Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-15, 01:46 PM   #1
ColnagoC40
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ColnagoC40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New York Gran Fondo

Anyone here doing the 100 mile in May?
ColnagoC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 06:50 PM   #2
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,616
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I'd have to go off my Viagra.

Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 08:28 PM   #3
ColnagoC40
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ColnagoC40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
If you can do it in 4 hours the Viagra will only last half way.

I'm in, for the Fondo I mean.
ColnagoC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 01:21 AM   #4
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,616
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
The Fondu isn't on the radar, but I will be down the road in SC in July...
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 10:18 AM   #5
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,947
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
a wee bit too much coin to ride on roads I've lived on my whole life.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 11:07 AM   #6
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
a wee bit too much coin to ride on roads I've lived on my whole life.
Interestingly, there seems to be two camps on the GFNY. People who feel, as you do, that the cost is too high given their proximity to the route or people who sort of treat it the same way you to eating at a higher-end restaurant. Sure, in theory, you could prepare the same food that you're eating, but not having to do that plus the experience as a whole, makes it worth it for some folks.

You know what the scam is? The fact that he has to pay police departments to serve as crowd marshals when most of them have groups of volunteers who agree to serve as traffic marshals for events. My point is they're not actually incurring that much overtime cost.

It seems he's going after an increasingly international contingent who make it a primary U.S. event, along with the traditional NYC racing crowd. Uli definitely as a 'tude, but if that event could serve as a springboard to one day getting a domestic and/or one-day Pro Continental race in NYC, that would be beyond cool.

I think that could definitely happen at some point if the right folks got together.
cafzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 11:23 AM   #7
ColnagoC40
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ColnagoC40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going simply because I have never been to NYC, so there is a couple of days extra to explore. Second, not to many opportunities around for a timed 100 miler with age category recognition.
ColnagoC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 12:39 PM   #8
cderalow
Senior Member
 
cderalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Potomac, MD
Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking at that, but am pushing harder for Gran Fondo Las Vegas instead.
cderalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 07:49 PM   #9
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,616
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
I was looking at that, but am pushing harder for Gran Fondo Las Vegas instead.
Hookers or hot dogs. I like your choice.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 07:52 AM   #10
cderalow
Senior Member
 
cderalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Potomac, MD
Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Hookers or hot dogs. I like your choice.

definitely went for hookers....

registered for GF LV this morning.

now to train for climbing... a lot.

98.7 miles, 8200' of gain

significant over what I'm normally used to
cderalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 12:52 PM   #11
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,947
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
Interestingly, there seems to be two camps on the GFNY. People who feel, as you do, that the cost is too high given their proximity to the route or people who sort of treat it the same way you to eating at a higher-end restaurant. Sure, in theory, you could prepare the same food that you're eating, but not having to do that plus the experience as a whole, makes it worth it for some folks.

You know what the scam is? The fact that he has to pay police departments to serve as crowd marshals when most of them have groups of volunteers who agree to serve as traffic marshals for events. My point is they're not actually incurring that much overtime cost.

It seems he's going after an increasingly international contingent who make it a primary U.S. event, along with the traditional NYC racing crowd. Uli definitely as a 'tude, but if that event could serve as a springboard to one day getting a domestic and/or one-day Pro Continental race in NYC, that would be beyond cool.

I think that could definitely happen at some point if the right folks got together.
that's never going to happen. NYC is closer to a flat out cycling ban than inviting some event that requires road closures. The funny thing about the NYGrand fondo is that the majority is in NJ. NYC had a pro crit on wall street (go Joe Papp), and a stage of the tour de trump (maybe dupont) in central park. Those days are over.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 12:59 PM   #12
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
that's never going to happen. NYC is closer to a flat out cycling ban than inviting some event that requires road closures. The funny thing about the NYGrand fondo is that the majority is in NJ. NYC had a pro crit on wall street (go Joe Papp), and a stage of the tour de trump (maybe dupont) in central park. Those days are over.
It may very well not happen, but the cycling ban talk is nuts. Citibike is very successful and cycling is growing in popularity. Yes, there are flare ops, largely following an accident, but there's going to be no ban.

Already, there's a well-known crit in Harlem that attracts a decent crowd including some Continental teams.

When people say "those days are over" in regard to NYC, NY, NJ politics, its because no one's wiling to try something. And no one may try launching a race, but it could certainly happen.
cafzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 01:12 PM   #13
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,616
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
definitely went for hookers....

registered for GF LV this morning.

now to train for climbing... a lot.

98.7 miles, 8200' of gain

significant over what I'm normally used to
Have the cabrito at Viva Zapatas. Love that place.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 04:00 PM   #14
cderalow
Senior Member
 
cderalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Potomac, MD
Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Have the cabrito at Viva Zapatas. Love that place.

My inlaws live in west Las vegas area (off 95)... i've never made it further east than the strip really.

I'm sure since my MIL is in DC for that weekend and it's just my FIL, we'll do some bigass steak dinner the night before (probably Lawry's) and then I'll eat something good for breakie and head out
cderalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 08:27 AM   #15
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Have the cabrito at Viva Zapatas. Love that place.
It's a well known secret that the way to beat Ex is to have the course go past Viva Zapatas. And if I'm with 50 miles of the place, I'm eating there!
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 09:25 AM   #16
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,947
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
It may very well not happen, but the cycling ban talk is nuts. Citibike is very successful and cycling is growing in popularity. Yes, there are flare ops, largely following an accident, but there's going to be no ban.

Already, there's a well-known crit in Harlem that attracts a decent crowd including some Continental teams.

When people say "those days are over" in regard to NYC, NY, NJ politics, its because no one's wiling to try something. And no one may try launching a race, but it could certainly happen.
People are promoting races. They just need to be out of the parks at a time that would make a pro race impossible. Too long and no spectators. That these guys who promote races full time lack the initiative to do what you're saying strikes me as a pretty narrow view. If they could do it surely they would. Eustice most certainly would have.

Harlem is no longer a pro calendar race so it doesn't have draw pro teams, aside from the guys already from the area.

There's not likely to be s cycling ban, but races will continue to get harder to put on, not easier. Anything that requires closures adds a degree of difficulty and something like a pro race the length of the gran fondo is bravado talking.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:39 AM.