Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-14, 05:09 PM   #1
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Tour de Tasmanie 1200K

Anyone else following the Tour de Tasmanie 1200K?

http://www.tdt1200.com/


They're on the last leg of the journey back to Hobart.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 06:57 AM   #2
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
A few DNFs (3, I think) but all the rest are in. We went down to welcome several of them to the finish.

It's a very tough 1200K.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 06:01 AM   #3
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Tour de Tasmanie 2016

Registration for the Tour de Tasmanie begins August 3, 2015

*Tour de Tas


Are any of you planning to come down to Tasmania?
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 06:20 AM   #4
RR3
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I considered goin but too many rules, I can't comply.
RR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 06:41 AM   #5
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
I considered goin but too many rules, I can't comply.
Just the usual 1200K randonnee rules.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 12:51 PM   #6
LWaB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Auld Blighty
Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I prefer 1200s that don't mandate helmets and are more likely to have good weather.
LWaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 08:49 PM   #7
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
If you're feeling enthusiastic about 1200s and want a hillier challenge than the PBP, I think they're still accepting registrations for the Tour de Tasmania.

Yes, you'll have to wear a helmet, but we all do over here so it's no big deal.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 02:25 AM   #8
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Or if that isn't quite challenging enough for you ... there's this ...

*Trans Oz

Trans Oz
Audax Australia 4000km Randonnée
Fremantle to Bondi Beach

4am 2 August 2017
$2500+ Register 1 August 2016

Last edited by Machka; 08-27-15 at 02:31 AM.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 03:47 PM   #9
RR3
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Just the usual 1200K randonnee rules.
Aer these standard? redundant lighting on the bike? Beenie? Spot Tracker? Space blanket? (seriously) My reflective vest meets EN 1150 but not the special rules imposed and Ido not want to buy another vews. Too many rules. Etc.


Mandatory Carriage of Clothing & Equipment
1. SPOT Tracker or mobile phone app eg FollowMee.
2. Space Blanket (Day 2 and Day 3).
3. Suitable long sleeved rain jacket.
4. Woollen vest or equivalent.
5. Leg & arm warmers, beanie, booties, & long finger gloves.

The lighting requirements are basically very simplea) two independent front lights and two independent rear lights must be available for
use (i.e. attached to the bicycle or carried);
RR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 04:14 PM   #10
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Bikes: 1990s Kojima Climax, SHogun Trainbreaker 4 converted to a Tourer, Giant ATX 840
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
Aer these standard? redundant lighting on the bike? Beenie? Spot Tracker? Space blanket? (seriously) My reflective vest meets EN 1150 but not the special rules imposed and Ido not want to buy another vews. Too many rules. Etc.


Mandatory Carriage of Clothing & Equipment
1. SPOT Tracker or mobile phone app eg FollowMee.
2. Space Blanket (Day 2 and Day 3).
3. Suitable long sleeved rain jacket.
4. Woollen vest or equivalent.
5. Leg & arm warmers, beanie, booties, & long finger gloves.

The lighting requirements are basically very simplea) two independent front lights and two independent rear lights must be available for
use (i.e. attached to the bicycle or carried);
These will all be because you are riding across some remote isolated terrain, above the potential year round snow line, on roads that have steep drops with no guard rails, where if you go over the side and get stuck, it might take a day or two to find you. For example it once snowed 1m in the middle of summer in that area. So all the warm stuff is to keep you alive. If you break your leg or are a fair bit incapacitated, the Devils may eat you. At least with a beacon they can find your skull (their jaws don't go wide enough to get a grip on a human skull apparently). The lights are for the log trucks, they are driven by crazed loons as a rule, they run cars off the road, let alone cyclists!
Trevtassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 05:47 PM   #11
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
These will all be because you are riding across some remote isolated terrain, above the potential year round snow line, on roads that have steep drops with no guard rails, where if you go over the side and get stuck, it might take a day or two to find you. For example it once snowed 1m in the middle of summer in that area. So all the warm stuff is to keep you alive. If you break your leg or are a fair bit incapacitated, the Devils may eat you. At least with a beacon they can find your skull (their jaws don't go wide enough to get a grip on a human skull apparently). The lights are for the log trucks, they are driven by crazed loons as a rule, they run cars off the road, let alone cyclists!



We're not talking highly populated France here.

All that stuff is pretty much what you'd carry on any ride, nevermind a really long one.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 08:07 PM   #12
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite,Trek 1.7c, Specy Hardrock, Nishiki SL1, Jamis Commuter
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWaB View Post
I prefer 1200s that don't mandate helmets and are more likely to have good weather.
There are abundant reasons to wear a helmet in Australia. Here is one of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGTcYfrEZU
znomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 09:17 PM   #13
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
the Seattle Randonneurs require a space blanket on their upcoming 1000k. Sounds scary
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 10:59 PM   #14
LWaB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Auld Blighty
Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go away with your helmet scare stories. The facts speak for themselves. Magpie season is over by the Tour of Tassie.

PBP Randonneur was very enjoyable and a cotton cap was plenty on my head.

Last edited by LWaB; 08-27-15 at 11:36 PM.
LWaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 11:03 PM   #15
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,775
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
There are abundant reasons to wear a helmet in Australia. Here is one of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGTcYfrEZU
Absolutely!! And it is almost magpie season again here.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 AM.