Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/)
-   -   serious "man pain" near the end of a long ride (may be tmi) (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/916045-serious-man-pain-near-end-long-ride-may-tmi.html)

Steamer 10-14-13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 16160956)
Steamer is one of the few 'bent riders that rides under road conditions as described by the OP because a 'bent doesn't really solve a lot of those issues. If your crotch is going to be hammered on a DF, you can almost always stand and avoid most of the blow. On a 'bent, you get hammered every time.

Yup, I do it mostly just to see if I can pull it off. Luckily, I do...most of the time. Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

delcrossv 10-15-13 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 16160956)
If your crotch is going to be hammered on a DF, you can almost always stand and avoid most of the blow. On a 'bent, you get hammered every time.

Well, you can lift your butt off the seat by bridging between your shoulders and the pedals, but now we're really getting off topic.

Back to your regularly scheduled program folks, nothing to see here.

chandltp 10-15-13 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamer (Post 16159791)
Once I suggested that it was a viable aternative for addressing comfort issues, and I was informed of the error of my ways. :)

Glad I know. I'll avoid talking about using my recumbent for long distance rides :)

Homeyba 10-15-13 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandltp (Post 16162427)
Glad I know. I'll avoid talking about using my recumbent for long distance rides :)

Smart move. Bent butt is really unattractive. :thumb:

unterhausen 10-15-13 11:55 AM

'bent riders are encouraged to post long distance appropriate topics in this forum. In turn, we reserve the right to post some good natured yet stale recumbent-related jokes. The recently completed ToC looked like it was one of the most recumbent friendly 1200k's of recent memory, and I saw that there were quite a few people on 'bents participating

delcrossv 10-15-13 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 16162874)
'bent riders are encouraged to post long distance appropriate topics in this forum. In turn, we reserve the right to post some good natured yet stale recumbent-related jokes. The recently completed ToC looked like it was one of the most recumbent friendly 1200k's of recent memory, and I saw that there were quite a few people on 'bents participating

:thumb:

unterhausen 10-15-13 05:14 PM

I just said the stale jokes thing for Steamer's benefit, because he told me my beard and belly jokes were non-starters. He has neither, unlike me

Steamer 10-15-13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 16163745)
I just said the stale jokes thing for Steamer's benefit, because he told me my beard and belly jokes were non-starters. He has neither, unlike me

i don't get too upset about most 'bent humor. it's usually funny, after all. the usual cliches are tiresome though, not because I am insulted, but because I am put off by the crime against comedy.

rhm 10-15-13 07:28 PM

For the last three summers I rode at least one of my monthly centuries on a recumbent, the last one came to about 150 miles. After that I packed the recumbent up and sent it back to the friend who had lent it to me three years ago. To get any real power I had to push really hard against the seat. My weight was of no help (or more likely I don't have enough of it). I ended up with a very sore back. I'm not saying recumbents are bad, but they involve trading one advantage for another, and one discomfort for another, and so on. If that's for you, go for it. I decided it's not for me.

Why are we talking about recumbents, again?



As for OP's problem, I recommend fatter tires at lower pressure, maybe a different saddle, and a close look at fit. If this discomfort happens again, consider seeing a doctor.

La Tortue 10-15-13 08:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxDKo9-f4Q

Steamer 10-15-13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 16164052)
For the last three summers I rode at least one of my monthly centuries on a recumbent, the last one came to about 150 miles. After that I packed the recumbent up and sent it back to the friend who had lent it to me three years ago. To get any real power I had to push really hard against the seat. My weight was of no help (or more likely I don't have enough of it). I ended up with a very sore back. I'm not saying recumbents are bad, but they involve trading one advantage for another, and one discomfort for another, and so on. If that's for you, go for it. I decided it's not for me.

You might have been doing it wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 16164052)
Why are we talking about recumbents, again?

Told you guys it was OT.


Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 16164052)
As for OP's problem, I recommend fatter tires at lower pressure, maybe a different saddle, and a close look at fit. If this discomfort happens again, consider seeing a doctor.

I agree.

rhm 10-16-13 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamer (Post 16164138)
You might have been doing it wrong.

Indeed, I probably was. One day I may try another one... but the bottom line is that I have plenty of bikes, and despite an honest effort I could not make the recumbent my favorite one.

chandltp 10-16-13 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 16164052)
I'm not saying recumbents are bad, but they involve trading one advantage for another, and one discomfort for another, and so on.

I'm one of the rare ones that get numb feet.. but I'm working through that. Beyond that, my hand and "man" numbness went away. I'd rather have numb feet, since that's not a source of entertainment with my wife.

But I'll agree that there isn't a perfect bike for everyone, recumbent or not.

Leaving original in context, but what I meant to say is that there isn't a single kind of bike that is perfect for everyone.

rhm 10-16-13 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandltp (Post 16165240)
But I'll agree that there isn't a perfect bike for everyone, recumbent or not.

:lol: but that's not what I said!

I remain convinced there is a perfect bike for everyone. The trick is to really understand fit; and I, for one, am still working on this. Numb feet, for example, sounds like a shoe and/or pedal issue. I've had that. Foot pain sucks.

chandltp 10-16-13 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 16165310)
I remain convinced there is a perfect bike for everyone. The trick is to really understand fit; and I, for one, am still working on this. Numb feet, for example, sounds like a shoe and/or pedal issue. I've had that. Foot pain sucks.

I worded that incorrectly. What I meant to say is that there isn't a single kind of bike that's perfect for everyone. But everyone should be able to find their perfect bike.

delcrossv 10-16-13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 16165310)

Numb feet, for example, sounds like a shoe and/or pedal issue. I've had that. Foot pain sucks.

I get it if my shoes are on too tight. "Hotfoot".

rhm 10-16-13 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delcrossv (Post 16165537)
I get it if my shoes are on too tight. "Hotfoot".

Yeah, same here. For walking, I prefer relatively tight shoes; for riding, they have to be roomier. For cold weather riding, even more so.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.