Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How often do you switch tires?

    How many people switch out tires depending upon the type of terrain? For those who race, do you have a specific "race" tire that you use? While I'm thinking about it, do different tires make that much of a difference?

  2. #2
    Gravity Is Yer Friend dirtbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
    Posts
    2,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will only switch the tires when racing. If it is gumbo mud, deep sand, hard packed, wet grass, etc. etc. etc. As for noticing a difference, that will depend on how intune you are with your bike, your skill level and in terms of racing how fast you go, especially in a dh race.

    Other then that I will leave my NBX 2.3 FR's on no matter what the terrain when just out toolin' around the trails. Other wise it gets to pricy and is a pain.


  3. #3
    Giggity giggity! Dirtbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Danville, Ca
    My Bikes
    Yeti DJ Custom build. X.9, Marzocchi, RaceFace, Gamut, DT, Truvativ, Michelin, Hope.
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If/When I start racing, I will use Michelin soft compound tires just for the race. Im using a Michy dual compound tire that doesnt wear down as fast because I dont need the extra traction.
    Rides: 06 Demo8 II, Yeti DJ
    Pin it baby!

  4. #4
    Canon fiend MadMan2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    old peugot frankenbike
    Posts
    3,918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switch tires whenever the tread gets worn out, or I get a stupid idea to try new tires.

    Installing crap is annoying to me, tires especially.

  5. #5
    My life be like ooh aah anthonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my old ones wear out.
    Any true downhiller can huck, but no hucker can truly downhill - Ryan N.

    Mtbworld - http://mtbworld.mybesthost.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbike
    If/When I start racing, I will use Michelin soft compound tires just for the race. Im using a Michy dual compound tire that doesnt wear down as fast because I dont need the extra traction.
    Ooh! Dirtbike, how are the Michelin Dual Compounds? Just wondering because when I'm leaving for a weekend in Andorra to cycle you get a free set Michelin Dual Compounds along with the use of the DH trails, lifts, etc.
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  7. #7
    Just Ride
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    My Bikes
    2005 Giant Yukon with the works.
    Posts
    1,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonaut
    When my old ones wear out.
    Same, once my front or rear tire is just too poorly to be on road or offroad, a new one goes on.

  8. #8
    My life be like ooh aah anthonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sS-bEn
    Same, once my front or rear tire is just too poorly to be on road or offroad, a new one goes on.
    Yep.
    Any true downhiller can huck, but no hucker can truly downhill - Ryan N.

    Mtbworld - http://mtbworld.mybesthost.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires can make a big difference if you ride aggressively, bike in rugged/steep terrain or in areas with sand and sharp rocks.

    I switch rear tires between where I live in N Florida and the N Georgia/Tenn./ N Carolina Mountains. I switch both tires when I go out to Moab.

    I also experiment, though infrequently, when I see an interesting tread pattern.

    Al

  10. #10
    Gravity Is Yer Friend dirtbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
    Posts
    2,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Ooh! Dirtbike, how are the Michelin Dual Compounds? Just wondering because when I'm leaving for a weekend in Andorra to cycle you get a free set Michelin Dual Compounds along with the use of the DH trails, lifts, etc.
    Sweet!! New tires just for puchasing tickets and using their trails. So what is the price to use their facilities? Does it cover the price of the tires?


  11. #11
    THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!! Killer B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Western, NC .... (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont)
    My Bikes
    HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR
    Posts
    1,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires can & do make all the difference in the world as far as riding/racing goes. One quick note about "dry conditions" DH racing tires, they're usually almost worn-out by most people's standards. Not that they're old by any means (they're brand new), only that the tread height is alot lower for decreased rolling resistance. That leads me into what makes the differences so apparent. The weight and tread design have the biggest effect on your ride as far as tires are concerned. Just by changing from a 1.8" rear to a 2.3" tire makes my bike alot harder to pedal uphill. I run the same air pressure in both sizes (60 lbs).

    To repeat myself many times over, your tires/wheelset has the greatest effect on the amount of effort it takes to climb or simply pedal your bike. If you can lower these weighs only by a single pound, you'd be amazed at how much easier it is to pedal...

    The tread design is also a huge factor in yes, "rolling resistance". The design is also something you'd want to consider for the particular terrain your gonna ride on. I usually keep mud knobbies on my bikes year 'round since it's usually muddy year 'round in my area. It's all common sense really....

    Which one has the most rolling resistance:

    ... OR...

    The Storm Control on the left obviously. But it makes one helluva snow tire, believe me....
    Last edited by Killer B; 05-21-05 at 09:22 AM.

  12. #12
    Giggity giggity! Dirtbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Danville, Ca
    My Bikes
    Yeti DJ Custom build. X.9, Marzocchi, RaceFace, Gamut, DT, Truvativ, Michelin, Hope.
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Ooh! Dirtbike, how are the Michelin Dual Compounds? Just wondering because when I'm leaving for a weekend in Andorra to cycle you get a free set Michelin Dual Compounds along with the use of the DH trails, lifts, etc.
    I found that they arent that great. They are kinda slippery on wet rocks, but they are supposed to last a long long time. The sideknobs are a little softer compound, which helps, but dont grip as well as other tires I have used. The main reason I got them is because I ride on conrete/asphalt alot, and because they roll very well. The Michy DH soft compound tires are where its at. They glue you to the ground, and according to my friend mike, who races semi-pro DH, they last way longer than any other DH tire.
    Rides: 06 Demo8 II, Yeti DJ
    Pin it baby!

  13. #13
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically I change tyres twice a year, One winter set and one hardpack set, Oh then theres the odd occasion when slicks go on for a road ride. In fact I don't--3 sets of wheels so if it is gloopy in the spring I can put on the Mud set of wheels, or if it I know theres not much mud on the route I am taking on that ride, Then the normal offroad wheels are used.

    But then I only ride one area and I know the terrain I am going to meet. I know the tyre that works for me on that terrain so only need one set of offroad tyres.(Fire XC's in 1.8 and Mud Pro's in 1.8 for the gloopy stuff). As I say theres then the Road rides and I use Continental Grand prix's for that. Then of course then there's the Tandem but thats a different story.

  14. #14
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer B
    Tires can & do make all the difference in the world as far as riding/racing goes. One quick note about "dry conditions" DH racing tires, they're usually almost worn-out by most people's standards. Not that they're old by any means (they're brand new), only that the tread height is alot lower for decreased rolling resistance. That leads me into what makes the differences so apparent. The weight and tread design have the biggest effect on your ride as far as tires are concerned. Just by changing from a 1.8" rear to a 2.3" tire makes my bike alot harder to pedal uphill. I run the same air pressure in both sizes (60 lbs).

    To repeat myself many times over, your tires/wheelset has the greatest effect on the amount of effort it takes to climb or simply pedal your bike. If you can lower these weighs only by a single pound, you'd be amazed at how much easier it is to pedal...

    The tread design is also a huge factor in yes, "rolling resistance". The design is also something you'd want to consider for the particular terrain your gonna ride on. I usually keep mud knobbies on my bikes year 'round since it's usually muddy year 'round in my area. It's all common sense really....

    Which one has the most rolling resistance:

    ... OR...

    The Storm Control on the left obviously. But it makes one helluva snow tire, believe me....
    60lb???? I run 38 rear and 34 front in my Minion DH tires.How do you get much traction with that kind of air pressure?
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  15. #15
    XXXtreme Killer*B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over Hell & 1/2 of Georgia....
    My Bikes
    DBR Accent EX & Axis TR, K2 Beast & Flyin' Monkey, Haro Xtreme 2
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't, but that's the way I'm used to riding....

    Actually, I have to ride pretty aggressive tire patterns to be able to stay on the trails @ high speeds. It's a different experience with high pressures. I feel everything, and yet my 6" of suspension soaks it up nicely. Usually the only times I have it difficult is with "wet" slick rocks & "wet" slick roots....
    I put more miles on my bikes than on my SUV....

  16. #16
    The Man. FoX Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sitting
    My Bikes
    Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    three times everytime i ride.... I have had my bike for a year, have not replaced the tires once. They are DH tires though, i'd say they still have at least half a season left in them.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikedude
    Sweet!! New tires just for puchasing tickets and using their trails. So what is the price to use their facilities? Does it cover the price of the tires?

    Well, overall, the use of the facilities is 25 euros (ski lifts, trails, test out 2006 products, etc) but I'm choosing to pay the 100 euros for which my LBS takes me and my bike to Andorra and back, gives me lodging, gives me breakfast and dinner and use of the facilities (ski lifts, trails, test out 2006 products, etc).

    But yeah, going there alone just for the tyres is worth it.

    Dirtbike: OK, thanks for the info.

    One question: Would the Michelins be better than Specialized Enduro 2.2s for mostly mountain riding? I mean, should I switch the tyres the second I get them so I can use them over the weekend in Andorra or should I just have them as spares?
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  18. #18
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the bike. I use all my bikes so tires don't wear like they used to. But I used to replace my rear every 3 months or so and my front once a year.

  19. #19
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer*B
    I don't, but that's the way I'm used to riding....

    Actually, I have to ride pretty aggressive tire patterns to be able to stay on the trails @ high speeds. It's a different experience with high pressures. I feel everything, and yet my 6" of suspension soaks it up nicely. Usually the only times I have it difficult is with "wet" slick rocks & "wet" slick roots....
    Hey killed, stick to one name ...you posted under your old account

  20. #20
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,082
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More often thn some but nowhere near as often as KonaRider24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •