Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 104
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol.. my best tires cost me a whole 20 each. To be honest apart from offering more in the way of cushioning and better grip on gravel I sense no speed advantage when comparing 1.75 26 inch tires on my modded mtb and 28c 700's on my hybrid. In a race it might matter, when commuting it seems marginal at best.

  2. #27
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    Lol.. my best tires cost me a whole 20 each. To be honest apart from offering more in the way of cushioning and better grip on gravel I sense no speed advantage when comparing 1.75 26 inch tires on my modded mtb and 28c 700's on my hybrid. In a race it might matter, when commuting it seems marginal at best.
    This is not the commuting forum...

    for long distance, performance riding a nice set of tires is the best investment you can make.

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not the commuting forum...

    for long distance, performance riding a nice set of tires is the best investment you can make.
    Ride 500km a week and 160-200km every weekend on said tires. No complaints.

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    I enjoy the white walls too.
    They are actually "natural rubber" color (sort of a light brown/beige). It was common for all tires "some years ago" even 21 mm "racing" tires.

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    Ride 500km a week and 160-200km every weekend on said tires. No complaints.
    Again, it's different. The rando rides basically start at 200km and have to be completed in a set amount of time. Small advantages in efficiency start to add-up to be significant on those longer rides. The fact that you have "no complaints" doesn't mean that these other tires won't be better for other people.

  6. #31
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dunno. My tires may be better:

    I've don't usually pimp my tires, but these have been exceptional. Very smooth roll, fewer cuts or flats than normal, little tendency to pick up glass, great traction in the wet. These four attributes are usually incompatible. I'm running 19mm rims with 25c tires. I think they would be even nicer on 22mm or 23mm rims. Good tire for 90% of randonneurs.

  7. #32
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,110
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    Again, it's different. The rando rides basically start at 200km and have to be completed in a set amount of time. Small advantages in efficiency start to add-up to be significant on those longer rides. The fact that you have "no complaints" doesn't mean that these other tires won't be better for other people.
    Lighten up, man -- centuries count here and he does plenty of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  8. #33
    Senior Member Commodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    I dunno. My tires may be better:

    I've don't usually pimp my tires, but these have been exceptional. Very smooth roll, fewer cuts or flats than normal, little tendency to pick up glass, great traction in the wet. These four attributes are usually incompatible. I'm running 19mm rims with 25c tires. I think they would be even nicer on 22mm or 23mm rims. Good tire for 90% of randonneurs.
    You must have nicer roads down thar. I'm partial to the big fatties round these parts.

  9. #34
    Senior Member Chesha Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    I dunno. My tires may be better:

    I've don't usually pimp my tires, but these have been exceptional. Very smooth roll, fewer cuts or flats than normal, little tendency to pick up glass, great traction in the wet. These four attributes are usually incompatible. I'm running 19mm rims with 25c tires. I think they would be even nicer on 22mm or 23mm rims. Good tire for 90% of randonneurs.
    I was running those right before I switched to Hetres on 650B. I agree, the 25mm PRO4 SC is a great supple and light tire. Going to Hetres has been an incremental improvement overall, except cornering on the Hetres is even more amazing than the PRO4's, which were the best I'd tried to that point. The trade off is a bit more rolling resistance IMO with the Hetre's, which I feel is worth it for the increased comfort -- for me.
    Last edited by Chesha Neko; 03-28-13 at 01:16 PM.
    "I stick to my basic plan of simply keeping the pedals turning."
    -- Kent Peterson, The Way of the Mountain Turtle

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    Lighten up, man -- centuries count here and he does plenty of them.
    ??? "Count" for what? We also have no idea at all what tires he's talking about. So, it can't "count" for anything!

    He missed the point (as you did). Twice.

    A few percentages of efficiency really don't matter that much for a century or most double metrics (since it's generally fairly easy to finish them comfortably in the alloted time and in daylight). And, if the extra efficiency reduces the amount of time you need to right at night, the value of that efficiency is larger (since people tend to be slower riding at night).

    (You should take your own advice, by the way.)
    Last edited by njkayaker; 03-28-13 at 01:34 PM.

  11. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to trying these tires soon. I want to go all the way with Extra Leger, Pacenti rims, and a Stan's tubeless setup. I think that is about as good as it gets for 650b x 42mm performance!

  12. #37
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,110
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    ??? "Count" for what? We also have no idea at all what tires he's talking about. So, it can't "count" for anything!

    He missed the point (as you did). Twice.

    A few percentages of efficiency really don't matter that much for a century or most double metrics (since it's generally fairly easy to finish them comfortably in the alloted time and in daylight). And, if the extra efficiency reduces the amount of time you need to right at night, the value of that efficiency is larger (since people tend to be slower riding at night).

    (You should take your own advice, by the way.)
    Quote Originally Posted by LD forum description
    Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials?
    By "count" I meant he does ride the type of distances that we discuss here, so krobinson's input is not as irrelevant as you would make it out to be.

    BTW, "calmer 'n you."
    Last edited by ThermionicScott; 03-28-13 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    220km in 10 hours (with 2000m of climbing) and 160km in 5:45 on a flat bar that weighs 14kg loaded fast enough for you? Way under the time limit. Mitchellon country and gravel (or a similar one). They have little or no flat protectipn but rolling resistence is mininal at speeds up to 60kmh at which point I have luttle desire to go faster anyway.
    Last edited by krobinson103; 03-28-13 at 03:49 PM.

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    I dunno. My tires may be better:

    I've don't usually pimp my tires, but these have been exceptional. Very smooth roll, fewer cuts or flats than normal, little tendency to pick up glass, great traction in the wet. These four attributes are usually incompatible. I'm running 19mm rims with 25c tires. I think they would be even nicer on 22mm or 23mm rims. Good tire for 90% of randonneurs.
    I am spoiled by super-wide tires now. I have been riding handmade 25mm tubulars this week and am annoyed at how harsh they are. Twenty years ago I considered such tires the lap of luxury.

    (On the racing bike with the tubulars my normal route takes me 65 minutes. On the Rohloff/Hetre bike it takes me 68. I would not race with Hetres, but at this point in my life, those three minutes couldn't be less important.)

  15. #40
    Senior Member Chesha Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    I am spoiled by super-wide tires now. I have been riding handmade 25mm tubulars this week and am annoyed at how harsh they are. Twenty years ago I considered such tires the lap of luxury.

    (On the racing bike with the tubulars my normal route takes me 65 minutes. On the Rohloff/Hetre bike it takes me 68. I would not race with Hetres, but at this point in my life, those three minutes couldn't be less important.)
    +1. This sums it up.
    "I stick to my basic plan of simply keeping the pedals turning."
    -- Kent Peterson, The Way of the Mountain Turtle

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree. Who really cares about 3 minutes?

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    Totally agree. Who really cares about 3 minutes?
    This is silly. No one is "caring" about just 3 minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    Lol.. my best tires cost me a whole 20 each. To be honest apart from offering more in the way of cushioning and better grip on gravel I sense no speed advantage when comparing 1.75 26 inch tires on my modded mtb and 28c 700's on my hybrid. In a race it might matter, when commuting it seems marginal at best.
    To be "honest", this really doesn't mean much. Are you saying that you'd complete a road 300k in the same amount of time on both with the same amount of effort?

    3 minutes for a short ride that doesn't have time limits isn't that valuable. That's obvious and not what people are talking about. And the benefit could be more compared to another tire. That 3 minutes is 30 minutes on a 10 h ride (about a 200k). It's 1 h on a 20 h ride. That could easily be the difference between qualifying and not qualify for many riders.

    http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/0...ance-of-tires/

    The fastest tire, the Deda Tre, rolled 20% faster than the slowest, the Rivendell Nifty-Swifty. A 20% difference in on-the-road speed is huge!
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    220km in 10 hours (with 2000m of climbing) and 160km in 5:45 on a flat bar that weighs 14kg loaded fast enough for you? Way under the time limit. Mitchellon country and gravel (or a similar one). They have little or no flat protectipn but rolling resistence is mininal at speeds up to 60kmh at which point I have luttle desire to go faster anyway.
    It doesn't appear that that tire is being sold in the US. It's listed as "discontinued" here. But at least people now have some idea what tire you are talking about.

    http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222369450/544/Michelin-Country-Gravel.html

    It's still listed on the Michelin site but no other US company appears to sell them.

    http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...trygravel.view

    This tire is "similar" and about $20.

    http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...untryrock.view

    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    220km in 10 hours (with 2000m of climbing) and 160km in 5:45 on a flat bar that weighs 14kg loaded fast enough for you? Way under the time limit. Mitchellon country and gravel (or a similar one). They have little or no flat protectipn but rolling resistence is mininal at speeds up to 60kmh at which point I have luttle desire to go faster anyway.
    How does your speed help other riders?
    Last edited by njkayaker; 03-29-13 at 07:33 AM.

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    By "count" I meant he does ride the type of distances that we discuss here, so krobinson's input is not as irrelevant as you would make it out to be.
    It isn't at all clear what the heck his "input" means.


    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    BTW, "calmer 'n you."
    Not really.

  19. #44
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 minutes isn't necessarily the point. Not getting tired while hanging with a group is nice, though. Not getting flats is nice. If one has a good LD frame, tires and pressures don't make or break anything. I've ridden 23c @ 140 lbs. on many a long ride or brevet with complete comfort and not a little speed. Saying "my tires are better than your tires" is pretty funny though. On what bike in which season in what weather on which roads with what expectations with which riders? But I hope the sixer meant this thread to be entertaining rather than a flame-fest. Entertainment is what's being offered, that's for sure.

    I would say that if I added 3 minutes in 20-25 miles I'd be so far off the back of the group of friends that I hang with now - and going a little harder is not an option. But everyone has a different situation, different goals. Ride what makes you happy, if you can find it, happiness that is. Tire technology keeps changing and getting better. My favorite tires last year are not my favorite tires this year. It's a constant search.

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did indeed mean the thread name as tongue-in-cheek; kind of poking fun at how emotional we can get about things like bike tires. And as you point out, Carbonfiberboy, "better" can mean all sorts of things to different people.

    The only "serious" issue here, IMO, is "Here are the new Hetres, and here is what they are about" - just for folks who may be considering them, or may perhaps think ultra-wide tires automatically relegate a bike to "cruising the bike path" duty.

  21. #46
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,110
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll teach ya to post a joke thread about a serious topic here on BF.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently not...

  23. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and FWIW, note that the three minutes I wrote about are not just tires - or maybe not tires at all. On my racing bike I have proper cleats, a low/aerodynamic position, an efficient drivetrain, and maybe the fastest tires available today. On the Rohloff bike I have (obviously) a Rohloff hub, very heavy wheels/rims, a relaxed position, and plain rubber soles with loose toe straps.

    So while I won't try to argue that Hetres are as fast as FMB tubulars, I will definitely argue with anyone claiming that Hetres are significantly slower than the typical "performance" clincher used by many of today's randonneurs.

  24. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be "honest", this really doesn't mean much. Are you saying that you'd complete a road 300k in the same amount of time on both with the same amount of effort
    Nope I'm saying I couldn't care less if its harder... I'll just cycle a little harder. Anyway its not my goal here to justify which tire is best, but to state that it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Its always been my feeling that a ride is 90% rider and 10% bike. I could be riding the best cf roadie in the world and a pro racer could wipe me off the map on a $100 walmart mtb.

    If you like your tires good for you. If you are saying that they are a deal breaker for a longer rider... sorry can't agree. The difference between knobblies and slicks? Obvously. But slicks vs slicks? Don't think so.

  25. #50
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, no, krobinson103.

    Tires do indeed make that much of a difference.

    there are garden hoses, and there are teflon pillows on crack.

    20 bucks a tire buys a rider garden hose.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •