Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Iíve been looking into getting my first real mountain bike for a couple months and Iíve done test rides on all of the Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Iron Horse and Giant bikes that are in the $500.00 to $800.00 price range.

    After riding several of these bikes multiple times I came to the conclusion that I definitely like the Giant geometry the best but now I have to decide between the Giant Iguana and the Rainier.

    I can get the Iguana for $549.99 and the Rainier for $779.00. Iíve ridden both of them up and down some very steep single track and I really noticed the difference with the Rainierís brakes, derailleurs and fork but Iím not sure if it is worth the extra $230.00. I also weighed both the bikes and the Rainier was 28.5 pounds while the Iguana was 32 pounds so the Rainier is a good 3.5 pounds lighter.

    Do you guys think that the difference between the Iguana and the Rainier is worth an extra $230.00?


    Thanks, Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy S; 06-04-05 at 05:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BoBo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, you said yourself it rides better, so get whats better, that 230 will make a difference.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís what I would definitely do if I knew for sure that the bikeís geometry would fit me for more then a couple of years but Iím only 16 and I will probably still grow some more so the bike might not fit me as well geometry wise 3 to 4 years down the road. Do you still think it would be worth it to buy the Rainier or should I think more about the Iguana and buy a higher end bike when Iím in my 20s?

  4. #4
    jc1
    jc1 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you noticed the difference on a test ride, you will only notice it more and more as you ride more and more. If you decide on the cheaper bike, you will forever wish you had spent a few bucks more. If you decide on the more expensive bike, you will forever have more confidence in your bike.

  5. #5
    Dismember harov3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    My Bikes
    Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 to 4 years down the road either of these bikes will need replacement or complete refurbishment so its likely you'll be buying another bike by the time your 20 anyway. Both these bike are decent machines, obviously the rainier is lighter. Personally I buy the best bike I can afford and in your place I'd choose the rainier. Upgrades post purchase are always more expensive than just buying the bike you want. Let us know what you choose

  6. #6
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harov3
    3 to 4 years down the road either of these bikes will need replacement or complete refurbishment so its likely you'll be buying another bike by the time your 20 anyway. Both these bike are decent machines, obviously the rainier is lighter. Personally I buy the best bike I can afford and in your place I'd choose the rainier. Upgrades post purchase are always more expensive than just buying the bike you want. Let us know what you choose
    I'll back up the Rainier. The fact that it feels better is 80% of the issue better components make the other 20%. In four years you'll be on something else and will have eBay'd the Rainier to some schlub anyway. You'd spend more than that to upgrade the Iggy anyway

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies. After doing a little more research online I found out that I was really test riding the í04 Rainier and not the í05 model. So, Iím going to go back and try to ride the í05 model and then do some more comparing before I make my final decision. The sale for the Rainierís $779.00 price will go off today but I think Iíd rather pay more and not buy the í05 model without riding it.


    Thanks again, Jeremy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •