Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,447
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Steel TriCross Triple

    Anyone notice the new disc braked steel Tricross triple? Other than the drivetrain, that's a nice package. I have an older Tricross with the FACT carbon fork, DA & Ultegra, and I like it a good deal more than my Roubaix Comp. Man, I'm tempted.

    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...teeldisctriple

  2. #2
    Senior Member mustang1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    My Bikes
    2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHUT? Why a steel CX with disks? Steel frame is cheaper? Keeps overall bike price down when installed with disk brakes?
    1 cx bike, commuter (light off road), 2 road bikes (sportives and fair weather commuter), 1 mtb (off road fun and antics)

  3. #3
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,454
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice build. More of a commuter and light touring bike than a pure long distance bike. The 440mm chainstays are touring bike long. It would be a very good wet weather bike.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

  4. #4
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,447
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, I use mine as a century, fast tourer, all arounder, with a minimalist Tubus rack on the back. The front carbon forks had lowrider eyelets, and I've used full front panniers a few times like a fully dressed tourer. I think Specialized was pretty clever to drop the carbon fork and offer an all steel version, an new competitor for LHT, Soma, Trek 520 buyers.

  5. #5
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully, the TriCross was never a true CX race bike. Since the introduction of the Crux series a few years ago (which is a pure CX race bike), Specialized can now really keep the TriCross line as more of the adventure / touring bike, which it looks like they are definitely doing with this steel model. I have a 2009 Alu TriCross with carbon stays, which I've since upgraded with a carbon disc fork - it is the bike that I use 80% of the time for commuting, touring, trail riding, social rides, etc. The full-on race bike and the full-on mountain bike get ridden less and less all the time, because the TriCross can do almost everything.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Sport 2009, Giant Yukon FX3
    Posts
    1,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    Thankfully, the TriCross was never a true CX race bike. Since the introduction of the Crux series a few years ago (which is a pure CX race bike), Specialized can now really keep the TriCross line as more of the adventure / touring bike, which it looks like they are definitely doing with this steel model. I have a 2009 Alu TriCross with carbon stays, which I've since upgraded with a carbon disc fork - it is the bike that I use 80% of the time for commuting, touring, trail riding, social rides, etc. The full-on race bike and the full-on mountain bike get ridden less and less all the time, because the TriCross can do almost everything.
    Yeah, my Strava stats are pitiful:

    Tricross 2,942.1km
    Yukon FX3 39.6km

    I'm training for two endurance events next year: the 200km Alpine Classic (nearly 4000m vertical ascent, all sealed roads); and the Wombat 100 (50km dirt road/fire trail, 50km singletrack). I'll be doing them both on the Tricross. That's versatility

    Personally I don't really get the steel thing. I'd be tempted to say "the aluminium frame flexes under heavy touring loads" but I haven't experienced that. I've never put front panniers on it though - just rear panniers, rack bag, frame bag, handlebar bag, and usually a tent hanging from handlebars. (My girlfriend has the same bike, and replaced the front fork with a carbon/disk setup after it got smashed. I'm tempted still but don't want to close the door on front panniers...)
    Specialized Tricross Sport 2009. Giant Yukon FX 3.

  7. #7
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevage View Post
    (My girlfriend has the same bike, and replaced the front fork with a carbon/disk setup after it got smashed. I'm tempted still but don't want to close the door on front panniers...)
    I also replaced the fork on my 2009 TriCross with a carbon disc-brake model (without smashing the old one). You have to be careful because the tricross fork has a slightly non-standard length and offset. I got one that is as close as possible, and I did notice a small change in the handling, but if anything it was for the better (making it slightly more responsive). You can easily keep the old fork in storage in case you ever want to do a heavily-laden tour, but I've not toured with 4 panniers for a VERY long time (I learned how to take less stuff after doing one or two tours like that).

    The front disc adds even more versatility because it makes it an even better foul-weather bike (which is when rim brakes start to struggle). I'm not sold on the idea of needing a rear disc actually - it's a good place to save weight by using just a V-brake, and often rear discs get in the way of rack mounting. One disc brake is enough for me. So by switching the fork on a V-brake equipped bike you end up with the perfect combination that is normally not available in an off-the-shelf model (but again, be careful with fork geometries).
    Last edited by Chris_W; 11-29-12 at 12:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    Exactly, I use mine as a century, fast tourer, all arounder, with a minimalist Tubus rack on the back. The front carbon forks had lowrider eyelets, and I've used full front panniers a few times like a fully dressed tourer. I think Specialized was pretty clever to drop the carbon fork and offer an all steel version, an new competitor for LHT, Soma, Trek 520 buyers.
    While the Specialized Steel Tricross has quite a few merits, it can't really compete with the LHT...

    The LHT has few actual competitors. You get more tire options with the LHT, due to a much wider clearance, and your build options are virtually limitless...

    When it comes to Touring, Long Distance versatility, and value, the LHT is practically peerless!
    Last edited by SlimRider; 11-29-12 at 12:53 PM.

  9. #9
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    When it comes to Touring, Long Distance versatility, and value, the LHT is practically peerless!
    The LHT is hardly peerless, you need to get out more. It's a very solid touring bike that is affordable. If more money is available than the LHT, you can do better. Have you ridden a LHT?
    Touring is one thing, but this isn't the touring forum so I think there is an underlying assumption that performance is important. Some people use an LHT for randonneuring, but everyone I know that has done that has either replaced it or is shopping. It's just not the kind of bike you really want to be riding for long distances at a relatively rapid pace. The LHT is ideal for riding 60 miles a day with a touring load, or commuting. If you were going to do some touring but had an emphasis on randonneuring or other long distance riding where performance is a factor, I'm sure there are probably better choices than the LHT.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    The LHT is hardly peerless, you need to get out more. It's a very solid touring bike that is affordable. If more money is available than the LHT, you can do better. Have you ridden a LHT?
    Touring is one thing, but this isn't the touring forum so I think there is an underlying assumption that performance is important. Some people use an LHT for randonneuring, but everyone I know that has done that has either replaced it or is shopping. It's just not the kind of bike you really want to be riding for long distances at a relatively rapid pace. The LHT is ideal for riding 60 miles a day with a touring load, or commuting. If you were going to do some touring but had an emphasis on randonneuring or other long distance riding where performance is a factor, I'm sure there are probably better choices than the LHT.

    Peerless in terms of both Long Distance Versatility and Value (cost)...


    People Randonneur on just about anything with two wheels. You have to be very particular in order to select the proper touring bicycle. You must consider ascents when carrying gear. You must also consider balance and the best tire width, given the terrain. In that case, the LHT is best suited for Touring, but can also double as a Randonneur bicycle. Considering that it costs a fraction of many other types of Touring and Randonneuring candidates, I can easily say that it has no peers. It's truly, "peerless"...

    * I really do love the LHT, I just can't help it!

    PS.

    It's most certainly more versatile than the Specialized Steel Tricross...
    Last edited by SlimRider; 11-29-12 at 05:43 PM.

  11. #11
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slim have you ridden an LHT? If not, please do not comment on experiences you have not had because that would be giving info on inexperience. And it doing so intentionally would be considered....... trolling..... HINT
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Slim have you ridden an LHT? If not, please do not comment on experiences you have not had because that would be giving info on inexperience. And it doing so intentionally would be considered....... trolling..... HINT
    Why are you doing this?

    I have ridden the LHT as I have friends who I used to tour with who've ridden them.

    If you don't like me, just say so and let that be that!

    I haven't disrespected anyone and I've been most tolerant of being disrespected...You're assuming something that's not so!

    Besides, what difference would it make if I just liked the LHT without even riding it one time. I would just be voicing an opinion, which is a lot less obtrusive than what I've seen this week...Including obnoxious racist remarks which went without incident!

    I don't need any of your hints!

    If you want to ban me, then just go ahead...I'll live!

    PS.

    I would never be disrepectful to anyone, nor would I be a bigot!
    Last edited by SlimRider; 11-29-12 at 09:52 PM.

  13. #13
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
    Why are you doing this?

    I have ridden the LHT as I have friends who I used to tour with who've ridden them?

    If you don't like me, just say so and let that be that!

    I haven't disrespected anyone and I've been most tolerant of being disrespected...You're assuming something that's not so!

    Besides, what difference would it make if I just liked the LHT without even riding it one time. I would just be voicing an opinion, which is a lot less obtrusive than what I've seen this week...Including obnoxious racist remarks which went without incident!

    I don't need any of your hints!

    If you want to ban me, then just go ahead...I'll live!

    PS.

    I would never be disrepectful to anyone, nor would I be a bigot!
    If you want to leave, please feel free to. And thank you for answering a question that was asked twice. Please note the "IF NOT..." Please keep in mind that whether or not I like you has no bearing on how I (or others who complain) take your posts. Perhaps I should not have been so nice as to hint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  14. #14
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bigoted remark was definitely taken care of. We can't control what people post, but we can fix it up afterwards.

  15. #15
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,911
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we're "there", the thing that strikes me about the LHT is the amount of trail -- 65mm or so by the online calculators I've seen -- which I would presume is what gives it the "truck-like" handling some people don't like for LD riding. (Full disclosure: I've never ridden one.)

    Has anyone experimented with forks that have more rake to lighten the steering? I'm not in the market for one, but there are a lot of the features of the LHT I like, at least on paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    If you want to leave, please feel free to. And thank you for answering a question that was asked twice. Please note the "IF NOT..." Please keep in mind that whether or not I like you has no bearing on how I (or others who complain) take your posts. Perhaps I should not have been so nice as to hint.
    But what have I done?...What's my offense other than voicing my opinion about what I think of the LHT?

    How could anyone take offense about that? Even if they did, that would be quite petty and insignificant.
    Last edited by SlimRider; 11-29-12 at 09:29 PM.

  17. #17
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were speaking truth from your experiences then there was no offense! That's why I asked if you rode it and "IF NOT..." But if you were NOT, then info from inexperience might be misleading, which could be construed as trolling.

    That is why I HINTED at you. So you can answer if you rode it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also curious. Can anyone point out what inherent features would make, say a 26"-wheeled LHT, a bad rando bike for an event like the PBP?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    I am also curious. Can anyone point out what inherent features would make, say a 26"-wheeled LHT, a bad rando bike for an event like the PBP?
    I don't know if "bad" is the right word. It's more like, if you like the way a bus handles it'll probably be just fine. You can do long distance riding on all sorts of different bikes. Whether it's the optimal bike for an individuals needs and requirements is a different question.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A touring bike needs to be quite rigid to allow for heavy loads. So any touring bike is going to be heavy and harsh riding, making it sub-optimal for rando riding.

    Certainly people do it. I wouldn't. Touring is not rando/LD/ultra.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    northern Deep South
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Posts
    1,908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
    A touring bike needs to be quite rigid to allow for heavy loads. So any touring bike is going to be heavy and harsh riding, making it sub-optimal for rando riding.
    The frame itself may add a pound over a light road bike; anything else can be changed. A pound isn't much, when you consider frame plus components plus equipment plus rider weight.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    The frame itself may add a pound over a light road bike; anything else can be changed. A pound isn't much, when you consider frame plus components plus equipment plus rider weight.
    Rather more than a pound I would think, over a light road bike. The fork itself would add more than that. Regardless, the weight is only one part of the problem. You still have the geo and rigidity. What does it have in its favour?

    I'm not saying you can't do it. If it's your only bike, then it's the one you should ride. If you're buying a bike for rando, I would recommend others.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why we're even talking about this bike in this forum.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Steamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    high ground
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    The frame itself may add a pound over a light road bike; anything else can be changed. A pound isn't much, when you consider frame plus components plus equipment plus rider weight.
    My two cents: That extra pound means relatively little in terms of the extra burden of dragging it up each hill, but it will change the feel of the bike noticably. That stiffer / more dead feeling combined with the high trail front end and longer wheelbase makes the experience of riding the bike psychologically more difficult, if not significantly more difficult in objective reality. A lot of folks just prefer a different ride, feel, and handling of different types of bikes. How the bike just simply feels underneath you does count for something. In rando, you're perched on the damn thing all day long, so one needs to be content with one's chosen machine. So, that is to say, if one is happy with a LHT, then it works.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Steamer. Comfort on long distance rides is most likely the #1 priority. Physical and mental conditioning/preparation, geometry, fitting, tires, saddle, handlebar type & tape, shoes, clothing, gloves will most likely make the biggest difference on a rando event. I don't own a Surly LHT, but people rave about how comfortable it is. Let's not forget that people touring on this bike also spend long days on the saddle day after day. They do go slower and only complete 60-75 miles per day, but this is given to how much weight they carry fully loaded. The ability to install a front or rear rack for essential gear and spares (we know this is so important in a brevet where self-sufficiency is key) without the feeling of becoming too squirrely/nervous (or compromising a carbon fork or frame) is another big plus on the LHT. IMHO, all these things combined make the LHT an excellent candidate for long distance riding in the form of randonneuring. If one is looking into a bike more specific for rando purposes, yes, there are better bikes out there. Randonneuring is a very small niche, though. This is reflected in the number of off-the-peg bikes available out there. People, therefore, seem to gravitate toward the LHT if they can only afford/choose one bike. It offers a wider versatility (commuting and touring additionally) without having to recur to having several bikes that perform very similar tasks. To me randonneuring and touring are so awfully similar to the point that it is very hard to justify having two different bikes.
    Last edited by Chris Pringle; 11-30-12 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •