Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Masters Racing (All Disciplines) (http://www.bikeforums.net/masters-racing-all-disciplines/)
-   -   Ex rated race reports (http://www.bikeforums.net/masters-racing-all-disciplines/834199-ex-rated-race-reports.html)

chasm54 08-20-12 10:50 AM

Are there any on-line bookmakers taking bets on the Nats, Ex? I might have a few of our English pounds on you...

Hermes 08-20-12 01:32 PM

Great effort and teamwork.

Racer Ex 08-20-12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 14628817)
Are there any on-line bookmakers taking bets on the Nats, Ex? I might have a few of our English pounds on you...

If the race predictor is an indicator on the line, you could make a nice return.

Racer Ex 08-27-12 10:42 AM

Repost from the 33:

I had great legs Friday. Sadly, the race was Saturday. That said I stayed on the attack for the whole race to help soften up the field and this helped put my other three teammates into the winning break. Much racing ensued and we took the "W". Funny conversation afterwards, this is the first race I've done with my teammate who won. He rolled up to another teammate during the race when he didn't see me in the field to ask what had happened....

"Nothing happened. He's been up the road the whole time. That's where he usually is."

I'm putting the legs down to a really hard week without much recovery and some dismal air quality. Or I'm just getting old and slow.

shovelhd 08-27-12 10:45 AM

Old, yes. Slow, no.

Great teamwork. Well done.

chasm54 08-27-12 10:48 AM

Who are you two calling old? Some of us could give you a few years, Ex, and we're not old.

Slow is another matter, of course.

Sounds like reasonable preparation for next week, anyway.

AzTallRider 08-27-12 10:55 AM

I know the W for the team is always your goal, so congratulations on the Caddy. I'm sure that was a tough race to win: Cal Cup; big field; big guns. Way to go.

sarals 08-27-12 12:55 PM

Big guns? Doesn't that include you, Ex? In my book it does! WTG!!!!

Cleave 08-27-12 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 14658350)
Repost from the 33:

I had great legs Friday. Sadly, the race was Saturday. That said I stayed on the attack for the whole race to help soften up the field and this helped put my other three teammates into the winning break. Much racing ensued and we took the "W". Funny conversation afterwards, this is the first race I've done with my teammate who won. He rolled up to another teammate during the race when he didn't see me in the field to ask what had happened....

"Nothing happened. He's been up the road the whole time. That's where he usually is."

I'm putting the legs down to a really hard week without much recovery and some dismal air quality. Or I'm just getting old and slow.

It doesn't take too many races with you to learn your modus operandi. ;) Great job! Which kit are you wearing for natz? I hope to be in Bend by early Monday afternoon. I want to check out the TT course on Monday evening.

Racer Ex 08-27-12 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleave (Post 14660322)
It doesn't take too many races with you to learn your modus operandi. ;) Great job! Which kit are you wearing for natz? I hope to be in Bend by early Monday afternoon. I want to check out the TT course on Monday evening.

I'm not wearing these Squadra bibs for anything other than (maybe) the crit, that's for certain. Burlap diaper that's too small.

shovelhd 09-05-12 03:47 PM

Dude, you are the man. The friggin' man.

VanceMac 09-06-12 06:47 PM

I just saw a podium photo on FB with a pretty familiar face...

Allegheny Jet 09-06-12 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanceMac (Post 14700162)
I just saw a podium photo on FB with a pretty familiar face...

Looking forwards to a race report.

Cleave 09-06-12 10:32 PM

I knew Racer Ex had a great ride coming. Before the race, he was hopping curbs on his road bike like a 10 year-old with a new bike. :D

Racer Ex 09-08-12 11:22 AM

Reports to follow after today's crit. Good luck to all.

Racer Ex 09-12-12 07:28 PM

OK, I lied. Still haven't had a chance to work on the race report.

But I will.

Honest.

shovelhd 09-12-12 09:31 PM

Ex, you had a much better weekend than I did, but damn. No matter how you did, Nats is an indescribable experience. One of the very best times of my life. So take your time.

Racer Ex 09-18-12 07:18 PM

I finally got around to writing up my Nat report, which I posted here.

I kept it to the race stuff, left out a few team issues, and didn't note what a great time I had hanging out with Cleave and Shovel, or how much the encouragement from you all meant to me. From the outside looking in it would be hard to say this year was anything other than a success, but it seemed like I was constantly climbing a mountain in a blizzard. Occasionally the skies would open. Then I'd find myself in a wind whipped tent with frostbite. Hard sport, and I've been at it for a while. Nice to have folks who get that.

shovelhd 09-18-12 08:10 PM

It was a pleasure meeting you and your team in Bend over dinner. I had hoped that you would have been part of another jersey, but it wasn't meant to be, not on that course with that field. It was a pleasure working with you leading up to it. You did well in all of your races.

BTW my friend from CT who crashed in your crit was taken out by a numbnut responding to an attack...you guessed it...on the front straight. He broke his collarbone, six ribs, and punctured his lung. He just left the hospital to fly back home.

Allegheny Jet 09-18-12 08:18 PM

Congrats on the win Racer Ex! Good going with the new inhaler. Do you need a doctors letter for it?

nacler22 09-18-12 08:33 PM

Racer Ex,

First off, well done. I appreciate how you kill yourself for the glory of others, not many people understand that kind of satisfaction.

I also like your acknowledgement on the hardness of this sport. It's not the pain of the race, as much as the suffering it takes to embrace/enjoy said pain.

Good hunting in '13

sarals 09-18-12 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 14695556)
Dude, you are the man. The friggin' man.

That pretty much says it all, Ex! I'm proud of you!!!! REALLY proud of you!

Racer Ex 09-18-12 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 14748161)
Congrats on the win Racer Ex! Good going with the new inhaler. Do you need a doctors letter for it?

Nope. As an inhaler I just need to stay below the threshold of "Ale-Jet"

The Italian one. Not you.

After reading Hamilton's book I look at all those positives with a jaundiced eye. I mean I did before, but that book really made me shake my head.

Racer Ex 09-18-12 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 14748143)
BTW my friend from CT who crashed in your crit was taken out by a numbnut responding to an attack...you guessed it...on the front straight. He broke his collarbone, six ribs, and punctured his lung. He just left the hospital to fly back home.

I heard about him and wondered if that was part of when the guy ran into me. At the time we were pretty strung out in a straight line but I had no idea what was going on behind me. It was a big WTF(?) moment.

Hope he heals up well.

Hermes 09-18-12 11:36 PM

Congrats on the win at Nationals and solving your breathing problem. MEA and I have a tandem and have done two 40k time trials on it at Sattley. One year she raced the 20K ITT at 8:20Am and then did the 40K Tandem with me at 10:30AM. The tandem is tougher than one thinks.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 PM.