Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-14, 08:30 AM   #5326
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
5 miles ru**i*g yesterday.
Seems every day it's afternoon storms which prevents getting on the bike.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 12:34 PM   #5327
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,407
Work is killing me this week.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:08 PM   #5328
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
Work is killing me this week.
Lap 2 on the TT intervals looked good
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:14 PM   #5329
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
5.3 mi ru**i*g; rTSS 79
1:40 on the bike; IF 0.88 TSS 127

Knackered.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 09:50 PM   #5330
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,448
Real estate offer intervals.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 09:35 AM   #5331
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
I saw my orthopedist this morning. The groin injury is under control so there was no need to go any further with an MRI or anything like that. It continues to improve but I still have pain with hard efforts and walking on uneven surfaces. My mechanics have degraded. I'm not as smooth as I used to be at cadences below 100. I will be working on that.

The xrays of my finger showed a chunk of bone missing from the finger joint. Where it went, who knows. Most likely my head with the rest of the bones. I can wiggle the tip so the tendon is intact. He splinted my finger on the top side and set it in a bent position. I will keep this on for another three weeks. I'll ride with it like this today and test braking in the drops. If everything checks out I'll do a training race on Wednesday. If I can't exert significant braking pressure then I stand down again until it heals.

Vacation was wonderful, except for the realizing that your race fitness is toast part.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 11:10 PM   #5332
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I saw my orthopedist this morning. The groin injury is under control so there was no need to go any further with an MRI or anything like that. It continues to improve but I still have pain with hard efforts and walking on uneven surfaces. My mechanics have degraded. I'm not as smooth as I used to be at cadences below 100. I will be working on that.

The xrays of my finger showed a chunk of bone missing from the finger joint. Where it went, who knows. Most likely my head with the rest of the bones. I can wiggle the tip so the tendon is intact. He splinted my finger on the top side and set it in a bent position. I will keep this on for another three weeks. I'll ride with it like this today and test braking in the drops. If everything checks out I'll do a training race on Wednesday. If I can't exert significant braking pressure then I stand down again until it heals.

Vacation was wonderful, except for the realizing that your race fitness is toast part.
glad to hear about the groin. (there's a joke in there, somewhere.) bummer on the finger.

one thing i've been observing with the recovery from the broken femur is my pedaling mechanics. the TT position and riding deep in the drops have exposed some issues. also, some low cadence (60rpms) with high torque work revealed to me that one leg is starting and ending the pedal stroke late. that robs me of some power.

on a positive note....i return to stage racing this week. i normally have a good idea of what to expect from myself, at least in something like an ITT, but this one will be interesting and more unknown.
tetonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 02:59 AM   #5333
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I saw my orthopedist this morning. The groin injury is under control so there was no need to go any further with an MRI or anything like that. It continues to improve but I still have pain with hard efforts and walking on uneven surfaces. My mechanics have degraded. I'm not as smooth as I used to be at cadences below 100. I will be working on that.

The xrays of my finger showed a chunk of bone missing from the finger joint. Where it went, who knows. Most likely my head with the rest of the bones. I can wiggle the tip so the tendon is intact. He splinted my finger on the top side and set it in a bent position. I will keep this on for another three weeks. I'll ride with it like this today and test braking in the drops. If everything checks out I'll do a training race on Wednesday. If I can't exert significant braking pressure then I stand down again until it heals.

Vacation was wonderful, except for the realizing that your race fitness is toast part.
All things considered good news.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 05:01 AM   #5334
revchuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Posts: 5,565
Good week overall.

Since I'm back to working full time, my weekday workouts have been 1:15 - 1:30 in length. She's been giving me a lot of "upper end of endurance range" for an hour within that time frame. In Carmichael's zones, endurance range encompasses both Z2 and Z3 of Friel's, so I've been doing an hour at the top end of Z3. That has meant >200 watts, a psychological barrier for me. I think she was trying to pound into my head that yes, you CAN do this. And I can, and it doesn't hurt.

Thursday's workout was 6x6' intervals at 105-110% of FTP, each starting with an eight second stomp. I decided to try these using what I thought my new FTP would be. I did the first two at the top end of the new range, got through about half of the third one and figured out I needed to back off a bit, and finished them at the range for the old FTP. That hurt. Looking forward to the next time on those, though.

Yesterday was supposed to be 4.5 hours at endurance pace, ended up at 4:21; close enough. It was a good ride. According to the Garmin, it was 72 at the beginning and 102 at the end. The good thing for me was that at the end of the ride, adding power rather than downshifting uphill was no problem. TSS was 248, the highest since I started back. I went through seven bottles on that ride...my legs were ready for more, but the rest of me was tired of sweating!

My coach officially moved my FTP to 253, a 10% increase since my last test. Of course my ranges were bumped up the same amount - going to start finding out what Greg Lemond was talking about when he said, "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster."
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 04:05 PM   #5335
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
Good week overall.

Since I'm back to working full time, my weekday workouts have been 1:15 - 1:30 in length. She's been giving me a lot of "upper end of endurance range" for an hour within that time frame. In Carmichael's zones, endurance range encompasses both Z2 and Z3 of Friel's, so I've been doing an hour at the top end of Z3. That has meant >200 watts, a psychological barrier for me. I think she was trying to pound into my head that yes, you CAN do this. And I can, and it doesn't hurt.

Thursday's workout was 6x6' intervals at 105-110% of FTP, each starting with an eight second stomp. I decided to try these using what I thought my new FTP would be. I did the first two at the top end of the new range, got through about half of the third one and figured out I needed to back off a bit, and finished them at the range for the old FTP. That hurt. Looking forward to the next time on those, though.

Yesterday was supposed to be 4.5 hours at endurance pace, ended up at 4:21; close enough. It was a good ride. According to the Garmin, it was 72 at the beginning and 102 at the end. The good thing for me was that at the end of the ride, adding power rather than downshifting uphill was no problem. TSS was 248, the highest since I started back. I went through seven bottles on that ride...my legs were ready for more, but the rest of me was tired of sweating!

My coach officially moved my FTP to 253, a 10% increase since my last test. Of course my ranges were bumped up the same amount - going to start finding out what Greg Lemond was talking about when he said, "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster."


Things are looking up.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 04:08 PM   #5336
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
4 miles ru**i*g
1 lap (5 mi 725' gain) of a 4 lap night before a monsoon broke out. 2 1/2 miles of pounding rain hurts. IF 0.92 TSS 28
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:11 PM   #5337
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Registered for Masters Nats to be held in Redmond WA. I'm doing Sprint, 500 TT, Pursuit and Scratch Race. My wife and I are driving out to the race. After the races we will meet my sister and her husband for a few days of local touristing then the 4 of us will take a 7 day Alaska cruise.

This certainly demonstrates my wife's negotiating skills.
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:20 AM   #5338
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Registered for Masters Nats to be held in Redmond WA. I'm doing Sprint, 500 TT, Pursuit and Scratch Race. My wife and I are driving out to the race. After the races we will meet my sister and her husband for a few days of local touristing then the 4 of us will take a 7 day Alaska cruise.

This certainly demonstrates my wife's negotiating skills.
Need help with the bags? A week in Alaska sounds great however(!) don't think you could use a tip-up at this time of year...
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:27 AM   #5339
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
6.5 miles ru**i*g; rTSS 88
1hr 53 at an avg of high tempo. AP= NP = 259. IF 0.89 TSS 142

GC broke it down as:
Tempo - 40%
Threshold = 29%
VO2max and above - 12%
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:49 PM   #5340
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,448
I rode today.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 07:28 PM   #5341
revchuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Posts: 5,565
'Bout damn time.
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 09:19 PM   #5342
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,407
IBO, Chuck - good reads! I'm feeling good for you guys!

Ex, what Chuck said.

AJ, never underestimate a female.

Shovel...I'm thinking good thoughts for you!
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 09:29 PM   #5343
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,407
Andy Talansky really put on a show of heart today. I could use a page from his book. All season long two things have dogged me - focus and discipline. I have heart, but I need the other two. I let things really slide this past weekend, and broke a few cardinal rules. I know it, I was talked to about it, I hope I listened.

A long ride was in the offing today. This followed a day off yesterday, which followed strength training on Monday. I was not happy with my behavior at the race on Sunday, so I let go my frustrations in the strength training on Monday. I did the required reps, but I did them with extra vigor. The soreness and pinched nerves from swollen muscles in my back and shoulders bothered me today on the ride. I stayed off the power for a good part of it, so much so that my training partner became concerned. We talked it over, and she ended up pounding some sense into me, too. On the way home from the ride, my Look had a mechanical - I couldn't get it off of the small ring. I finally did, and by then I was running late for an appointment. So, I felt the need to get going and I buried myself. It was one of the strongest segments I've ever done on the stretch of road I was on. Things continued to loosen as I moved along, and it felt almost like I was shedding a coating of concrete from my legs and body. I was truly flying. When I finally got home I had to wonder why I couldn't put on such a performance in a race. Maybe I have, but it felt different.

I wear my moniker well....
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 06:38 AM   #5344
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Hang in there Sara. We all have those experiences and push through just as you do. I'm on recovery week and I had to do two or three 5' intervals on the track pursuit bike last night at 110% of FTP at 100 rpm. I rode the fixed gear track bike with no brakes from home out onto the country flatlands as my WU. It was slightly breezy and my TT road has a few bends and ever so slight hills. The first interval went OK power wise but the cadence was all over due to the wind. The second interval was in the return direction with the slight tail wind and a DH false flat. I kept dropping power into the 270's even with a 115+ cadence and bagged the interval with 40" to go. I mentally kicked my own ass on the 30' WD going back home. I shoulda' gone to the velodrome and done the work. Regardless of conditions there I would never stop an interval with 40" even if no one else knew what I was doing.

I'm already over it and am looking ahead for the next day.
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 11:10 AM   #5345
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,407
AJ, did I tell you it's good to have you back? Missed you!!!

2 twenty minute practice TT's were on the schedule today. The goal was smoothness over speed. Also, I was to stay within the allotted time for the overall exercise. I got a decent warmup on the bike, and then hit the TT course. I went out a little hard on the first one, but backed it down a touch and settled in. I was still having issues with my arms and hands going to sleep (it's the result of the strength training on Monday), but I zoned my way through that. The second interval felt slower, but smoother, and I was actually a little faster. I tried really hard to to keep the power consistent, and that's no so easy on an undulating road. My hands and arms still got to tingling, but my right leg - where I had been having those issues - never did. Oh, the pain cave is not only deep, but it's wide! TSS was 101.
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 01:43 PM   #5346
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
AJ, did I tell you it's good to have you back? Missed you!!!
Thanks!!! I took a little break but would still check in to see everyone's progress and success ( which has been great). However, reading about so many crashes and hardships kind of took it's toll and I guess that staying away was my way of dealing with the carnage and not think about "what if". My training is focused this year has been on track and not crits or RR's and I didn't have much to talk about since races are limited. Hermes did contact me as a welfare check. He is a great guy!
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 06:39 PM   #5347
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,448
Did not ride today. Worked on cleaning up vehicles and a travel trailer to sell.

Forgot to mention on yesterdays ride I got hit in the crook of the arm by a bee or wasp or something that stung. Nice half golf ball swelling today.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 06:46 PM   #5348
revchuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Posts: 5,565
Did my first "hard" workout with the new FTP, 1:50 at endurance pace with 3x12' O/U. No problem at all, it almost felt too easy. I'm mystified as to how this happened seemingly all at once. Not that I'm complaining. Just wondering if the barrier I've passed was physical or psychological, or if maybe that six weeks off the bike was that helpful. I need to find out how to keep this up without breaking bones!
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 06:48 AM   #5349
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
Get well Ex.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 07:37 AM   #5350
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
sarals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Did not ride today. Worked on cleaning up vehicles and a travel trailer to sell.

Forgot to mention on yesterdays ride I got hit in the crook of the arm by a bee or wasp or something that stung. Nice half golf ball swelling today.

That will take it out of you. How are you feeling today?
__________________
Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."
sarals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 PM.