Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-12, 11:16 AM   #3851
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
I guess I need to get the Felt B2 dusted off....
Sara, you too? I had no idea you were a tester. (that's what roadies call time-triallists, over here). Great. We'll form a club of the sub-sixty over-sixties.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:28 AM   #3852
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
I guess I need to get the Felt B2 dusted off....
Felts do not deserve to get dusty. Please attend to it ASAP.

(I race a Felt and love everything about it, in case you didn't know).
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:40 AM   #3853
tomgdaly
The Crank
 
tomgdaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ireland
Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
I'd also invest in a foam roller and develop a post exercise stretching routine. Other than getting the nutrition right I found they are the best thing to help recovery.
I stretch twice a week and have good mobility (I think! - I do hamstring, quads/psoas, glutes, ITB, calves and general trunk). I'm not sure if I'd have the time luxury of doing it after a workout though. I have a foam roller - I use it on ITB to help with a knee problem that I am gradually getting to the bottom of. How do you use it in a general stretching routine - is it just a matter of rolling out the main muscle group?
tomgdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:43 AM   #3854
tomgdaly
The Crank
 
tomgdaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ireland
Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Sara, you too? I had no idea you were a tester. (that's what roadies call time-triallists, over here). Great. We'll form a club of the sub-sixty over-sixties.
Count me in as an aspirant. I have to get 3.30 off over three years - and keep ahead of the 'maturing process' at the same time! To be honest, it seems impossible at the moment!
tomgdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:44 AM   #3855
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Felts do not deserve to get dusty. Please attend to it ASAP.

(I race a Felt and love everything about it, in case you didn't know).
Hah! You're right, Shovel! Hey, she's my "old girl' - a 2004 vintage with the wrong wheels. Hermes has seen me ride it. She'll get cleaned, and ridden, this week. I too am a Felt aficionado. I met Jim Felt last year at an event and had a good chat (and photo op) with him - he's a really nice fella. He knows (now) I love his bikes!

Chasm, I've only raced my B2 in triathlons. That was the original excuse, umm, reason, for buying it. It is time, hi-ho, to perhaps enter a TT or three (I told RR I'd like to do one of those Smack Downs with her). Forming a "Sub-Over" club sounds neat! Lets!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:48 AM   #3856
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, reading the 33 really gets me excited (don't you dare...). I'm becoming more and more convinced I need to have a few crits under my belt this year as part of the "progression". My dilemma is how to start. Those of you local to me, what are your thoughts on this one?

Those of you NOT local to me, any words of wisdom as to my line of thinking? Of course I'd be a Cat 4 tangling with 20 year olds (not really my idea of fun)...
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:58 AM   #3857
dadof7
Senior Member
 
dadof7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: shreve, ohio
Bikes: cannondale, schwinn, specialized moutain bike
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I waxed my head. Now I look like an old guy with a shiny head.

.[/QUOTE] fixed that up for you rx
dadof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:06 PM   #3858
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
Hah! You're right, Shovel! Hey, she's my "old girl' - a 2004 vintage with the wrong wheels. Hermes has seen me ride it. She'll get cleaned, and ridden, this week. I too am a Felt aficionado. I met Jim Felt last year at an event and had a good chat (and photo op) with him - he's a really nice fella. He knows (now) I love his bikes!
2010 F5 Team with full DA7900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
triathlons.


Permaban.

shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:11 PM   #3859
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
So, reading the 33 really gets me excited (don't you dare...). I'm becoming more and more convinced I need to have a few crits under my belt this year as part of the "progression". My dilemma is how to start. Those of you local to me, what are your thoughts on this one?

Those of you NOT local to me, any words of wisdom as to my line of thinking? Of course I'd be a Cat 4 tangling with 20 year olds (not really my idea of fun)...
The women are going as long as anyone but the P12, and there is a hill, so it will be grueling. But hey, any crit is grueling, or you aren't doing it right. Dips in the corners could be anything from the normal concrete depression in the asphalt for intersection runoff, to something more troublesome. But if it were really bad, they probably woudn't use the course.

Nothing improves your bike handling and race IQ like crit's (and track), and you will either love the crit or hate it.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:13 PM   #3860
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
So, reading the 33 really gets me excited (don't you dare...). I'm becoming more and more convinced I need to have a few crits under my belt this year as part of the "progression". My dilemma is how to start. Those of you local to me, what are your thoughts on this one?

Those of you NOT local to me, any words of wisdom as to my line of thinking? Of course I'd be a Cat 4 tangling with 20 year olds (not really my idea of fun)...
If you can, I would try and start with a Women's Cat3/4 field for your first few races. Get your feet wet. Then, I would encourage you to race up (race a younger age group, race with men's fields, Masters, etc.) as much as you can to gain experience from people that know what they are doing. M60+ would be a great place to do that, if they will allow you to.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:23 PM   #3861
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked at the course, and if I read it right, it's technical, with two less than 90* turns. Not the best course to start on. Are there other options?
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:31 PM   #3862
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
2010 F5 Team with full DA7900





Permaban.

Understood!!!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:33 PM   #3863
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
I looked at the course, and if I read it right, it's technical, with two less than 90* turns. Not the best course to start on. Are there other options?
That's what I thought, AzT. I don't know about others (I missed one yesterday that was held RIGHT HERE, next to the airport where I work, while was working) close by, but I am looking.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:39 PM   #3864
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
If you can, I would try and start with a Women's Cat3/4 field for your first few races. Get your feet wet. Then, I would encourage you to race up (race a younger age group, race with men's fields, Masters, etc.) as much as you can to gain experience from people that know what they are doing. M60+ would be a great place to do that, if they will allow you to.
I really, really wish there were more sub-categories in the women's fields! I understand why there aren't; the number of entrants. Race with the men? I'll ask, that's a good suggestion. The thing is, most men are so much stronger than I am, but hey - maybe I can grab a wheel and hang on the flats. Just thinking out loud.

My worries about the Cat 3/4 women's field stem from the silliness I saw in the Sea Otter road race - crashes in the neutral start. WTF... I really, really don't want to hit the deck because of some over hyped mistake on someone else's part (I can crash on my own, thank you very much). But, I know, I have to start somewhere.

AzT, I know the section of town where the Watsonville crit is held - the roads aren't too bad, typical California small city streets, IMHO. Also, right on the on the experience. I need it.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:44 PM   #3865
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post

Those of you NOT local to me, any words of wisdom as to my line of thinking? Of course I'd be a Cat 4 tangling with 20 year olds (not really my idea of fun)...
I'm about as not local to you as you can get. I am, however, an aged Cat4 tangling with 20 year-olds (which might be my idea of fun, depending on the 20 year-old, but let's not go there).

I think it entirely depends on how ready you feel. There's simply no point in racing a crit if one is immediately off the back and simply riding round alone. For me, at least, the learning has come from mixing it with a pretty chaotic and sometimes squirrelly bunch.

I'm not suggesting you're slow, Sara, and I know you have good cornering skills. But speaking for myself, I was astonished in my first crit by how fast it started. Had I been at the back of the bunch waiting on the line I'd have been gone, and unable to grab a wheel. So I'd say, go for it, but choose your race and be prepared to go very hard from the gun.

EDIT. There's a seventeen year-old girl who races with us in the male Cat4 races, here. She's been to one of the training camps I help with in Spain. She can hang in there, more easily than me. Why shouldn't you?
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:01 PM   #3866
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
June 16th http://ncnca.org/sites/default/files...204%20OKED.pdf

I did this race in 2010. The course is flat and easy. Four right hand turns with lots of room and good pavement. They had mentors for the Cat 5 men so they may have them for the Cat 4 women. You can email the race director.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer

Last edited by Hermes; 06-11-12 at 01:09 PM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:01 PM   #3867
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sent an email to the Nevada Senior Games, and it looks like I can qualify there if I place top 4.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:10 PM   #3868
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go get it, AZT. We have a house in Ohio to invade.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:14 PM   #3869
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sara, rather than jump in on a crit, I'd make a suggestion and do the Saturday morning session at Hellyer. You can rent a bike cheap for the training and racing. Once you've got that under your belt hit a few of the Wednesday night races which have a women's 3/4. I've found (for the most part) that the lack of brakes or coasting makes folks a little more circumspect about where they put their wheels and makes for an inherently smoother race (no brakes means no panic stops).

The biggest thing with track racing is that the races are short and you get three different things thrown at you an evening. Each race is different and requires you to think on the fly. It's flat so you're not going to have to deal with skinny climbers. Make a tactical mistake? Wait 30 minutes and get a do over. Plus you get to watch and learn from a lot of other races where you can see everything play out in front of you.

A lot of the best sprinters have come out of track programs...Cavendish, Zabel, Renshaw...it's a big list. Very condensed learning curve.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:14 PM   #3870
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Go get it, AZT. We have a house in Ohio to invade.
Dibs on the Jungle Room.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:23 PM   #3871
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
June 16th http://ncnca.org/sites/default/files...204%20OKED.pdf

I did this race in 2010. The course is flat and easy. Four right hand turns with lots of room and good pavement. They had mentors for the Cat 5 men so they may have them for the Cat 4 women. You can email the race director.
Hermes, I'll do that. I have a commitment that afternoon, but I see the women go off in the morning. I might be able to fit it in.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:26 PM   #3872
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Sara, rather than jump in on a crit, I'd make a suggestion and do the Saturday morning session at Hellyer. You can rent a bike cheap for the training and racing. Once you've got that under your belt hit a few of the Wednesday night races which have a women's 3/4. I've found (for the most part) that the lack of brakes or coasting makes folks a little more circumspect about where they put their wheels and makes for an inherently smoother race (no brakes means no panic stops).

The biggest thing with track racing is that the races are short and you get three different things thrown at you an evening. Each race is different and requires you to think on the fly. It's flat so you're not going to have to deal with skinny climbers. Make a tactical mistake? Wait 30 minutes and get a do over. Plus you get to watch and learn from a lot of other races where you can see everything play out in front of you.

A lot of the best sprinters have come out of track programs...Cavendish, Zabel, Renshaw...it's a big list. Very condensed learning curve.
Ex, I have done that Saturday session at Hellyer (one). I even bought a track bike, thinking I'd take advantage of some of the races there, but things didn't work out as planned. I may take a second look at it, though.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:46 PM   #3873
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Here's the Watsonville crit course.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 02:13 PM   #3874
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post


Here's the Watsonville crit course.
Hmm... that's not what is described in the flyer. That one is certainly less technical.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 04:35 PM   #3875
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
Hmm... that's not what is described in the flyer. That one is certainly less technical.
It doesn't look bad, does it? It's right in the downtown...good roads! I'll go scout it out sometime soon.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.