Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cheltenham, England
Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Velo Orange Pass Hunter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Giant Defy vs. Cannondale CAAD9
A bit of a rambling thread this one....
I bought myself a used CAAD9 a few weeks back and a Giant Defy 2 for my wife last week.
To my surprise, I prefer the Defy in almost every way, but most reasons (excuse the pun) Defy logic.
The Defy is much more comfortable (as predicted), but also:
- it seems quicker to respond to acceleration than the CAAD9 (the CAAD9 is supposed to be the elite racing frame)
- it seems lighter than the CAAD9 (although it's 1kg+ heavier)
- it feels more 'alive' than the CAAD9 (same wheelbase, so I can't think why it should)
- the CAAD9 seems to have big rolling resistance... since I bought it I've been stopping to look if the brakes are touching... really odd - never had that feeling before....
- the Defy seems to glide along in comparison
(Kenda Criterium on the Defy - Conti 4 Seasons on the CAAD9 - both 25c)
The Defy has a compact chainset and the CAAD9 a 105 triple... would that account for a perceived difference in acceleration in top?
I've only done 20 mile rides so far, but the Defy is a dream.
(It takes it's own Defy fenders and a rear rack too.)
Last edited by Monkey Face; 04-28-10 at 08:55 AM.