Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-05, 10:44 PM   #1
bikerinblack
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bikes with no suspension

does anybody still ride bikes with no suspension, front or rear? i realize people do with low riders and everything. but im talking mountain biking of any kind, doesnt matter how soft or hard. i recently gave my younger brother (12 yrs. old) my old 13 in. trek 800. the bike is all cromoly with entry level sram shifters, and v brakes. he is only a kid but i am wondering if he should have at least entry level rock shox judys or even some entry level manotuis.
bikerinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 10:50 PM   #2
arboc!
Senior Member
 
arboc!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: specialized p.1, redline single x
Posts: 1,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mostly all mt bikes now have suspention forks, but there are purests who ride rigids still
arboc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 11:27 PM   #3
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just slapped a Surly 1x1 on my old Cro-Mo hardtail so yes some people still ride with full rigid bikes. Hell some people ride SS off road (not me) so if it works for him while he's this age great. He'll outgrow that bike soon enough
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 11:42 PM   #4
kritter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see a lot of SS MTB's that are rigid...why is that? It seems the guys need tree stump legs to go up the hills but going down they can only coast since the gearing is so low...is it a speed thing since they cant go as fast as a geared bike downhill that they dont need the suspension or extra weight?

I gave my girl my old trek 8000 which is xt/lx equipped and rigid and she smokes me up the hills!
kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 11:48 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter
I see a lot of SS MTB's that are rigid...why is that? It seems the guys need tree stump legs to go up the hills but going down they can only coast since the gearing is so low...is it a speed thing since they cant go as fast as a geared bike downhill that they dont need the suspension or extra weight?
You got me. The main reason I went rigid was the fact that my old fork was doing nothing for me. The weight savings sure didn't hurt either
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 05:31 AM   #6
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter
I see a lot of SS MTB's that are rigid...why is that?
We can't afford gears and high dollar suspension forks.
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 06:42 AM   #7
matheprat
Senior Member
 
matheprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The biggest drops I've ever done are on a fully rigid bike. And I have a 5x5 MTB before you accuse me of being biased!
matheprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:09 AM   #8
bkrownd
kipuka explorer
 
bkrownd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hilo Town, East Hawai'i
Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of us like things simple. I got simple suspension - pneumatic tires.
__________________
--
-=- '05 Jamis Nova -=- '04 Fuji Absolute -=- '94 Trek 820 -=- '77 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 -=-
Friends don't let friends use brifters.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:25 AM   #9
H23
Senior Member
 
H23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: bianchi
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. Full rigid is great for people that actually ride uphill and don't want to drag 40 pounds of bicycle through the woods.
H23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:40 AM   #10
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc
 
SpiderMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pasadena TX
Bikes: many bikes
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Single Speed for some is all about simplicity. I have two SSbikes right now. One has a suspension fork and one is fully rigid. I have found riding the rigid is taking me back to basics on the skills (like roots and rocks). For those that buck the categories, I think the award would go to those that convert full suspension bikes into SS.
SpiderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:44 AM   #11
Tweek
Telecommunication
 
Tweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Payne, AL
Bikes: Used to ride Trek rigid and hardtails, soon to have something new.
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride a full rigid, woohoo it's awesome for uphill riding. :-P
Tweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 08:11 AM   #12
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc
 
SpiderMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pasadena TX
Bikes: many bikes
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too bad I am married, this thread has given me an idea for a pick up line. "My bike is fully rigid, and so am I". I should hold onto that for when I piss the wife off, that would get her laughing.
SpiderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 09:19 AM   #13
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,765
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMike
Single Speed for some is all about simplicity. I have two SSbikes right now. One has a suspension fork and one is fully rigid. I have found riding the rigid is taking me back to basics on the skills (like roots and rocks). For those that buck the categories, I think the award would go to those that convert full suspension bikes into SS.
Full sus. fixed gear !! That's outside the box.





You ride while rigid? .............You started it.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 10:11 AM   #14
robo
Senior Member
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ride a rigid '93 Stumpjumper, although it does have a Softride stem, which gives maybe 1.3" of travel.

I'm looking to upgrade to a front suspension bike though, although i'm still not sure what to get.
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 10:49 AM   #15
chris_pnoy
ride like theres not 2mrw
 
chris_pnoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Baltimore MD
Bikes: Trek Bruiser 1
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode a rigid mt bike till the late 90's... It was great. I was jealous of my friends full suspension bike, so I got one of those suspension handle bar things... ummm... it was ok... I miss that old bike now. I heard the guy my dad sold it to made it look like crap...
chris_pnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:59 AM   #16
Sebach
Senior Member
 
Sebach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a 2004 Norco Hardtail that I just converted to full rigid (Surly 1x1). Man, I missed the rigid fork feel. I feel more connected to the trails.
Sebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 12:05 PM   #17
KleinRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: GA
Bikes: '95 Klein Attitude and Quantum, '92 Trek 830
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinblack
i recently gave my younger brother (12 yrs. old) my old 13 in. trek 800. the bike is all cromoly with entry level sram shifters, and v brakes. he is only a kid but i am wondering if he should have at least entry level rock shox judys or even some entry level manotuis.
He'll be a better bike rider in the long run by learning on a rigid where the margin of error is smaller (less forgiving). He'll learn skills with the rigid that he can use on whatever sus bike he ends up with in the future and smoke all his friends who just crash through everything.

My Trek is still fully rigid, and the Attitude is front sus only (I don't own full sus; my wife does though). I actually haven't ridden the Trek off-road in a long time (it's got slicks on it know)....I'll have to take it out for some nostalgia (sp?) time.
KleinRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 12:17 PM   #18
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc
 
SpiderMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pasadena TX
Bikes: many bikes
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleinRider
He'll be a better bike rider in the long run by learning on a rigid where the margin of error is smaller (less forgiving). He'll learn skills with the rigid that he can use on whatever sus bike he ends up with in the future and smoke all his friends who just crash through everything.
This thread reminded me of to call my brother. I got the go ahead to convert my old bmx into a bike for my nephew (8yrs old bikeaholic in training). I am doing this just for the purpose you stated up there. I Going to set the bike up the usual bmx way (freewheel and hand brakes) but putting an extra flat bar I have on it, it will be a small version of my rigidSS. He has wanted to go ride the trails with me and "grandpa". I have a feeling that after he builds the skills, we will be leaving my dad at the trailhead.
SpiderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 02:41 PM   #19
buzzwire
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: Specialized FSR XC Pro, OLD Schwinn rigid MTB
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been getting into trail riding on my old rigid. Tires = suspension! Yes! The only problem is it's not a very good bike, and it's hard to clean up with no sealed bearings, etc.

I'm upgrading soon, but I can't decide between a HT and DS. Everyone seems to have the impression that DS is automatically heavy, but the mid-range HT and entry-level DS I'm looking at from Specialized both weigh about 30 lbs. I didn't expect that to be the case, but we weighed both bikes at my LBS. I know I don't NEED the DS, but I might go for it if I can't find a down side (other than more $$$).
buzzwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 02:50 PM   #20
KleinRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: GA
Bikes: '95 Klein Attitude and Quantum, '92 Trek 830
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzwire
I've been getting into trail riding on my old rigid. Tires = suspension! Yes! The only problem is it's not a very good bike, and it's hard to clean up with no sealed bearings, etc.

I'm upgrading soon, but I can't decide between a HT and DS. Everyone seems to have the impression that DS is automatically heavy, but the mid-range HT and entry-level DS I'm looking at from Specialized both weigh about 30 lbs. I didn't expect that to be the case, but we weighed both bikes at my LBS. I know I don't NEED the DS, but I might go for it if I can't find a down side (other than more $$$).
I'd say go with HT as I'm guessing based on your post that your budget isn't too high and I think you'd be disappointed in the long run with a full sus bike in the 30lb range. I'm wondering why the HT bike you're looking at is also near 30lbs.
KleinRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 02:57 PM   #21
halfbiked
dangerous with tools
 
halfbiked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: minneapolis
Bikes: fat, long, single & fast
Posts: 4,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinblack
does anybody still ride bikes with no suspension, front or rear? i realize people do with low riders and everything. but im talking mountain biking of any kind, doesnt matter how soft or hard. i recently gave my younger brother (12 yrs. old) my old 13 in. trek 800. the bike is all cromoly with entry level sram shifters, and v brakes. he is only a kid but i am wondering if he should have at least entry level rock shox judys or even some entry level manotuis.
Suspension is overrated.
halfbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:30 PM   #22
Killer B
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!
 
Killer B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Western, NC .... (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont)
Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek
I ride a full rigid, woohoo it's awesome for uphill riding. :-P
But HELL coming back down, Huh?
Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:34 PM   #23
Killer B
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!
 
Killer B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Western, NC .... (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont)
Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMike
Too bad I am married, this thread has given me an idea for a pick up line. "My bike is fully rigid, and so am I". I should hold onto that for when I piss the wife off, that would get her laughing.
Sorry Man, if you've been married as long as me, they've already heard every joke or excuse in the book.... I like trying to play "Hard To Get". Remember those dayz? She always wins at "Holding Out" though. Thank GOD for left hands, huh?
Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 08:26 PM   #24
madbiker555
close to 2000
 
madbiker555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B
But HELL coming back down, Huh?
That's why you need strong wrists
madbiker555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 08:40 PM   #25
Killer B
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!
 
Killer B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Western, NC .... (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont)
Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbiker555
That's why you need strong wrists
At least my Left one is pretty strong....
Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.