Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-12, 02:15 PM   #451
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,382
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 07:07 PM   #452
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,445
Interesting week. Did a bunch of rides with Mrs Ex including an hour on the fixed gear climbing some 6-11% grades then bombing back down. And she made it to the top of Glendora Mtn road without breathing hard. In between I was playing carpenter/electrician. CTL/ATL/TSB are all looking like "off season" but I'm still reasonably strong if the weekend in Vegas in any indication.

I gotta chalk a lot of that up to being abler to breathe again.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 07:45 PM   #453
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Had a terrific weekend of riding that included social rail trail rides, a gravel grinder ride with a few good climbs and even a couple hours of mountain biking today. I put the Power Tap wheel on my cross bike for the gravel ride and saw a 5' PP of 371 watts after the ride. I didn't kill myself on any of the climbs and the number surprised me. I'm looking forward to viewing the ride data on my computer.

State Masters Cyclocross Champs are next weekend and will be doing a mini taper for the race this week along with some cross specific work.
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 10:09 PM   #454
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills
 
nacler22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Les Bois
Bikes: More please
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Had a terrific weekend of riding that included social rail trail rides, a gravel grinder ride with a few good climbs and even a couple hours of mountain biking today. I put the Power Tap wheel on my cross bike for the gravel ride and saw a 5' PP of 371 watts after the ride. I didn't kill myself on any of the climbs and the number surprised me. I'm looking forward to viewing the ride data on my computer.

State Masters Cyclocross Champs are next weekend and will be doing a mini taper for the race this week along with some cross specific work.
Good Luck next weekend AJ.

Our State Cross Champs aren't until Dec.................... brrr!!!
nacler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 11:21 PM   #455
Red Rider
Don't mince words
 
Red Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 6,948
I don't know where else to post this and calling it training is generous. Six weeks since my last race has resulted in much fitness loss, and this was a humbling ride.

This ride is very pretty, with some great descents and challenging climbs. I'd like to do it monthly so I don't feel as beat up as I do now.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 07:52 AM   #456
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Looks like a great route, RR.

Go get 'em Jet.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 08:16 AM   #457
VanceMac
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Bikes:
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
I had a very enjoyable group ride yesterday with VanceMac... nice smooth ride that ended up at 70 miles. He got to do the popular "Rio Verde Loop", with an extension up to "The towers".

Today I did Tour de Scottsdale, a 70 mile "Citizen's Race". These events are, IMO, the most dangerous thing you can do on a bicycle.

I finished 6th in my age group, at 2:57.
The shop ride was fantastic. I would love that route (and group) for my weekly fast trainer. The climbing keeps you honest, but they are power climbs: shallow grade, so draft still helps a bit, keeping the group together. And the scenery is desert goodness.

Killer time on TdS, especially with the last couple weeks you put in. That Saturday ride was not exactly tapering! And agree, just about most dangerous type of event there is. At least you were ahead of the fray.

Thanks for setting up the shop tour. That place is phenomenal. 3D bike fitting, metabolic testing, full-featured wind tunnel. When I first heard they had a wind tunnel, I envisioned a low-tech makeshift setup. That couldn't be further from the truth. Now add on a boutique bike shop dripping with cutting edge bikes, components, and gear... and you can see why I didn't want to leave.
VanceMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 08:48 AM   #458
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,657
Good luck A'Jet at CX state.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 08:51 AM   #459
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,657
VanceMac, I cannot take MEA to that bike shop. I would need a small initial public offering to finance the outcome. It sounds great and I hope the business model works for them.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 08:53 AM   #460
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,657
AZT, Congrats on the racing.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 09:16 AM   #461
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Good luck A'Jet at CX state.
+1, even though CX is kooky.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 10:42 AM   #462
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
AZT, Congrats on the racing.
x 2!!!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 10:50 AM   #463
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Core workout week. Ex is trying to kill me. Box jumps really hurt and are really hard to do. I can't jump like I could when I was a child, and yes, that was a surprise! Both of my hip joints are very sore from that fracas. Equally hard are the Tabatas. Yikes. I don't get the heart rate up nor do I sweat like I do on the bike, the trainer, or a treadmill, but by golly, I am sore and stiff not long after I stop that torture. More so than after a 50 mile ride!

Tomorrow is "core" and "strength". My hips can recover! Yay. It's the little things!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 11:57 AM   #464
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
Core workout week. Ex is trying to kill me. Box jumps really hurt and are really hard to do.

Tomorrow is "core" and "strength". My hips can recover! Yay. It's the little things!
Check your inbox.

Globally, strength work is supposed to hurt muscularly. If it's resulting in joint pain then we need change things up and not keep going down that path.

What I find is that starting a new exercise or returning to one you haven't done in a while, that the soreness level, especially the next day, is going to be fairly high. This should diminish down to a dull roar after your body stop going "why are you using this muscle group now when you've let it sit dormant for so long?"

It's like making a kid who's been sitting around eating Cheetos go run around the block. You're going to hear about how you're killing him.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 11:58 AM   #465
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
Tomorrow is "core" and "strength". My hips can recover! Yay. It's the little things!
LOL. Your hips might recover, but the soreness will just shift over to your legs. It was my back that complained about the core exercises. Not in an "injured" way - just an unused way. If you made it through the box jumps, though, you can get through everything else, and strength does make a big difference.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 12:15 PM   #466
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Check your inbox.

Globally, strength work is supposed to hurt muscularly. If it's resulting in joint pain then we need change things up and not keep going down that path.

What I find is that starting a new exercise or returning to one you haven't done in a while, that the soreness level, especially the next day, is going to be fairly high. This should diminish down to a dull roar after your body stop going "why are you using this muscle group now when you've let it sit dormant for so long?"

It's like making a kid who's been sitting around eating Cheetos go run around the block. You're going to hear about how you're killing him.
Let me do the next iteration later in the week and see how it goes before we change it. The hip pain may or may not be joints, it just might be the IT band anchor or something up there. My left hurts more than my right, which is not unusual, because that side still gets aggravated from that crash I had last year. Really, it hurts less than after a run, even though the impact forces seems to be higher.

I had "preview" of the exercises you direct last week in strength class. The instructor must know you - she has us doing EXACTLY the same exercises you lay out in STR and CR. I DID hurt quite a lot the next day, too!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 12:26 PM   #467
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
LOL. Your hips might recover, but the soreness will just shift over to your legs. It was my back that complained about the core exercises. Not in an "injured" way - just an unused way. If you made it through the box jumps, though, you can get through everything else, and strength does make a big difference.
AzT, I really need to do the box jumps some more. I'm challenged by the Box/March - I just can't get them! Anytime that happens, I am compelled to keep trying. I'm stubborn that way!

My back I do have to be careful of. It will go out on me about twice a year whether I want it to or not!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 12:39 PM   #468
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
AzT, I really need to do the box jumps some more. I'm challenged by the Box/March - I just can't get them!
Me too, but I got lucky last time. I was rotating through my exercises, and someone took the platforms and spot I was using for the jumps. I decided it was fate, and moved on... I was already pretty much toast.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 12:42 PM   #469
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,382
Riding the commuter bike exclusively while the Felt is at the factory has brought out a bunch of soreness that I didn't have when racing. It takes a lot of watts to push that bike around, the fit is very different, and I have been riding with less rest. Beats laying around getting fat, though.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 01:16 PM   #470
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
I too dislike box jumps. Last winter I did a super set that included 15 x 16" box jumps, to 30 upside down bocu ball squats with alternating arm positions, to 10 x squats while standing on two 10 lb medicine balls, to squats to failure while balancing on a 55 cm stability ball.

It's good to know I won't be the only one on the site training for the circus.
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 01:29 PM   #471
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
I too dislike box jumps. Last winter I did a super set that included 15 x 16" box jumps, to 30 upside down bocu ball squats with alternating arm positions, to 10 x squats while standing on two 10 lb medicine balls, to squats to failure while balancing on a 55 cm stability ball.

It's good to know I won't be the only one on the site training for the circus.
Damn elephants stand on bocu's better than I can! Circus, indeed, AJ!

I have a hard time with an upside down bocu. One of the strength/sculpt class instructors I see at my gym loves having us turn the bocu over and use it for our arms while we do pushups. What?? OMG, balance and do pushups? That's just wrong!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 01:31 PM   #472
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
Me too, but I got lucky last time. I was rotating through my exercises, and someone took the platforms and spot I was using for the jumps. I decided it was fate, and moved on... I was already pretty much toast.
This morning I when I was doing my exercises, a gal came into the room I was in and spread out her yoga mat. I started the box jumps about then. When I stopped to recover I looked over to say hello and she was gone. I guess box jumps and yoga are NOT compatible!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 06:59 PM   #473
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post

I have a hard time with an upside down bocu. One of the strength/sculpt class instructors I see at my gym loves having us turn the bocu over and use it for our arms while we do pushups. What?? OMG, balance and do pushups? That's just wrong!
I'm sure you saw this before. First you do two balls, then two balls under the hands and both feet on one. Finally you graduate to four balls.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/c5aa55ee.mp4
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 07:31 PM   #474
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
I'm sure you saw this before. First you do two balls, then two balls under the hands and both feet on one. Finally you graduate to four balls.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/c5aa55ee.mp4
Show off!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 12:28 AM   #475
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
I'm sure you saw this before. First you do two balls, then two balls under the hands and both feet on one. Finally you graduate to four balls.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/c5aa55ee.mp4
I have seen this video before and seeing it again provoked a couple of observations. It sounds like the woman shooting the video is bored and the dog walked out of the shoot at the start. In your glory years, did this type of stuff impress the chicks? Because if it did, I can do at least a couple of those and maybe impress MEA
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.