Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/)
-   -   Back Roads Century (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/909624-back-roads-century.html)

Chris516 08-26-13 09:18 PM

Back Roads Century
 
Has anyone here done any of the routes(25/40, 50/80, 65/104, 100/160) that the Back Roads Century has? I signed up for the 65mi./104km (metric) century. It will be in four weeks, and I am curious about the route for this year? I have been looking at last year's routes. I will have my cell phone with me, along with my ID. But how much are the police involved in traffic control or the routes marked apart from the cue sheets? I know I can ask on their website, but I want to hear from those who have actually done any of the routes and what their experiences are.

JimF22003 08-27-13 04:39 AM

Hi Chris,

I've done this ride 4 or 5 times now. As far as I know the routes have never changed, so this is probably correct.

There are no police involved unless there's an accident :) All of the riding is out on the open roads, but it's all back farm country roads with very little traffic. I can't recall if there are markings on the road, but I'd be surprised if there weren't. This ride has LOTS of participation, so most likely you'll never be in a position where you won't see riders in front of or behind you.

There are some nice rollers, but no major climbs.

For the full century the ride is split into two parts, and the halfway point is back at the start. That makes it easy to dress for the cool weather in the first loop, and then drop the extra clothes for the second loop. I'm not sure what parts are cut out for the metric route.

It's a great event. Have fun!

Chris516 08-27-13 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 16003001)
Hi Chris,

I've done this ride 4 or 5 times now. As far as I know the routes have never changed, so this is probably correct.

There are no police involved unless there's an accident :) All of the riding is out on the open roads, but it's all back farm country roads with very little traffic. I can't recall if there are markings on the road, but I'd be surprised if there weren't. This ride has LOTS of participation, so most likely you'll never be in a position where you won't see riders in front of or behind you.

There are some nice rollers, but no major climbs.

For the full century the ride is split into two parts, and the halfway point is back at the start. That makes it easy to dress for the cool weather in the first loop, and then drop the extra clothes for the second loop. I'm not sure what parts are cut out for the metric route.

It's a great event. Have fun!

While they still have the routes posted from 2012. The website says that different routes will be posted for 2013, at the beginning of next month. I did take a look at some of the roads, from the 2012 routes. My main concern with some of the back country roads is. While less traveled by motorized traffic, is the pavement.

Seeing that you live in Northern VA, if you have ever been on Schaeffer Rd. and White Grounds Rd. that run along the edge of South Germantown Regional Park, some spots seem like real good 'tire poppers'. That is why I ask about the BRC routes having potential like that. A road less traveled, is also a road less maintained. Schaeffer and White Grounds Rd. certainly qualify for that definition.

MattFoley 08-27-13 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 16003001)
Hi Chris,

I've done this ride 4 or 5 times now. As far as I know the routes have never changed, so this is probably correct.

I can't recall if there are markings on the road, but I'd be surprised if there weren't. This ride has LOTS of participation, so most likely you'll never be in a position where you won't see riders in front of or behind you.

I've never done the actual ride, but my wife and I went out for a ride in Berryville a few weeks ago and rode most of southern portion of the route and there were markings at nearly every intersection. The markings clearly had been there for a while, but to someone who has done a lot of organized centuries, it was obvious they were route markings for Back Roads.

JimF22003 08-28-13 03:46 AM

I have ridden those roads in MoCo many times. The roads near Berryville are comparable. They are variable, but they are just country roads after all. That means some are good, but some are chip-sealed, and some have lots of pot-holes etc. You won't find any gravel, but you'll find just about anything else.

Chris516 09-08-13 05:46 PM

They posted the routes on the website. They made the metric too easy. They have segments of 12.7, 30.7, 43.6, 56.6, and 65. All have rest stops in between, with the third rest stop where riders can change for the weather and get provided food. If there weren't so many rest stops it would be more challenging. Can I skip a rest stop if I want to?

Steamer 09-08-13 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 16044595)
Can I skip a rest stop if I want to?

Heh. I'd sure think so.

Chris516 09-08-13 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamer (Post 16044917)
Heh. I'd sure think so.

Good.

songfta 09-10-13 08:51 PM

As somebody who has been involved in running the Back Roads Century (BRC) in 2010 and 2011 (and will volunteer again this year), some random facts about the ride:

- The routes aren't changing from previous years, unless there is road construction that prevents sections from being used. The course crew does the markings and a trial ride the weekend before (i.e. this coming weekend) to work out and last-minute kinks.

- No, it's not necessary to stop at every rest stop. I rode the route one year with just one stop (at White Post Restorations, where the tomato sandwiches are delicious). The stops are used for multiple routes, so the distance between stops caters to different groups from different rides.

- The top rest stops in terms of use are Clarke County High School (i.e. the start, midpoint, and finish), Burwell-Morgan Mill, and White Post Restorations. All three are well-stocked.

- The local constabulary along the route is well aware of the ride and does run patrols along the course, albeit unobtrusively. There is decent cell coverage along most of the course, and the cue sheets have emergency phone numbers if things go awry. SAG vehicles are always driving along the route to assist riders in need and coordinate emergency personnel, if needed.

- That said, like any organized ride, the riders represent all cyclists while on the route. So it's best to be a good steward for cycling: ride respectfully; fall into single file if cars are behind or if faster groups of riders want to pass; don't litter (esp. pesky are energy gel packets - stash the empty packets under the leg of your shorts); don't urinate in public; and if there is a driver who tries to engage, don't engage back - leave that to the representatives of Potomac Pedalers.

It's a fun ride through lovely, rural country - enjoy it! And say hi to the emcee at the post-ride raffle - that's me! :)

Chris516 09-10-13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songfta (Post 16053075)
As somebody who has been involved in running the Back Roads Century (BRC) in 2010 and 2011 (and will volunteer again this year), some random facts about the ride:

- The routes aren't changing from previous years, unless there is road construction that prevents sections from being used. The course crew does the markings and a trial ride the weekend before (i.e. this coming weekend) to work out and last-minute kinks.

- No, it's not necessary to stop at every rest stop. I rode the route one year with just one stop (at White Post Restorations, where the tomato sandwiches are delicious). The stops are used for multiple routes, so the distance between stops caters to different groups from different rides.

- The top rest stops in terms of use are Clarke County High School (i.e. the start, midpoint, and finish), Burwell-Morgan Mill, and White Post Restorations. All three are well-stocked.

- The local constabulary along the route is well aware of the ride and does run patrols along the course, albeit unobtrusively. There is decent cell coverage along most of the course, and the cue sheets have emergency phone numbers if things go awry. SAG vehicles are always driving along the route to assist riders in need and coordinate emergency personnel, if needed.

- That said, like any organized ride, the riders represent all cyclists while on the route. So it's best to be a good steward for cycling: ride respectfully; fall into single file if cars are behind or if faster groups of riders want to pass; don't litter (esp. pesky are energy gel packets - stash the empty packets under the leg of your shorts); don't urinate in public; and if there is a driver who tries to engage, don't engage back - leave that to the representatives of Potomac Pedalers.

It's a fun ride through lovely, rural country - enjoy it! And say hi to the emcee at the post-ride raffle - that's me! :)

Thanks, Definitely, Food for thought.

Chris516 09-16-13 11:56 AM

What happens in the event of rain?

JimF22003 09-17-13 03:00 AM

You'll get wet. These kinds of rides are always rain or shine. Only a hurricane or something like that would cancel it.

Chris516 09-17-13 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 16074036)
You'll get wet. These kinds of rides are always rain or shine. Only a hurricane or something like that would cancel it.

Lol:lol: I am laughing because your response made me think 'Rain or shine, is just fine. But hurricanes ain't mine'.

The rain question, thinking back on it, was kind of stupidly obvious. Because I have seen the 'Big Three'(TDF, Giro, Vuelta) all run in the rain.

songfta 09-17-13 09:56 PM

It's a valid question, Chris, as Pedalers rides tend to err on the side of "we will melt if it rains!" in terms of canceling normal, scheduled, free rides.

But for the BRC, it rolls regardless - save for the aforementioned hurricane, or a derecho, or a tornado, et al. The course isn't one that is overly technical - two crossings of train tracks (before and after the White Post Restorations rest stop that aren't in the middle of turns, luckily), but otherwise no tight turns on downhills. As long as you take it easy, no biggie.

Only one paid century ride I've ever done has been rescheduled: the Civil War Century, about 3 or 4 years ago, due to a passing hurricane.

songfta 09-17-13 10:02 PM

And FYI: if your bike lacks fenders, if you have clip-ons, use 'em if it rains at the BRC. At a social ride, it's a nice gesture, and it'll keep your posterior more dry, and keep some of the road grit from getting into the BB and chain.

Chris516 09-18-13 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songfta (Post 16077643)
It's a valid question, Chris, as Pedalers rides tend to err on the side of "we will melt if it rains!" in terms of canceling normal, scheduled, free rides.

But for the BRC, it rolls regardless - save for the aforementioned hurricane, or a derecho, or a tornado, et al. The course isn't one that is overly technical - two crossings of train tracks (before and after the White Post Restorations rest stop that aren't in the middle of turns, luckily), but otherwise no tight turns on downhills. As long as you take it easy, no biggie.

Only one paid century ride I've ever done has been rescheduled: the Civil War Century, about 3 or 4 years ago, due to a passing hurricane.

Lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by songfta (Post 16077664)
And FYI: if your bike lacks fenders, if you have clip-ons, use 'em if it rains at the BRC. At a social ride, it's a nice gesture, and it'll keep your posterior more dry, and keep some of the road grit from getting into the BB and chain.

No fenders, or clip-ons. But them keeping my backside dry makes sense. But aren't you referring to a chainguard like on a cruiser? My bike is a racing bike.

songfta 09-18-13 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 16079077)
No fenders, or clip-ons. But them keeping my backside dry makes sense. But aren't you referring to a chainguard like on a cruiser? My bike is a racing bike.

I, too, have a racing bike - but there are clip-on fender solutions for our lot. Examples:

SKS RaceBlade: http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=p...%20SET%20black

Crud Roadracer: http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer

Both use rubber straps to quickly attach to your frame. While they don't provide exactly the same protection as a set of full-coverage mudguards, they do the trick. I have the SKS units, and they are most handy in questionable weather, adding a trivial amount of weight and a non-trivial amount of comfort in the damp.

JimF22003 09-19-13 07:02 AM

It's looking like rain at the start at least. Time to find out what we're made of :)

I'll probably bring a fresh pair of socks and maybe shorts and jersey to switch into at the halfway point just in case.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 PM.