt used to a CXP22 and built a new one myself to a Sun CR-18. The 71/CR18 is on the front of my rando/commuter bike.

    The other two linked would be fine except for two things. The first one H71/Delgado cross is out of stock and will never be in stock again. It is a handspun wheel from QBP and has been discontinued by them. The second is an Alfine which technically is a slight downgrade from the DH3 hubs and uses an Velocity ELVS rim. It looks black in the picture, but when a light is shined on the rim itI becomes reflective. There is not a braking surface on the ELVS rims so you would really need to use the center lock disc mount on the Alfine for it to work. You could run rim brakes, but I don't think the performance would be very good on a non-machined rim with an extra special coating.

    The DH-3/CR18 being 36 holes would be the best option for loaded touring unless you had a wheel built with the DH-3 or a Schmidt Son hub to a higher end touring rim (DT Swiss TK7.1, Mavic A719, etc.).

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    My Bikes
    '09 Salsa El Mariachi, '08 Surly Cross Check, '06 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CR18 is a decent wheel? How fat of tires can I fit on there? I came across a bunch of reviews saying changing a tire on the CR18 was a PITA.
    '09 Salsa El Mariachi

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy, Brompton M3L
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two dynohub wheels. One has a Shimano DH-3N30 hub laced to a Mavic A119 rim and the other has a Shimano DH-3D71 hub laced a Mavic EN321 disc rim.

    The first wheel was very cheap - I got it off ebay

    http://cgi.ebay.de/28-Laufrad-Nabend...item483872af8f

    The second wheel was built by my LBS. I paid more than I should have for the parts.

    I am very happy with both wheels though. The hubs have minimal amount of drag and are holding up fine so far.

  6. #6
    Reeks of aged cotton duck Hydrated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Georgia, USA
    My Bikes
    2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS, 1995 Trek 950, 1979 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist
    Posts
    1,168
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divtag View Post
    CR18 is a decent wheel? How fat of tires can I fit on there? I came across a bunch of reviews saying changing a tire on the CR18 was a PITA.
    Take all of those CR18 reviews with a grain of salt. I'm running a couple of bikes with CR18's on them and I've found that the CR18 rims are no harder to mount tires on than any other rim.

    As for the rims, I really like them... sturdy... pretty (I got the polished version)... very dependable. I build my own wheels and the set on my main commuter is a set that I built with the DH-3N80 Shimano hub and CR18 in the front... and Shimano 105 hub with CR18 in the rear. Those wheels are smooth and dependable come rain or shine.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.-Aristotle

  7. #7
    Senior Member canopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built mine myself using an SRAM i-Light dyno hub, a Mavic A719 rim and wheelsmith spokes.
    Parts wise it came up a little cheaper than prebuilt but then i had to build them. And i got a a good deal on the rims from the UK.
    But the A-719's make a nice wheel i will say, and I couldn't be happier with the SRAM hub so far.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canopus View Post
    I built mine myself using an SRAM i-Light dyno hub, a Mavic A719 rim and wheelsmith spokes.
    Parts wise it came up a little cheaper than prebuilt but then i had to build them. And i got a a good deal on the rims from the UK.
    But the A-719's make a nice wheel i will say, and I couldn't be happier with the SRAM hub so far.
    I have also been researching budget dynohubs wheels. I was looking at the Mavic A719's. On their spec sheets it says that the recommended tire widths are from 28-47mm. My question is can a smaller size ie a 25mm tire be used as well?

  9. #9
    10 Speed
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
    Take all of those CR18 reviews with a grain of salt. I'm running a couple of bikes with CR18's on them and I've found that the CR18 rims are no harder to mount tires on than any other rim.

    As for the rims, I really like them... sturdy... pretty (I got the polished version)... very dependable. I build my own wheels and the set on my main commuter is a set that I built with the DH-3N80 Shimano hub and CR18 in the front... and Shimano 105 hub with CR18 in the rear. Those wheels are smooth and dependable come rain or shine.
    I dunno about this. The bleeding blisters on my thumbs are testament to the fact that Panaracer Col la Vie tires are nearly impossible to mount on CR18 650B rims. No amount of talc or brute strength could lift the wire beed over those rims. I had to resort to using Park steel tire levers to coax the beed onto the rim. In the process, I punctured two tubes. I'm not sure if it was the tire or the rim, but I dread flatting out on the road, which is not a good thing for a rando rig.

  10. #10
    Senior Member canopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC520 View Post
    I have also been researching budget dynohubs wheels. I was looking at the Mavic A719's. On their spec sheets it says that the recommended tire widths are from 28-47mm. My question is can a smaller size ie a 25mm tire be used as well?
    If you want to go with the 25mm tire I would probably look at a different rim, it would probably take it but it wouldn't be quite right unless it was a wide 25mm. Why are you looking at the A719 and a 25mm tire? clearance? strength?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canopus View Post
    If you want to go with the 25mm tire I would probably look at a different rim, it would probably take it but it wouldn't be quite right unless it was a wide 25mm. Why are you looking at the A719 and a 25mm tire? clearance? strength?
    I have 2 bikes that i would like to interchange the dynohub. A road bike and a touring bike. I am not sure that the road can accept anything larger than 25mm.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike shop is building me a wheel with: Shimano Alfine dynohub, a mavic a119 rim for just over 100 all in, which I think is pretty reasonable. I put a rotor on it for disc brakes (8) and I will swap it between 2 bikes. The lights were around 70 for an IQ Cyo (60 lux with standlight) and a seculite rear light. Can't wait to try it out!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •