Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 90 of 90
  1. #76
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalscot View Post
    ...Are you planning any doubles this year? or the 508?
    I just had knee surgery a couple months ago so I'm just getting back into things myself. Don't know if I'll do any "official" doubles this year (maybe the CCD) but I'm planning on doing the Hoo Doo and possibly the 508 again. We'll see how things turn out.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  2. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope your recovery goes well and that you get back to full fitness!

    I tore a tendon and messed up some muscles in my arm in November. I couldn't move it for nearly 6 weeks whilst it was healing, but things are much better now.

    I quite fancy trying the Hoodoo some time - it'd be a good excuse to go see Utah, just like RAO was a good excuse to see Oregon!

  3. #78
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'd kick butt on the Hoo Doo. It's really a beautiful ride too. The climbing is kind of similar to the 508 but it's pretty buch all above 6000ft in elevation which makes it harder than the 508 IMO. You should definitely put it on your to-do list.

    This has been my year for injury, I tore a tendon in my thumb earlier in the year and had to have it surgically repaired too. Once a person turns 50 it seems the body starts to fall apart...
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  4. #79
    Newbie gallybander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eire
    My Bikes
    Road bike and Hybrid
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most I've done in a day is 320 k and that was cycling time of 14 hours, was really proud of it until I read all about your heroic rides

  5. #80
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,990
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sakeed123 View Post
    Curious afterthought- Are there many endurance riders over 200 lbs? I know alot of sports makeup for body size to fall into a certain perameter- most pros usually are stamped out like a cookie cutter. it apears most of the tour de france guys are something like 170 or less? I see a forum on here where they call 200 lbs riders Clydesdales (laughing). I am tall and thin (34"waist) but I weigh as stated a Budweiser tipping 234lbs. I donlt know alot of 150 lb guys that say their fetet hurt after walking a swapmeeet for 4 hours like up heavier people do- I think that myay have something to do with this bicycle endurance body makeup. ?
    Anyways, interesting thoughts for me tonight. Every sport has it's groove.
    Don't know that I count as an endurance rider (especially in the context of this forum) but I've done several rides of 150km or more and weigh in somewhere around 240 for what that's worth.

    I also like to hike a lot. Back in the days when I weighed more like 280-290 people assumed someone that size was totally inactive and seemed surprised when I'd hike 15-20 miles across the moors in a day and enjoy every minute of it.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  6. #81
    lowracer ninja master lowracer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been concidering as of lately to try some brevets of longer distances. I think that I also need to pace myself at a little bit slower speed. I recently did a race ride in florida that was 170 miles or 270km. I ended up not stopping at all while racing another endurance racer on a recumbent. I didn't feel too bad at all at the end of the ride...... not how I thought I would feel, but to continue at that pace would have probably put me into some major deficit. I ended up doing the 170 miles in 7 hours 4 minutes 43 seconds for an average speed of 23.38 mph. Moving speed was generally 26 to 30mph but got stuck at some stop lights so that ate up the average speed a bit. I would like to do a 300 km but at a 20mph pace might be better.
    chris@promocycle.net

  7. #82
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,593
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an impressive speed. On our local rides, it would mean you rode the entire thing solo, which can suck a lot of the fun out of it, as there's no one else averaging close to that speed.

    On a typical brevet, you'll have controls every 30-60 miles, so you'll have several stops along the way.

    On a brevet, you do also have an opening time at a control. Not many of us ride fast enough for that to be an issue, but be aware of it. If you're anticipating beating that time consistently, probably the best approach is to just slow the average speed down so you're in that much better shape as you go along.

    It looks like you live in Florida, so basically flat? Be aware that if there are any hills available, the rando routes may seek them out. Ideally, they'd like for all the routes to be hilly enough that when poeple come to PBP, they can do the hills there okay. In reality, that's just not possible in some places, but they'll do what they can.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  8. #83
    lowracer ninja master lowracer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    That's an impressive speed. On our local rides, it would mean you rode the entire thing solo, which can suck a lot of the fun out of it, as there's no one else averaging close to that speed.

    On a typical brevet, you'll have controls every 30-60 miles, so you'll have several stops along the way.

    On a brevet, you do also have an opening time at a control. Not many of us ride fast enough for that to be an issue, but be aware of it. If you're anticipating beating that time consistently, probably the best approach is to just slow the average speed down so you're in that much better shape as you go along.

    It looks like you live in Florida, so basically flat? Be aware that if there are any hills available, the rando routes may seek them out. Ideally, they'd like for all the routes to be hilly enough that when poeple come to PBP, they can do the hills there okay. In reality, that's just not possible in some places, but they'll do what they can.

    Actually I live in Michigan. I was on vacation in Florida. I'm used to hills. There were some hills in clearwater Florida but nothing like I usually ride near home.
    chris@promocycle.net

  9. #84
    Senior Member skiffrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a newly minted RBA in the Detroit area. Hmmn -- only one RUSA ride to his credit.
    Link to the website: http://detroitrandonneurs.org/

    There are links to the maps for the 200 & 300 in May & June, respectively.

    Not as much climbing as is often the case with brevets.

    I am not familiar with Detroit and Ann Arbor, etc.; but that looks like a LOT of city riding.
    Not "my cup of tea," but ...
    Enjoy the ride.

  10. #85
    Senior Member Rwc5830's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Harlingen, TX Warmshowers Host
    My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowracer1 View Post
    I've been concidering as of lately to try some brevets of longer distances. I think that I also need to pace myself at a little bit slower speed. I recently did a race ride in florida that was 170 miles or 270km. I ended up not stopping at all while racing another endurance racer on a recumbent. I didn't feel too bad at all at the end of the ride...... not how I thought I would feel, but to continue at that pace would have probably put me into some major deficit. I ended up doing the 170 miles in 7 hours 4 minutes 43 seconds for an average speed of 23.38 mph. Moving speed was generally 26 to 30mph but got stuck at some stop lights so that ate up the average speed a bit. I would like to do a 300 km but at a 20mph pace might be better.
    Wow, 170 miles at an average speed of 23.38, without stopping! I'm not worthy to say the least.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

  11. #86
    Senior Member Steamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    high ground
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwc5830 View Post
    Wow, 170 miles at an average speed of 23.38, without stopping! I'm not worthy to say the least.
    I am certain that Chris is a very strong rider, but it also helps that he was riding a Quest velomobile. Zoom zoom.

  12. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing it in a big group helps in a big way. I did 335 miles with over 14000 feet elevation in a bit under 17 hours. Was not all that difficult since i was sheltered from the wind most of the way. We were maybe 45 riders in to groups alternating taking front positions.

  13. #88
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know it was mentioned, but Mike Hall broke the world record in cycling around the globe and he did 200 miles a day...but every day for 3 months.

  14. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,652
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me anything over 250km is limited not by my physical condition, but by tbe will to ride. Once I hit hour 11 I'm looking at my bike with minor distaste. Hour 12? Get me off this thing! I really respect those who can push themselves to ride for 24 hours without going nuts... Last weekend after 4 attempts I finally managed to complete a 220km ride. So many variables. Food, weather, people you ride with. Riding a century is easy. Beyond that requires planning.

  15. #90
    Senior Member joewein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowracer1 View Post
    Actually I live in Michigan. I was on vacation in Florida. I'm used to hills. There were some hills in clearwater Florida but nothing like I usually ride near home.
    Is that your Quest Velomobile in this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wcx0ALljFU

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •