Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-05, 02:18 PM   #1
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cassette Remover Tool

Is the Park tool FR-5 the right tool I should need to remove my shimano 8-speed cassette? Is the chain whip tool also necessary?

thanks
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 02:22 PM   #2
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain
 
telenick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dillon, CO
Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you need the whip to remove it if you have a free wheel ...but not to replace it.

Whip it! Whip it real good!
telenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 03:05 PM   #3
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by telenick
you need the whip to remove it if you have a free wheel ...but not to replace it.

Whip it! Whip it real good!
What do you mean to remove it...but not to replace it? I guess it is a free wheel?? Off a MTB. You mean free wheel as opposed to locking as in a rear brake skid??

Is the Park Tool mentioned above the appropriate one? Sorry, I am new to much of bike terminology.

Whip it good -Devo
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 04:30 PM   #4
madbiker555
close to 2000
 
madbiker555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You only have 53 posts and you've already paid up $25? And here I am with 875+, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.
madbiker555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 05:12 PM   #5
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain
 
telenick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dillon, CO
Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599
What do you mean to remove it...but not to replace it? I guess it is a free wheel?? Off a MTB. You mean free wheel as opposed to locking as in a rear brake skid??

Is the Park Tool mentioned above the appropriate one? Sorry, I am new to much of bike terminology.

Whip it good -Devo

Take your rear wheel in hand. Spin the casette. Whirr, clickity clickity. That's the action of a free wheel hub. Cool right? The direction that the casette spins is the direction that the lock ring needs to spin to come off. So the whip holds the casette while you wrench the lock ring off. See?

You don't need the whip to put it back on because the casette engages in the forward direction. IOW, it doesn't free wheel in both directions. Therefore, you can use the leverage of the whole wheel against the torque of the wrench to replace the lock ring. Easy. Right?
telenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 05:14 PM   #6
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain
 
telenick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dillon, CO
Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your avatar... that is the flavor of the month?
telenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:05 PM   #7
cryptid01
one less horse
 
cryptid01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Jesus NY
Bikes: are better than yours
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599
Is the Park tool FR-5 the right tool I should need to remove my shimano 8-speed cassette? Is the chain whip tool also necessary?

thanks
Yes and Yes.
cryptid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:58 PM   #8
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by telenick
Take your rear wheel in hand. Spin the casette. Whirr, clickity clickity. That's the action of a free wheel hub. Cool right? The direction that the casette spins is the direction that the lock ring needs to spin to come off. So the whip holds the casette while you wrench the lock ring off. See?

You don't need the whip to put it back on because the casette engages in the forward direction. IOW, it doesn't free wheel in both directions. Therefore, you can use the leverage of the whole wheel against the torque of the wrench to replace the lock ring. Easy. Right?

Oh okay...I totally understand what you mean now. I didn't realize when you said replace it you meant re-assembly. duhh...my bad
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 07:00 PM   #9
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by telenick
Your avatar... that is the flavor of the month?
yes I try to change it every so often. This time it is Diane Kruger as Helen in TROY.
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 07:04 PM   #10
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbiker555
You only have 53 posts and you've already paid up $25? And here I am with 875+, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.
With the advice I have been getting from the knowledgeable people here...it was/is so worth it.

What do you mean...you don't know what I am talking about? Did I say stuff all wrong? I thought I stated my question okay.
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 07:34 PM   #11
Killer B
THIS BIKE'S 4 U !!!!
 
Killer B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Western, NC .... (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont)
Bikes: HARO Xtreme X2, K2 Lithium 3.0, K2 Beast, K2 Flyin' Monkey, DiamondBack Accent EX, DiamondBack Axis TR
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brian, I hope that's a pic of your wife, Dude....

She's pretty!
Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 08:17 PM   #12
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
Thread Starter
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B
Brian, I hope that's a pic of your wife, Dude....

She's pretty!
hahahaha dude...its Helen. The face that launched a thousand ships.
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 PM.