Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-05, 09:10 AM   #1
robo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


My latest scheme to get a decent modern XC/Trail MTB for less money is to get a Supergo Access aluminum frame for $160, along with a decent fork, maybe a Manitou Minute 1:00 fork for $400, which comes with a free Cane Creek headset. The frame looks nice from the picture, with the pretty machined rear dropouts and red powdercoat.

Then i'd get a pair of Avid Mechanical discs for $200/pair, and a decent but inexpensive disc wheelset, $99 for the pair with Rhynolite rims and Deore hubs. I'd top it off with a clearance priced Race Face stem for $20.

Other than that, I would transfer my good condition 1996 XT drivetrain (shifters, brake levers, derailleurs, cassette, chain) and Sugino cranks with 1993 LX bottom bracket, seatpost, seat, handlebar, and bar ends.

Total cost: $858.75 for the new parts. I can install them myself (except maybe for the headset and BB), so labour costs would be small.


Anyone have experience with this frame? Is it a good idea?
(i know i posted something similar before.. but it was a different setup and frame, and i didn't pull the trigger on that one)
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 09:16 AM   #2
robo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW - i know i _can_ get a brand new MTB for that much, but the components would be much lower quality. The unknown is the frame.. is it any good?
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 11:20 PM   #3
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo

My latest scheme to get a decent modern XC/Trail MTB for less money is to get a Supergo Access aluminum frame for $160, along with a decent fork, maybe a Manitou Minute 1:00 fork for $400,
I'd rather have this http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/136...us-Headset.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo

Then i'd get a pair of Avid Mechanical discs for $200/pair, and a
Totally getting robbed $140 for the pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
decent but inexpensive disc wheelset, $99 for the pair with Rhynolite rims and Deore hubs.
$20 more would get you that on XT disc http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/120...-Lite-Rims.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
I'd top it off with a clearance priced Race Face stem for $20.
Did you actually look at how freakishly long those stems are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo

Other than that, I would transfer my good condition 1996 XT drivetrain (shifters, brake levers, derailleurs, cassette, chain) and Sugino cranks with 1993 LX bottom bracket, seatpost, seat, handlebar, and bar ends.
You assume that the seatpost will fit. As for the rest of it: It really doesn't make sense to go whole hog on a fork and brakes and back it up with 9 year old drivetrain parts. I don't care what condidtion they're in
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo

Total cost: $858.75 for the new parts. I can install them myself (except maybe for the headset and BB), so labour costs would be small.
You can get most of that on a brand name bike for about the same cash (exception being the fork) with a brand new drivetrain and control package
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo

Anyone have experience with this frame? Is it a good idea?
I'd do it as a spare parts bike, but I wouldn't go your route.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 03:36 AM   #4
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here goes. I built 3 of them one year, including one for an ex-girlfriend. (If you see an ultra hot blue eyed brunette marathon runner with a smokin' body riding around on a black Access frame with full XT drivetrain, including Shimano discs, and Excalibur wheels, please remind her that the correct thing to do would have been to either break up with me a week sooner, or not accept the bike, knowing she would be dumping me in a few days) Um, anyway, yeah, they're a decent frame. A bit stiff for some people, as I recall. No complaints from the 2 people that BOUGHT the complete bikes from me.

I agree with Raiyn about the brakes, and wheels. Avids can be had new for about $120/pair on ebay, and the XT/Rhynolite disc wheelsets are as low as $120. That's too much fork for the bike, better to go with a little less fork and spring for some SRAM X9, which I got on ebay for $112 (shifters and rear derailleur). You'll spend a bit more than you planned, but the bike would be that much better for it.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 07:14 AM   #5
darkmother
Get the stick.
 
darkmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an asian built, no name, 7005 series aluminum frame that looks identical to that one (same dropouts etc). Could be the same frame, hard to say. Anyway, I picked it up as a quick replacement for my Litespeed HT frame while it was being repaired at the factory. I did not expect much from it, but it turned out to be really nice. Extremely solid, and it handles really well. The build quality is way higher than I had expected as well-nice welds, and good, sensible design. Honestly, it probably is functionally as good or better than my Lightspeed. Not much bling, but quite a lot of bang.
darkmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 09:18 AM   #6
robo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice. Pricepoint has pretty good prices!

As for the fork, that Fox Vanilla 130 fork looks nice. I'm light (145lbs) and not a gonzo hucker or anything, so maybe a coil spring fork is inappropriate.. that Fox is an air fork right? I'm thinking that 130mm travel might be too much though.. aren't most XC HT frames designed around 80mm forks?

The XT wheelset looks nice.. i guess i'd go for that over the Deore hubs.

However...
I'm curious to know why everyone is so down on reusing my drivetrain. It is old in years, but in good shape and really has not been ridden much (ridden sensibly for one year, kept lubed and adjusted, then basically put in storage for 7 years). What will a new drivetrain get me aside from one extra rear cog and a hole in my credit card? Unless i'm mistaken, the technology hasn't changed all that much...
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 09:27 AM   #7
robo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about the Rock Shox Reba Race? http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/137...loc-Adjust.htm


It's simarly priced (just under $400) but is lighter and has shorter travel.. and more neat sounding gimmicks Actually, i'm baffled by all these suspension fork options. U-Turn, Floodgates, Poploc, etc..

Well, i sorta figured out Poploc... it's a handlebar mounted thingy that adjusts... something....

I wish i could actually try these forks before i buy anything, but unfortunately that's not possible.

Last edited by robo; 06-14-05 at 09:48 AM.
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 05:28 PM   #8
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
Thanks for the advice. Pricepoint has pretty good prices!

As for the fork, that Fox Vanilla 130 fork looks nice. I'm light (145lbs) and not a gonzo hucker or anything, so maybe a coil spring fork is inappropriate.. that Fox is an air fork right? I'm thinking that 130mm travel might be too much though.. aren't most XC HT frames designed around 80mm forks?
Vanilla's are coil. Floats are air. 130 mm of travel is a bit overboard, but I kept it in line with what you were looking at. Most XC frames are based on 80 - 100mm of travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo

The XT wheelset looks nice.. i guess i'd go for that over the Deore hubs.
For $20 more you'd be a fool not to
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
However...
I'm curious to know why everyone is so down on reusing my drivetrain. It is old in years, but in good shape and really has not been ridden much (ridden sensibly for one year, kept lubed and adjusted, then basically put in storage for 7 years). What will a new drivetrain get me aside from one extra rear cog and a hole in my credit card? Unless i'm mistaken, the technology hasn't changed all that much...
For the most part it would be completely ghetto fab. especially when you consider how cheap a good setup can be had.$79 $25 $15
Match those up with a decent crank and BB setup that would be miles ahead of that Sugino setup (that's a 124.5mm BB if I'm not mistaken) If this was going to be a commuter I'd tell you to go cheap, but if you're looking for a trail rig you need to step up a bit and help yourself with some better parts
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 06:10 PM   #9
troie
:\ ping of death
 
troie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: La$ Vega$
Bikes:
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
What about the Rock Shox Reba Race?
This will save you a few bucks.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Sl+Air+05.aspx

Click on the Market link, that fork is on sale for $288. From what Ive been told, there isnt much difference between the Race and SL except weight.
troie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 09:19 AM   #10
robo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm.. Thanks for the Reba SL suggestion. The weight is the same as the Race model, but it lacks the 'External Floodgate control', whatever the heck that is... I guess i can live without it. It doesn't come with a free headset though, so that adds ~$50 to the price..

As for the drivetrain, I STILL don't get it.. I shouldn't re-use older XT stuff because it's 'ghetto'? I'm not going for bling bling here, i want performance for my dollar. My '96 XT drivetrain is efficient, light, and shifts fast. What will lower grade SRAM changers do different?

I do understand the issue with the cranks. They are nothing so great, and i would be more likely to upgrade the crank and BB than the shifting.. Not trying to be difficult here, but i still haven't heard any _logical_ reason to throw out my shifters/derailleurs... I'll do it if somebody explains that newer shifters are actually _better_ in some physical way (looking 'old skool' doesn't count!)
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:15 AM   #11
darkmother
Get the stick.
 
darkmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
As for the drivetrain, I STILL don't get it.. I shouldn't re-use older XT stuff because it's 'ghetto'? I'm not going for bling bling here, i want performance for my dollar. My '96 XT drivetrain is efficient, light, and shifts fast. What will lower grade SRAM changers do different?
I say keep that stuff until it breaks. You are right, the new stuff isn't really any better.
darkmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:44 AM   #12
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
I shouldn't re-use older XT stuff because it's 'ghetto'?
Ghetto is as ghetto does. I think you should use it *because* it's ghetto.

Seriously, drivetrains are basically a disposable part anyways, like a brake pad. But the life of a drivetrain is measured in miles, not years. If the thing is still running smoothly, use it until it wears out enough to annoy you, then go for the hop up.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 04:55 PM   #13
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
My '96 XT drivetrain is efficient, light, and shifts fast. What will lower grade SRAM changers do different?
To be fair your 96 XT is about equivalent to today's Alivio at best. Things have gotten lighter, stronger and flat out better than your old stuff. The SRAM stuff I showed you is equivalent to LX.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 09:58 PM   #14
robo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
To be fair your 96 XT is about equivalent to today's Alivio at best. Things have gotten lighter, stronger and flat out better than your old stuff. The SRAM stuff I showed you is equivalent to LX.
No way! That is totally wrong. Alivio stuff is made of heavy stamped steel and plastic. It really _is_ ghetto. My XT gear is cast aluminum, polished and hard anodized. It looks and feels really nice.

Anyway, i'm not throwing out my drivetrain. I'll use it until it's actually worn out, and then upgrade..
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 10:47 PM   #15
harov3
Dismember
 
harov3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Australia
Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
No way! That is totally wrong. Alivio stuff is made of heavy stamped steel and plastic. It really _is_ ghetto. My XT gear is cast aluminum, polished and hard anodized. It looks and feels really nice.

Anyway, i'm not throwing out my drivetrain. I'll use it until it's actually worn out, and then upgrade..
Fraid not buddy, he's right. When was the last time you really looked at any current alivio gear?
A friend of mine has a 95/96 DBR XC dually dripping with xtr that he dotes on and I have to say my 2004 Giant Rincon (since sold) with its alivio/acera gear shifted better, smoother and quicker, every time. Why do you think they keep upgrading their stuff? its not just so weight weenies and $bling boys$ will buy it.
harov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 AM.