Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/)
-   -   Fenders (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/908859-fenders.html)

Randolfo 08-22-13 08:59 AM

Fenders
 
I had read about how nice fenders can be if you are caught in the rain. The knowledge was always in the back of my mind, but I did not really think about it much. Last night, nature drove the lesson home with first hand knowledge. I actually think my back and backside where more wet from the water on the road than anything falling on me. Since I have a goal to complete some brevets in the future, I guess I should just get them.

Did I mention I am an unapologetic and complete noob? So, are SKS Longboards going to work with my BD Motobecane Gran Turismo? Are there better options?

Bandera 08-22-13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolfo (Post 15987567)
So, are SKS Longboards going to work with my BD Motobecane Gran Turismo? Are there better options?

They are listed as "Fits Wheel Size: 700 x 42mm", what size tires are you running?

Lots of good options out there, SKS is one. Planet Bike, Velo Orange or Honcho depending on what materials/price/style you require. Since my ancient Blumels finally gave up the ghost I put Planet_B on two of my machines, but SKS would have been perfectly acceptable mudguards.

Now a lengthy drought is assured.

-Bandera

Randolfo 08-22-13 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 15988139)
They are listed as "Fits Wheel Size: 700 x 42mm", what size tires are you running?

Lots of good options out there, SKS is one. Planet Bike, Velo Orange or Honcho depending on what materials/price/style you require. Since my ancient Blumels finally gave up the ghost I put Planet_B on two of my machines, but SKS would have been perfectly acceptable mudguards.

Now a lengthy drought is assured.

-Bandera

The bike is pretty new (the tires have not been changed), but the website says the are 700x32c. I am guessing I will look at the others as well. Although the black would look pretty nice on my bike.

StephenH 08-22-13 11:49 AM

It sorta depends on how much it rains in your area. Here in Dallas, and in Houston, most of the rando riders don't use fenders, up in the Northwest, they do. My bike came with fenders, and I haven't used them in a year or so.

Randolfo 08-22-13 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 15988318)
It sorta depends on how much it rains in your area. Here in Dallas, and in Houston, most of the rando riders don't use fenders, up in the Northwest, they do. My bike came with fenders, and I haven't used them in a year or so.

Last year, we had a drought and everything was pretty much dead by the end of June of beginning of July. This year, it has rained considerably. It does rain here throughout the fall usually. But you do raise an excellent point.

StephenH 08-22-13 12:06 PM

Note that if it rains a lot, you're all wet anyway. If you have a rear rack, that keeps some of the splash off of you, if you have a wide frame, that helps keep some of it off. I've seen some of the NW guys talk about riding on wet roads all day long but never actually being in the rain, and fenders would be good there. If you're actually drafting on wet roads, it would be more important- we just normally spread out some in that case.

Also, note that RUSA sells reflective mudflaps to go on your fenders if you go that route.

Doohickie 08-22-13 12:11 PM

I have Longboards on a bike with 35mm wide tires; they fit fine and while we don't get a ton of rain, when we do get rain I love having them. Not sure if they still have them, but I bought mine online and bought cream colored Longboards; they were a lot less than silver or black.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...S/IMG_2365.jpg

Chris Pringle 08-22-13 12:28 PM

Over the last year or so we installed fenders on a couple of our bikes down here in sunny Mexico. We use these bikes for long-distance riding on weekends. We noticed a lot of fenders mounted on cruiser/low-end MTB's ridden by locals who use their bikes everyday. The weather here is overall dry year-round except for the 2-3 months of summer rain. So, we decided to give them a try. One thing that we have discovered about fenders is that not only do they protect the rider from rain or nasty stuff from the occasional puddle of water on the road. They also make a huge difference in protecting the paint on your frame and keeping the drivetrain clean(er) from all the crud that accumulates on the road during the long dry season. In other words, they really cut down on the wear and tear of your drivetrain components. The 1 lb. or so of additional weight is so much worth it now that we've discovered them. The major drawback is that they're a bit pain to dismount/mount if you travel often with your bike (i.e. fly, put your bike inside the car, etc.)

Randolfo 08-22-13 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 15988386)
Note that if it rains a lot, you're all wet anyway. If you have a rear rack, that keeps some of the splash off of you, if you have a wide frame, that helps keep some of it off. I've seen some of the NW guys talk about riding on wet roads all day long but never actually being in the rain, and fenders would be good there. If you're actually drafting on wet roads, it would be more important- we just normally spread out some in that case.

Also, note that RUSA sells reflective mudflaps to go on your fenders if you go that route.

The more I think about it, I live in the Ohio River Valley area, and although it might not be the most extreme weather change, it can be quite surprising. So, I am sure I will end up purchasing them.

I also just paid my dues for RUSA.

Bandera 08-22-13 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolfo (Post 15988516)
The more I think about it, I live in the Ohio River Valley area, and although it might not be the most extreme weather change, it can be quite surprising. So, I am sure I will end up purchasing them.

Take a look at your fork before you do. The pic online at BD shows a proper double fitting on the rear dropout for rack & fenders but I don't see an eyelet fitting on the fork. Perhaps the low-rider braze-on could be kludged into service to mount the front fender?

Not an issue on a frame w/ cantis but I used "Sheldon's Fender Nuts" w/ the caliper brakes on my rando-ish bike so once fitted the mudguards can be removed/installed in minutes as we enter our summer drought. When it rains it pours.

-Bandera

Randolfo 08-22-13 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 15988636)
Take a look at your fork before you do. The pic online at BD shows a proper double fitting on the rear dropout for rack & fenders but I don't see an eyelet fitting on the fork. Perhaps the low-rider braze-on could be kludged into service to mount the front fender?

Not an issue on a frame w/ cantis but I used "Sheldon's Fender Nuts" w/ the caliper brakes on my rando-ish bike so once fitted the mudguards can be removed/installed in minutes as we enter our summer drought. When it rains it pours.

-Bandera

I will take a look when I get home, and before I purchase, but I was pretty sure they are there on the front fork.

Bandera 08-22-13 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 15988405)
while we don't get a ton of rain, when we do get rain I love having them.

Same here. My area is criss-crossed by dozens of "low water crossings" that are dry in the drought, drowning deep in flash floods and wet for odd periods after rain. It's still pretty rural for most of my riding range with active ranching & farming operations. Not to put too fine a point on it but agricultural "runoff" of various types accumulates in the low water crossings. It's a good idea to close your mouth when riding through each one but I prefer to have a road bike set-up fenders capable to keep that "stuff" off me and the bike. Those conditions also keep Captain Fast and the Uber$$-Nano-Tech bike crowd off the road.


-Bandera

unterhausen 08-22-13 05:24 PM

the happiest I have been with my fenders happened recently when I had to cross a 2" tall, 3' wide trail of very soft manure stretching from one side of the road to another. I think in Amish country, fenders are a health requirement.

Randolfo 08-22-13 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 15988636)
Take a look at your fork before you do. The pic online at BD shows a proper double fitting on the rear dropout for rack & fenders but I don't see an eyelet fitting on the fork. Perhaps the low-rider braze-on could be kludged into service to mount the front fender?

Not an issue on a frame w/ cantis but I used "Sheldon's Fender Nuts" w/ the caliper brakes on my rando-ish bike so once fitted the mudguards can be removed/installed in minutes as we enter our summer drought. When it rains it pours.

-Bandera

I was kinda sure that when I ordered the bike, there was something on the listing about this, but they are there. I appreciate the help. Now, to decide which ones.

Randolfo 08-22-13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 15989488)
the happiest I have been with my fenders happened recently when I had to cross a 2" tall, 3' wide trail of very soft manure stretching from one side of the road to another. I think in Amish country, fenders are a health requirement.

I can see this happening to me without the fenders.

Bandera 08-22-13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 15989488)
the happiest I have been with my fenders happened recently when I had to cross a 2" tall, 3' wide trail of very soft manure stretching from one side of the road to another. I think in Amish country, fenders are a health requirement.

Hence the British term/euphemism from the turn of the previous century when draft horses were an everyday commonplace: "Mudguards". Mud indeed.

-Bandera

Bandera 08-22-13 07:26 PM

It just occurred to me that while other silos on BF are arguing about hydraulic shifting, electric brakes and nano-technology aero doo-dads we are considering how to keep animal poop, agricultural chemical runoff and toxic road waste off one's back.

Everyone has their own priorities.

-Bandera

Bacciagalupe 08-22-13 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 15989871)
It just occurred to me that while other silos on BF are arguing about hydraulic shifting... we are considering how to keep animal poop, agricultural chemical runoff and toxic road waste off one's back.

Did you miss the LD thread on electronic shifting? ;)

Bandera 08-22-13 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe (Post 15989935)
Did you miss the LD thread on electronic shifting? ;)

I'm sure that it was riveting but I must have been out walking the dog or something.
Please let me know how it turns out.

PS
Have you installed proper mudguards on any of your machines?

-Bandera

Randolfo 08-23-13 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe (Post 15989935)
Did you miss the LD thread on electronic shifting? ;)

I did, and I reacted like anyone who thinks most stuff isn't broke, which is a mixture of stubborness and distrust. (Who needs it?) I like non indexed shifting, and I think simplicity is a virtue in any machine.

bknaus 09-06-13 04:25 PM

I've never used fenders but I know at UC Davis where some of my friends went there are always puddles and every bike has fenders. They refer to the water/mud splash line up your back as the "freshman stripe" since everyone gets fenders after their first year and first experiences with "the stripe"

Homeyba 09-06-13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bknaus (Post 16038857)
I've never used fenders but I know at UC Davis where some of my friends went there are always puddles and every bike has fenders. They refer to the water/mud splash line up your back as the "freshman stripe" since everyone gets fenders after their first year and first experiences with "the stripe"

Wow, things must have really changed since I was doing brevets out of Davis. I don't remember even seeing a bike with fenders? I'm sure they were around but it certainly wasn't everybody. Even on the Gold Rush 1200k there were a few but they were mostly northern riders...ie from Washington, Canada etc. You got me curious, I'll have to check my pics.

daihard 09-06-13 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 15988386)
I've seen some of the NW guys talk about riding on wet roads all day long but never actually being in the rain, and fenders would be good there. If you're actually drafting on wet roads, it would be more important- we just normally spread out some in that case.

Yes, just like this evening, the sky is clear but the roads are pretty wet from yesterday's thunderstorm... Welcome to the Pacific Northwest. :)

I've got Cascadia fenders from Planet Bike. Look pretty nice.

Homeyba 09-06-13 08:20 PM

I just looked through my Gold rush pics and I saw two bikes with fenders. I know there were more because a number of guys from guys from the NW were there and they most often have fenders on their bikes. Interestingly, I looked through my Cascade 1200k pics and it looks like about a 1/3 of the riders had them, and it rained on that ride. That took a while because I have 1500+/- pics from 16 different people. Thanks for bringing that up, brought back lots of memories!

My thoughts on fenders is that it's more for the guy behind you than for yourself. ;) If it's raining you're going to get wet, doesn't matter if you have fenders or not. Puddles I ride around. As far as dirt and grim goes? I clean my bike after every long brevet anyway, I don't know that it's ever been that horribly dirty that it makes a big difference. Personally, I think they are more of a hassle than they are worth but I know lots of people who think otherwise.
Really Unterhausen, you couldn't dodge or jump the poop??? ;););)

A pic from the Cascade 1200k, a beautiful ride!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps9a09317d.jpg
btw, take in the horror of that pic. Two guys with no fenders, no brooks saddles, 23mm tires, and hardly any baggage, in Washington for 1200kms no less! They must have been mud caked, saddle sore'd puddles of boneless flesh after such a long ride. How did they do it. ;);););)

Rowan 09-06-13 08:59 PM

I have used mudguards/fenders for a long time on a wide list of bikes.

However, they are not the be all and end all of rain protection.

For a start, in any sort of rain, as soon as you exceed 5mph in forward motion, the rain effectively becomes horizontal. That means you legs, feet and torso are going to get wet. Simply, a front fender won't help. A rear fender will help reduce the water and crud thrown up your butt and back, if you don't have a rear rack with a solid deck fitted.

Another issue is that bicycle tyres rotate the water they pick up from the road about 270 degrees, so from the front wheel, with fenders or not, there will be a spray or water being thrown forward, which with the forward motion, then lands back on your legs, and crotch.

In my experience, fenders come into their own when the rain has passed and the road is wet. In all conditions, they also reduce the amount of grit that is thrown back into the BB area and on to the drive train. This latter point is often missed, because it applies equally to dry conditions, not just wet ones.

Now on to mud flaps. While using fenders when pacelining is considered to be a good thing, you really do need a mudflap on the rear that drops down within inches of the road surface to be fully effective in cutting out the "rooster" tail for following riders. Plus, a generous mudflap on the front fender also cuts down water and grit thrown back on to the BB and shoes.

And while this might apply more to touring cyclists, when you travel a lot with your bike, use plastic fenders that will regain their shape automatically. Metal ones are not a good idea, and brittle plastic ones will break. Trying to shoehorn bikes into cars, into lifts and other tight places can be challenging for fenders.

My favourites for a long time have been SKS ones, but even they can be broken given the "right" circumstances.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.