Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Moto vs cycling full face helmet

    for the racers, do you prefer moto or cycling full face helmet?

  2. #2
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a moto helmet, Airoh Aviator, but it's ACU gold stickered which is a euro certification. If not that, I personally would wear DOT only, then ASTM 1952, then SNELL, then CPSC 1203 in that order.

  3. #3
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be a firm believer in moto helmets for downhill and used a SixSixOne Hurricane Flight for a couple or three years. There have been two schools of thought on the subject: I originally switched because, at the time, more and more team managers were wanting their racers in moto helmets because of the potential for high-energy crashes nearly or as severe as one on a moto. Plus, I came from a moto background, where Snell is the holy grail; so I wanted to get back to a Snell helmet. (BTW, as far as I'm concerned, a DOT cert is meaningless. If you've seen those 'puddin' bowl' pieces of crap that a lot of Harley riders wear, you'll see that, somehow, those jokes-for-helmets are DOT certified). For my money, SMF cert is still the only way to go on a moto.

    Later, I got into a good, spirited discussion of moto vs. bike full-face helmets on another forum with Sean Estes (Easton-Bell Sports) who sat on the ASTM board that drew up the ASTM 1952 standard. Thier contention is that there was a lot of evidence that moto helmet shells are almost too stiff and non-compliant for anything but an extremely high-speed moto crash - - and that the bike full-face should not be quite as rigid (think crush-zones). I didn't want to believe him at the time; but I did more research on my own, went over his arguments again and the reasoning eventually won my over. My next helmet was an Evolution Carbon, which served me well before giving up its life for me this spring. I'm now using an Urge Down-O-Matic, which does not right now carry an ASTM certification but does meet CE1078, which is reputed to be almost as rigorous of a standard as Snell B95.
    Last edited by dminor; 10-04-11 at 03:08 PM.

  4. #4
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    (BTW, as far as I'm concerned, a DOT cert is meaningless. If you've seen those 'puddin' bowl' pieces of crap that a lot of Harley riders wear, you'll see that, somehow, those jokes-for-helmets are DOT certified).
    I don't think anyone would advocate racing dh in one of those puddinhead helmets.


    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    For my money, SMF cert is still the only way to go on a moto.
    Really? Even if you're racing offroad in hot weather for 4 hours through super tight woods and technical terrain without getting out of second gear? Before I got the Airoh, I was contemplating an ASTM 1952 helmet for that task. I do have a Snell helmet (Klim F4) which is touted as the best ventilated Snell helmet out there and doesn't breathe anywhere near as good as the Airoh. And it weighs twice as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Thier contention is that there was a lot of evidence that moto helmet shells are almost too stiff and non-compliant for anything but an extremely high-speed moto crash - - and that the bike full-face should not be quite as rigid (think crush-zones).
    Based on my research and observation, it's the snell helmets that are uber stiff, where as DOT/ECE helmets like the Airoh and the Rockgardn Blacklite are more flexible.

    Please don't make me research anything again though, d - after reading all those certifications my brain felt like I'd gotten a concussion anyway!

    /devilsadvocate

  5. #5
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptid01 View Post
    I don't think anyone would advocate racing dh in one of those puddinhead helmets.
    I know; my point was just that a DOT cert in and of itself it pretty much meaningless.

    Quote Originally Posted by cryptid01 View Post
    Really? Even if you're racing offroad in hot weather for 4 hours through super tight woods and technical terrain without getting out of second gear?
    Really. But maybe I'm odd (don't say it...) - - I've never really been bothered by the less-than-optimal ventilation in a moto helmet. Even wearing an early-gen Bell Star in 100-mile desert hare-and-hounds.


    Quote Originally Posted by cryptid01 View Post
    Based on my research and observation, it's the snell helmets that are uber stiff, where as DOT/ECE helmets like the Airoh and the Rockgardn Blacklite are more flexible.

    Please don't make me research anything again though, d - after reading all those certifications my brain felt like I'd gotten a concussion anyway!
    Yeah, that's kind of what I went through when I was looking retire/replace my Hurricane Flight. I'd seen enough of ASTM 1952 after researching and discussions with punkassean.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •