Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Masters Racing (All Disciplines) (http://www.bikeforums.net/masters-racing-all-disciplines/)
-   -   World Champ Almost in My Neighborhood (http://www.bikeforums.net/masters-racing-all-disciplines/878849-world-champ-almost-my-neighborhood.html)

billydonn 03-19-13 09:28 PM

World Champ Almost in My Neighborhood
 
(Sorry, a bit of a double post from the non-racer forum, but there might be more interest here among the performance oriented.)

Looking over my Strava output for today I noticed a familiar name just ahead of me on one of my favorite segments . It is Mark Savery, world cyclocross champion in the masters 40-44 age group. I decided to click on his link and check him out and wow, he often rides almost right by my house! Judging from his route maps, I've probably seen him on the streets riding many times.

Some of his rides are not even epic and they give me ideas about road rides in town I would never have thought of. And some of them are pretty epic, at least from my perspective.

He has had 200 mile weeks three of the last four while I've been training indoors and whining about the weather. HTFU Billydonn??? :)

Here's his Strava link... FWIW I thought some of you might find his rides interesting.

chasm54 03-20-13 01:51 AM

The guy who is currently chairman of the club I belong to is a multiple world masters champion on the track, 55-59. He's recently moved up an age category so should have a good chance of repeating the feat this year. IIRC the races will be in Manchester this time so I'll be able to go and watch. Last time around he had to go to Australia.

Racer Ex 03-20-13 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15408989)
The guy who is currently chairman of the club I belong to is a multiple world masters champion on the track, 55-59. He's recently moved up an age category so should have a good chance of repeating the feat this year. IIRC the races will be in Manchester this time so I'll be able to go and watch. Last time around he had to go to Australia.

See you there.

chasm54 03-20-13 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 15410044)
See you there.

Really? Great. I'll probably come over for most of the week, so there should be ample opportunity for me to buy you a beer.

AzTallRider 03-20-13 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15410123)
Really? Great. I'll probably come over for most of the week, so there should be ample opportunity for me to buy you a warm beer.

fify

chasm54 03-20-13 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15410123)
Really? Great. I'll probably come over for most of the week, so there should be ample opportunity for me to buy you a beer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTallRider (Post 15410334)
fify

Ah, you Americans. Real beer isn't warm, it is "cellar cool" - that is, cool but not refrigerated. The only reason mass-market American beer has to be served ice-cold is to numb your tastebuds, so you won't notice that it tastes like sh*te. Sadly, the same is true of much of the lager on sale here.

Manchester is, however, a fine city for good beer, I shall be happy to introduce any visitors to its infinite variety.

AzTallRider 03-20-13 11:40 AM

Just read an article about how craft beers are (finally) starting to eat into the mass-market brewer dominated market. My sister and her husband started a craft brewery in El Salvador, of all places. But he can't stand the traffic and the political corruption, so they are selling it and returning to the US.

And hey, if you lived where it got 115*F, you'd want your beer cold too! You Brit's can't drink it very cold, because you are already fighting frostbite.

But I must say, trying to keep up with a Brit's beer drinking is a good way to end up throwing up in a hotel staircase: been there, done that. One hasn't lived until one has been a tour virgin on a rugby tour with a mess of Brit's and a few Irishmen.

chasm54 03-21-13 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTallRider (Post 15410601)
But I must say, trying to keep up with a Brit's beer drinking is a good way to end up throwing up in a hotel staircase: been there, done that. One hasn't lived until one has been a tour virgin on a rugby tour with a mess of Brit's and a few Irishmen.

It's true, there's a strong streak of drunkenness running through British culture, and the Irish are, if anything, worse.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 PM.