Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Hairy Hands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Magnolia, Texas
    My Bikes
    Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Multiple Questions?

    1st - I have an FSA 48/34 crankset that says it works for 9 or 10 speed. I want to use either Campy 10 or 11sp brifters, and a cog set that goes to 29-32 teeth. What do I need to make that combo work? Tell me brands, and please be as specific as possible.

    2nd - I can see it will take some compromises to make a dual chainring setup work in the range I am looking for. Would it be simpler to go with a Triple chainring? What are the disadvantages besides weight? Does it shift crappy? Why such a stigma against the Triple.

    I dont need anything bigger than a 48t, but I will need some serious bailout gears.

    I have been cycling over 30 yrs and normally just run a matching gruppo, but this time I really need a special setup. Please advise. Thanks
    ~John~

  2. #2
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cranks will work fine with any setup. Campy cassettes go up to 29t, no larger. Campy suggests you need a medium cage for 29t, but short cage works fine in practice, though you have to be careful with the chain length.

    I like compact gearing, because front shifting is much easier. As you get tired on a long ride, it gets harder to pay attention to trimming the front, making sure you are in the right gear, etc. Using Shimano, I can run a 34t cassette, which gives me as low a gear as I have use for. Some climbs are still tough, but lower gearing won't help with that.

  3. #3
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was with you until this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by MetinUz View Post
    Some climbs are still tough, but lower gearing won't help with that.
    OP, one can achieve a big range of gears with a compact, sure. But you won't get the granny gears you can achieve with a triple, ask any touring cyclist. And there are advantages to going with the triple in that having the small chainring up front allows one to have the range while keeping closer ratios on the cassette.

    And if you want to go low, it lets you go really low. The last derailleur-equipped touring bike I bought new had a 48-36-24 triple with a 9-speed 13-34 at the back. Now, a randonneur wouldn't need to be that extreme, because typically they aren't fully loaded, as I sometimes was. But it illustrates the point. I never needed a bigger gear than the 48-13, and I could climb anything, even tired and with a full load.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Hairy Hands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Magnolia, Texas
    My Bikes
    Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetinUz View Post
    The cranks will work fine with any setup. Campy cassettes go up to 29t, no larger.
    Ok, so can I run Campy Brifters, Fsa crank, and a shimano or scram cogset to get the taller gearing?
    ~John~

  5. #5
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,936
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Hands View Post
    Ok, so can I run Campy Brifters, Fsa crank, and a shimano or scram cogset to get the taller gearing?
    I don't believe the Campy shifters would work with a Shimano or SRAM cassette.

    While it's true that a triple can be more finicky to shift, most of the stigma just comes from macho roadies who think low gears make you weak and slow.
    Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-08-12 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,611
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetinUz View Post
    I like compact gearing, because front shifting is much easier. As you get tired on a long ride, it gets harder to pay attention to trimming the front, making sure you are in the right gear, etc. Using Shimano, I can run a 34t cassette, which gives me as low a gear as I have use for. Some climbs are still tough, but lower gearing won't help with that.
    I've never had the trouble that people seem to have with triples. Doubles do shift a tiny bit better. I rarely have to trim my triple and it's automatic when I do.

    One advantage of a triple over a compact is that, if it's set up correctly, the gaps between gears are narrower. It might take some extra shifting but you'll be able to find the "right" gear (not always so with a compact due to the larger gaps).

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,611
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    OP, one can achieve a big range of gears with a compact, sure. But you won't get the granny gears you can achieve with a triple, ask any touring cyclist. And there are advantages to going with the triple in that having the small chainring up front allows one to have the range while keeping closer ratios on the cassette.
    Exactly. For shifting that is a tiny bit "worse".

    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    And if you want to go low, it lets you go really low. The last derailleur-equipped touring bike I bought new had a 48-36-24 triple with a 9-speed 13-34 at the back. Now, a randonneur wouldn't need to be that extreme, because typically they aren't fully loaded, as I sometimes was. But it illustrates the point. I never needed a bigger gear than the 48-13, and I could climb anything, even tired and with a full load.
    I was using a bike (with a triple) that had 30 front and 32 rear. I used that on some rides unloaded and was very glad to have it.

  8. #8
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    I don't believe the Campy shifters would work with a Shimano or SRAM cassette.
    I think jtek makes a shiftmate to make this work. I never really liked that idea. Someone used to sell spacers so you could change the cassette spacing, but I don't know who that was.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •