Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 332 of 345 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342 ... LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 8613
  1. #8276
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,348
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Cleave;16801303]We will be trying hard to beat our PR on that course (0:51:13, 27 MPH). That will be a win.

    BTW, one of the teams has a former national champion named Racer Ex on it.

    Us, three (3) enthusiastic Cat 3s and one (1) very happy to be there Cat 5.

    Hermes, I should be there in time to say, "Hi," as we pass each other on the concourse. [
    /QUOTE]

    I did what I could and invited him out to dinner Friday night to try to get him full of rich food and raise his level of alcohol to soften him up for you guys on Saturday. He passed saying something about getting old and needing his beauty sleep.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  2. #8277
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,288
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back in Socal after a lovely drive. No less than 3 construction zones in what should have been the last hour of the drive. Very little actual work being done for the huge amount of cones, barricades and pilot cars.

  3. #8278
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interview of Eric and Travis, discussing the US RR finish. I thought Eric was trying to lead Travis out, but apparently they had talked, and decided Eric was the one who was still feeling good. Eric felt he had it from about 100m out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOFscppd0M
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  4. #8279
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,861
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
    I meant to ask you about that.. Is that deal available, or was it a private one time deal?
    was a deal i was able to get through a manufacturer, something for me that doesn't come along every day. i'd been debating the conversion for a little while, decided against it due to some technical problems, then figured out a solution while helping someone else...and the deal came along. i bit.

    i've tested all the 11s setups so will be looking to sell a bunch of 7970 parts (10s electronic) for road and TT.

  5. #8280
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Let me know when you're ready to unload the 10 speed stuff, might be interested.
    ...

  6. #8281
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7970 is the bomb, especially with a 7900 cassette. Mine goes when I upgrade to 6870 or somebody's used 9070. Teton helped me with my custom seat post battery.

  7. #8282
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shovelhd, I'm thinking positive thoughts.

  8. #8283
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder where rapwithtom disappeared to? He was scheduled for the City Park crit, but I didn't see him. rwt, you OK?

  9. #8284
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
    I wonder where rapwithtom disappeared to? He was scheduled for the City Park crit, but I didn't see him. rwt, you OK?
    Hey LAJ / All

    Belated race report:
    Sugarhouse Crit in Salt Lake May 24 - 40+4's/5's
    Rain. Nearly didn't start, but figured what the hell. Glad I did; rain was a complete non-factor.
    Most of the race was uneventful and stayed gruppo compatto. Attacked solo with about 2' from the finish line. Got a good gap. Caught with 200m to go. Finished almost DFL. Set 2' and 30" power PR's during the attempt. Bummed about finishing so poorly in what didn't seem to be a strong field. Psyched about driving the race and my power numbers. Bummed about attacking suicidally and impatiently. Psyched that I had fun in the rain.

    Continued on road trip to Idaho to visit mom. Continued training. Was a spectacle to thousands of cattle none of whom had ever seen a bicycle before. Set new 20' power PR. Generally felt Cancellara-ish.

    Drove back to Boulder. Worst road trip ever: a) got sick. b) transmission died, causing much road-trip mayhem and teeth-gnashing. Spent the next week in bed.

    State championship crit is tomorrow. Instead of coming into my "A" race in the best form of life, the culmination of maybe 200 hours of training since January, I'm still not feeling 100% and I've not been able to train for 2 weeks. Tomorrow's crit may well feel like a death march.

    This sport, which on random and unpredictable occasions can occasionally reward hard work with brief moments of feelings of accomplishment, can also be a completely unsympathetic biatch.

    See you tomorrow LAJ.

  10. #8285
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be patient tomorrow. Sit in for the first half unless a serious threat goes up the road. Early breaks rarely stick in championship events. That will give you time to get your legs going. Conserve, conserve, conserve.

    My biggest race of the year so far is tomorrow. Small field, mixed with 60+. Race predictor says I'll finish 6th. There are two guys I do not want to field sprint against, but there are two guys that won't want to field sprint at all. Let the games begin.

  11. #8286
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,244
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to the both of you tomorrow!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  12. #8287
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    Be patient tomorrow. Sit in for the first half unless a serious threat goes up the road. Early breaks rarely stick in championship events. That will give you time to get your legs going. Conserve, conserve, conserve.

    My biggest race of the year so far is tomorrow. Small field, mixed with 60+. Race predictor says I'll finish 6th. There are two guys I do not want to field sprint against, but there are two guys that won't want to field sprint at all. Let the games begin.
    Good luck shovel!

    Thanks for the advice. I've intentionally ridden most of the races this year not "smart" but rather to learn. LAJ and I first met a couple of years ago because I was often the annoying lazy sprinter who wouldn't stick his nose in the wind until the last 200m. I've done the opposite this year in order to learn stuff, work on weaknesses, become a more well rounded rider, and get good workouts. But tomorrow I will be racing less aggressively, whether by choice or not.

    Also, although the named goal for the season was to win a couple of early June crits, it's clearly not what's most important to me...what I mostly hope to get out of all of this is health and fitness and fun and friends...and, current illness aside, I've accomplished all of that this year.

  13. #8288
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it all goes your way tomorrow, shovelhd.

    Good to see, rwt. I'm sorry to hear of the many setbacks, but hope you come out strong tomorrow. Of course, we have a whack of guys coming out tomorrow, so you likely won't spend much time in the wind. Sit tight.

    55+ will be my fun, though it looks to be brutal, judging by the folks that are already signed up.

  14. #8289
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom View Post
    Good luck shovel!

    Thanks for the advice. I've intentionally ridden most of the races this year not "smart" but rather to learn. LAJ and I first met a couple of years ago because I was often the annoying lazy sprinter who wouldn't stick his nose in the wind until the last 200m. I've done the opposite this year in order to learn stuff, work on weaknesses, become a more well rounded rider, and get good workouts. But tomorrow I will be racing less aggressively, whether by choice or not.

    Also, although the named goal for the season was to win a couple of early June crits, it's clearly not what's most important to me...what I mostly hope to get out of all of this is health and fitness and fun and friends...and, current illness aside, I've accomplished all of that this year.
    Well said.

    Indeed. Since our paths first crossed, there have been valuable lessons learned on my part, the most important ones largely due to you, rwt. Really good stuff.

  15. #8290
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you doing LAJ? Home yet? Hope you are doing OK.
    ...

  16. #8291
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
    How are you doing LAJ? Home yet? Hope you are doing OK.
    +1
    I hope that the painkillers have treated you well and that you're now free of them.

  17. #8292
    Senior Member IBOHUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Posts
    2,232
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + 1 to both of those posts above.
    I'm torn about even wanting to read the race report threads any more. Hate to see folks get busted up in what isn't even something they can make a living at.

    Raising a glass to all of our wounded ones. Heal well and fast.

  18. #8293
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an unforgiving sport.

    Heal up everyone.

  19. #8294
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unforgiving in oh so many ways.

    I've been really struggling of late, due a combination of factors. I've been working towards a "direction defining" proof of concept presentation to the VP of our area, which finally happened yesterday. Lots of hours, lots of stress. The analytics architecture we presented was something like the fifth attempt to find something which would work within our resource constraints and provide the needed functionality. The VP is sold on the idea, so it's full speed ahead. Much work to do, but the doubts I had about whether I'd be able to actually get my job done are resolved. Whew...

    At the same time, I've been transitioning to a nutrition strategy that is really 'out there'. I'll be doing a way too long post on my nutritional journey. But the tl;dr is that I put myself in nutritional "no-man's land": stuck between the break and the pack. I haven't been responding to training, and just have no power. Plus, the 'selective' nature of the diet has created significant relationship stress. So my choices were to fall back to the pack (back off on my strategy), or kill myself to bridge up to the break (go deeper into my strategy). After discussions with Coach Ex, and email with one of the authors of the book I'm using as a guide, I chose to bridge up. I feel I'm now only 50 meters back from the break, and closing fast. Whether the strategy really works remains to seen, once I reach the break and see if we can hold the gap.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  20. #8295
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, good luck on both accounts.

  21. #8296
    Senior Member IBOHUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Posts
    2,232
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Unforgiving in oh so many ways.

    I've been really struggling of late, due a combination of factors. I've been working towards a "direction defining" proof of concept presentation to the VP of our area, which finally happened yesterday. Lots of hours, lots of stress. The analytics architecture we presented was something like the fifth attempt to find something which would work within our resource constraints and provide the needed functionality. The VP is sold on the idea, so it's full speed ahead. Much work to do, but the doubts I had about whether I'd be able to actually get my job done are resolved. Whew...

    At the same time, I've been transitioning to a nutrition strategy that is really 'out there'. I'll be doing a way too long post on my nutritional journey. But the tl;dr is that I put myself in nutritional "no-man's land": stuck between the break and the pack. I haven't been responding to training, and just have no power. Plus, the 'selective' nature of the diet has created significant relationship stress. So my choices were to fall back to the pack (back off on my strategy), or kill myself to bridge up to the break (go deeper into my strategy). After discussions with Coach Ex, and email with one of the authors of the book I'm using as a guide, I chose to bridge up. I feel I'm now only 50 meters back from the break, and closing fast. Whether the strategy really works remains to seen, once I reach the break and see if we can hold the gap.
    Great news on the work front and I look forward to reading the nutritional bit.

  22. #8297
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,348
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But will he be able to attack like Froome at 130+ rpm on climbs?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  23. #8298
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,887
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    But will he be able to attack like Froome at 130+ rpm on climbs?
    Without Osymetrics, no way.

  24. #8299
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 6'6" and 182#, my arms are looking a heck of lot like Froome's right now. Talk about elbows.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  25. #8300
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,348
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiggans was riding round rings in the Tour of Ca in the ITTs and climbs.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •