I have a Haro V2 I recently purchased from the LBS and I love it so far. I am rather new to mountain biking and really am enjoying myself. My question is this; is the Haro V2 frame a good frame to stick with and upgrade down the road, or should I ride it for a while and buy a new bike when I am ready to upgrade?
I am not ready to do either at this time, the bike is still fairly new and I am only cosidering upgrading to disc brakes at this time. However, if this is considered a good platform (the V2) to upgrade on, I will keep my eyes out for good deals on better quality components and upgrade as the need arises or as money permits.
I really like the frame and I am not a racer or a hardcore down hiller or anything, just a casual mountain biker. It seems to be a very sturdy frame and I have taken a few spills to test it out, no problems so far.
Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.
I ride an Australian spec V3 and the v3/v2 share the same frame. I like the frame, it handles well without being twitchy and it has to be strong given it holds my ass off the ground. Upgrades of any major nature require cubic dollars, my $600Au V3 is now a $1000Au bike for not much extra, the disk brake conversion you want will require new hubs,a wheel build and obviously, disks and rotors. You can do all this, http://www.pricepoint.com/default.htm is a good place to start. But if your new at this the bike you have represents a good entry point perhaps you should ride it for a year and find out what you like about it and what you dont.After a year see which is the better value for you, upgrades or a new bike at the level you want or like most of us, can afford. Enjoy
Thanks for the input, I have already purshased a new wheelset that is disc capable. I needed new wheels for an Ironhorse I ride on the road and would rither upgrade to disc capable wheels for the Haro and move the ones that came on the Haro over to the Ironhorse. I have not decided to install the disc brakes yet, plan to wait a while, but I am set if I make the decision.