Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2829
  1. #1226
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of crit miles. Whew.

  2. #1227
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleave, you are a beast!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  3. #1228
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Location, location.
    Posts
    11,432
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Race report here.

  4. #1229
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    12,382
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough day. Unfortunately I know just what that's like. Scary.

  5. #1230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    4,087
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ex - Bummer. I don't know what that's like, but it's still a bummer.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  6. #1231
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it didn't go well, Ex. But hey, at least for you that's rare!

  7. #1232
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ex, I'm sorry to hear of the sucky weekend. As AzT said, for you it's rare. Maybe you were due. Not that that would make you feel any better. Maybe the fact that you are really hurting ME right now will give you a reason to smile!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  8. #1233
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,131
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    @Creakyknees, pretty cool reports with good results.
    Thanks man!



    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    Masters 55+/60+
    Masters 50+
    Masters 45+
    Ended up with 54 miles of 4-corner criterium racing.
    OOOOOF! That is some hard man stuff right there. Chapeau.
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  9. #1234
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,186
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Embarrassingly low turnout for Elite State Track Championships. Stuff like... only two teams entered for Team Sprint, only three women contesting the Points Race, four people in the Keirin tournament, etc. I was going to pass on this event, since I was a bit sick earlier this week, but with the lack of participation, I felt obliged to donate an entry fee.

    I ran the Points and Scratch races, which had a little better traction -- I think 12 and 16 respectively. Moral victories (my speciality), as I finished with the field in the Points Race (several were lapped/dropped) and 8th in the Scratch.

  10. #1235
    Old Road Racer Cleave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Posts
    4,997
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @VanceMac, sorry to hear about the low turnout. I think the SoCal racing season is kind of FUBAR these days. Early January races have fields that sometimes hit the field limit and hardly anyone shows up for July races.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

  11. #1236
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Location, location.
    Posts
    11,432
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    @VanceMac, sorry to hear about the low turnout. I think the SoCal racing season is kind of FUBAR these days. Early January races have fields that sometimes hit the field limit and hardly anyone shows up for July races.
    I retrospect I should have gone.

  12. #1237
    Old Road Racer Cleave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Posts
    4,997
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Tuesday Night Masters 35+ race. Left work on the late side and hustled up to the race to get there just in time. Went with one early move that got caught. Decided to sit in until the first prime. Another attack went with the "big" teams represented -- six guys gone. Tried chasing a couple of times but no dice. The other teams blocked effectively. Led out the field sprint for our sprinter and he won handily (moral victory and some series points).
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

  13. #1238
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleave, I take it you warm up in the car on the way to the race?

    Great results!!!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  14. #1239
    Old Road Racer Cleave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Posts
    4,997
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sarals, the Tuesday night races are on the same course as the Pasadena Senior Games in El Dorado Park. I ride about 6 miles to the race and then ride home. I ride a bit faster to the race when I'm running late.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

  15. #1240
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes for a solid warmup! I'd love to race that course again - I will, next year, but I'd love to race it sooner than then.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  16. #1241
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job, Cleave.

    I skipped the crit last night, because I have my first real cold in 4 years. The plane trip, lack of training during the trip, and exposure somewhere along the line did me in.

  17. #1242
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,186
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun omnium at Encino last night. Saturday night I'm going to head down to San Diego and get my "Race 3 velodromes in one week" merit badge.

    Photo: @_superdomestik instagram

  18. #1243
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun race tonight. Cat4 crit, about 30 in the field. I'm the only Cat 4 on our little team (we have only three adult racers, our principal interest is the kids) so I never get to race as part of a team. Until tonight. One of our U16 boys is getting bored with just doing the kids races, so we got him a dispensation to ride with the grown-ups to keep him interested. And we have a 14 year-old girl who is much stronger than her peer group in our district, so isn't getting as much competition at the standard she needs for regional and national events. So with some hesitation we got her a dispensation too. Not much hesitation, really - both these kids are better bike-handlers than most of those in the Cat4 fields - but you just know that if there is an incident the kids are likely to get blamed even if it wasn't their fault.

    Anyway, there wasn't an incident. And I find myself working as a team with a couple of kids who are literally young enough to be my grandchildren. Very cool, with me covering most of the breaks, the girl following my wheel for a lot of the race, and one delicious moment when I hadn't quite managed to bridge up to the break: the 16 year-old comes past me smoothly and motions for me to get on his wheel so he can tow me back on!

    Nothing extraordinary about the result as far as I am concerned, I didn't contest the sprint and rolled in at the back of the bunch. But the boy placed fifth and the girl rolled in mid-pack. So I am now officially slower than a 14year-old girl. Really a lot of laughs.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  19. #1244
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chas, I love what you're doing with those kids! You deserve a lot of credit for that. Virtual hug coming your way!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  20. #1245
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    Chas, I love what you're doing with those kids! You deserve a lot of credit for that. Virtual hug coming your way!
    Sara, one doesn't really deserve much credit for having fun, it's turning out to be a source of great pleasure.

    Incidentally, these kids are scary fast. I know we don't do average speeds around here, but that 14 year-old girl has just finished a race at more than 25 mph on junior gears. Magic.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  21. #1246
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Sara, one doesn't really deserve much credit for having fun, it's turning out to be a source of great pleasure.

    Incidentally, these kids are scary fast. I know we don't do average speeds around here, but that 14 year-old girl has just finished a race at more than 25 mph on junior gears. Magic.

    OMG, to be 14 and racing. I'm sure she hasn't realized her strength, yet.

    I'm thrilled for you - keep smiling and keep having fun! It's contagious, you know - those kids have a great mentor.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  22. #1247
    Old Road Racer Cleave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Posts
    4,997
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Fun race tonight. Cat4 crit, about 30 in the field. I'm the only Cat 4 on our little team (we have only three adult racers, our principal interest is the kids) so I never get to race as part of a team. Until tonight. One of our U16 boys is getting bored with just doing the kids races, so we got him a dispensation to ride with the grown-ups to keep him interested. And we have a 14 year-old girl who is much stronger than her peer group in our district, so isn't getting as much competition at the standard she needs for regional and national events. So with some hesitation we got her a dispensation too. Not much hesitation, really - both these kids are better bike-handlers than most of those in the Cat4 fields - but you just know that if there is an incident the kids are likely to get blamed even if it wasn't their fault.

    Anyway, there wasn't an incident. And I find myself working as a team with a couple of kids who are literally young enough to be my grandchildren. Very cool, with me covering most of the breaks, the girl following my wheel for a lot of the race, and one delicious moment when I hadn't quite managed to bridge up to the break: the 16 year-old comes past me smoothly and motions for me to get on his wheel so he can tow me back on!

    Nothing extraordinary about the result as far as I am concerned, I didn't contest the sprint and rolled in at the back of the bunch. But the boy placed fifth and the girl rolled in mid-pack. So I am now officially slower than a 14year-old girl. Really a lot of laughs.
    I've been officially slower than a 14 year-old girl for a number of years. My former teammate is still the national record holder for the 500m TT. Her record is about 4 seconds faster than my PR. Today she won 2 out of 3 events in the International Omnium at the Junior National Track Championships. She has 3 more events tomorrow to finish the Omnium.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

  23. #1248
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm slower than ANY 14 year old girl.

    Tomorrow I get to race with 45+ ladies. I'm excited!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  24. #1249
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    I'm slower than ANY 14 year old girl.

    Tomorrow I get to race with 45+ ladies. I'm excited!
    Good luck, Sara. Believe you can win.

    (that's an instruction, not an expression of faith...)
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  25. #1250
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    not to take away his thunder, but I'm pretty excited Shovelhd won.

Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •