Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-05, 05:46 PM   #1
javna_golina
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No permanent address, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
29" fork on a 26" wheel bike

Hello all.

I have one of these (from my limited knowledge I'd call it an XC bike) and I was looking to put some rigid forks on there. My current crown to axel height is around 480mm and all 26" rigid forks fall quite a bit short of this. However, the Surly Karate Monkey Fork is around 468mm, which isn't too big a difference. The thing is, it says it has removable cantilever mounts...is there any chance you can just move them a little lower? or if not, will disc breaks still work?
javna_golina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 06:16 PM   #2
ridehard
Stock 04 Kona scrap
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes: 04 Kona scrap
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The brakes should work, I dont know about the rest of it though.
ridehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 11:49 PM   #3
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javna_golina
My current crown to axel height is around 480mm and all 26" rigid forks fall quite a bit short of this. However, the Surly Karate Monkey Fork is around 468mm, which isn't too big a difference. The thing is, it says it has removable cantilever mounts...is there any chance you can just move them a little lower? or if not, will disc breaks still work?
Your current Axle to Crown is only 480mm when you're not on it accounting for sag which is what happens when you get on the bike the 468mm Karate Monkey will put you right about the correct ride height for your application without worring about the brakes
Edit: Substitute the Instigator that is Suspension corrected for a 100 mm fork, and has a 447 mm axle to crown height.
Never let it be said I won't admit when I'm wrong
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 06-20-05 at 05:05 PM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 10:17 AM   #4
Buzzbomb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Suburban Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
without worring about the brakes
Wrong. Brakes will be spaced from axle centerline for 700c wheels, and will not engage braking surface for 26 inch wheels. Run a disc in front and the problem goes away.
Buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 04:57 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
Wrong. Brakes will be spaced from axle centerline for 700c wheels, and will not engage braking surface for 26 inch wheels. Run a disc in front and the problem goes away.
You are of course correct. Thank you.
(I went ahead and edited the post to add in the correct data.)

I misread the post. What the Original Poster *should* be looking at is a Surly "Instigator" fork. I was under the false impression that the bike in question was a 29"er

The Instigator fork is suspension corrected to replace a 100mm fork and will work fine for the job at hand for the reasons I stated above. Right idea wrong execution
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 06-20-05 at 05:07 PM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 09:54 PM   #6
javna_golina
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No permanent address, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Your current Axle to Crown is only 480mm when you're not on it accounting for sag which is what happens when you get on the bike the 468mm Karate Monkey will put you right about the correct ride height for your application without worring about the brakes
Edit: Substitute the Instigator that is Suspension corrected for a 100 mm fork, and has a 447 mm axle to crown height.
Never let it be said I won't admit when I'm wrong
Thanks Raiyn, you stopped me wasting a bit of money! I was thinking it strange that I needed a 29" fork just to keep the geometry my 100mm fork provides.

Cheers!
javna_golina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:00 AM   #7
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javna_golina
Thanks Raiyn, you stopped me wasting a bit of money! I was thinking it strange that I needed a 29" fork just to keep the geometry my 100mm fork provides.

Cheers!
No worries. I'm just glad that my original error was caught prior to you making a purchase. Rest assured that Surly makes one hell of a Rigid fork. I've got one (Surly 1x1) on my commuter and I wouldn't swap my old fork back in if you paid me to
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.