Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After going to the bike shop they declared my rim is NOT right and is NOT the way it should be however a warranty exchange is out of the question. Cool, huh? Anyway, they are the only dealer of Giant bicycles in my area, and they have replacement rims for 40 dollars, however they are silver and I need black ones.

    Anybody know where I can get my hands on a black rim? Preferably a place that can ship it to me ASAP (so I can have it by friday morning...)

    2004 Giant Boulder SE.

    Rim: Alloy 36H w/Brushed Sidewall

    P.S. - If I were to get a new rear rim in silver to match the front one (assuming I break down and just buy two new rims from this bike shop) wtf do I do with the rear rim? Does it come with a new gear "pack" or whatever it is? I just can't picture how you'd change the rear rim without the new rim having the gear set.

  2. #2
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    After going to the bike shop they declared my rim is NOT right and is NOT the way it should be however a warranty exchange is out of the question. Cool, huh? Anyway, they are the only dealer of Giant bicycles in my area, and they have replacement rims for 40 dollars, however they are silver and I need black ones.

    Anybody know where I can get my hands on a black rim? Preferably a place that can ship it to me ASAP (so I can have it by friday morning...)

    2004 Giant Boulder SE.

    Rim: Alloy 36H w/Brushed Sidewall

    P.S. - If I were to get a new rear rim in silver to match the front one (assuming I break down and just buy two new rims from this bike shop) wtf do I do with the rear rim? Does it come with a new gear "pack" or whatever it is? I just can't picture how you'd change the rear rim without the new rim having the gear set.
    I got my black Sun rims from Jenson's...but Friday is pushing it now.

    I am not sure what you mean in your "PS" section. I think I am doing the same thing. You swap the cassette of cogs or whatever you call it to the new hub. Is this what you were commenting on?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the online stores (www.pricepoint.com, www.jensonusa.com etc). You could always just buy a whole new wheelset for $135 - XT Disc with Rhyno Lites. Add $25 for overnight shipping, and you'd have them Thursday.

    If you just buy a rim, your cassette wouldn't need to move since you'd be lacing the new rim to the existing hub. If you buy a new wheelset, the cassette would need to be switched to the new rear wheel (about $15 in tools, or probably a bit less in labor at the LBS).

  4. #4
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    I got my black Sun rims from Jenson's...but Friday is pushing it now.

    I am not sure what you mean in your "PS" section. I think I am doing the same thing. You swap the cassette of cogs or whatever you call it to the new hub. Is this what you were commenting on?
    The PS section was just something I added at the last minute because I felt it was redundant to post a new thread, I figured I'd just tack that question onto my existing question. I think dealing with the rear wheel sounds more like a "Gotta try it to understand it" type of thing.

  5. #5
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca
    Check the online stores (www.pricepoint.com, www.jensonusa.com etc). You could always just buy a whole new wheelset for $135 - XT Disc with Rhyno Lites. Add $25 for overnight shipping, and you'd have them Thursday.

    If you just buy a rim, your cassette wouldn't need to move since you'd be lacing the new rim to the existing hub. If you buy a new wheelset, the cassette would need to be switched to the new rear wheel (about $15 in tools, or probably a bit less in labor at the LBS).
    Guys, please... bear with me. I've been riding for years but never got this mechanically into it, so I get confused easily.

    Here's what I'm confused over: At first, I thought I could just walk in and buy a new rim, laced with spokes and all. But damn, if I go and buy a new rim that's really all I get, is the rim isn't it? I thought 40 bucks was cheap for a rim when the first bike shop quoted me that price.

    But wait, I have an idea... How about this... I could almost get the silver rim from the first bike shop and just paint it, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I could just tightly tape down the sidewalls of the rim where the brake pads would rub and just spraypaint the rest, can't I? Given, my bike isn't special. When I say this, I'm not overly protective of it and think OMGOMGOMGOMG THERES LYK A DEAD BUG ON IT OMG WORLD IS OVER. So, if spraypainting it even appeared half-assed I wouldn't care. But can you experienced folks give me some insight here, does this sound like a probabal idea? And, the bike shop that quoted me 40 bucks for the rim, do you guys think I'm getting just that, the rim only? They didn't say anything else regarding it, I just suspected it came with spokes/hub and everything else attached. Hahahhaa.

    Another thing, I did a search on Giant's site about other dealers and found a bike shop up north about 15 miles that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I distinctly remember passing this bike shop and nearly crapping my pants at its size, so perhaps I can find more viable rim options there for my Boulder SE.

    And, the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: If I get a new rim, what are the chances that the straightness at the area of the weld is the same condition as my current rim? Meaning, it's got such a bend in it (even though it's barely noticeable without a truing stand) that the brake pads GRAB that particular area and gives it the jump? What are the chances of me buying the new rim and having the same line of bullshat happen over again?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    The PS section was just something I added at the last minute because I felt it was redundant to post a new thread, I figured I'd just tack that question onto my existing question. I think dealing with the rear wheel sounds more like a "Gotta try it to understand it" type of thing.
    Yes...I am new to the biking world more or less. Even though my bike is from 1995...it has been a great wall ornament

    I am doing some of the stuff you are talking about. As we already established in other threads, I like to do my own work and buy tools. Here are some of the things I just recently bought (not all might be necessary in some peoples opinions):

    1) Park Truing Stand
    2) Park Spoke Tensiometer
    3) Park Cassette Remover
    4) Park chain whip
    5) DT Swiss spoke wrench
    6) Spoke calculators off the Internet
    7) Sun Rims, WOOdman hubs, DT Swiss spokes/nipples

    Everything is going great so far!

  7. #7
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    Yes...I am new to the biking world more or less. Even though my bike is from 1995...it has been a great wall ornament

    I am doing some of the stuff you are talking about. As we already established in other threads, I like to do my own work and buy tools. Here are some of the things I just recently bought (not all might be necessary in some peoples opinions):

    1) Park Truing Stand
    2) Park Spoke Tensiometer
    3) Park Cassette Remover
    4) Park chain whip
    5) DT Swiss spoke wrench
    6) Spoke calculators off the Internet
    7) Sun Rims, WOOdman hubs, DT Swiss spokes/nipples

    Everything is going great so far!
    I'm the same way. I'm stubborn about doing my own work. If I know darn well a professional can do something at a shop, then I feel as though I CAN do it just as good, so why bother going to the shop? Given, sometimes you just HAVE to go anyways.

  8. #8
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Guys, please... bear with me. I've been riding for years but never got this mechanically into it, so I get confused easily.

    Here's what I'm confused over: At first, I thought I could just walk in and buy a new rim, laced with spokes and all. But damn, if I go and buy a new rim that's really all I get, is the rim isn't it? I thought 40 bucks was cheap for a rim when the first bike shop quoted me that price.

    But wait, I have an idea... How about this... I could almost get the silver rim from the first bike shop and just paint it, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I could just tightly tape down the sidewalls of the rim where the brake pads would rub and just spraypaint the rest, can't I? Given, my bike isn't special. When I say this, I'm not overly protective of it and think OMGOMGOMGOMG THERES LYK A DEAD BUG ON IT OMG WORLD IS OVER. So, if spraypainting it even appeared half-assed I wouldn't care. But can you experienced folks give me some insight here, does this sound like a probabal idea? And, the bike shop that quoted me 40 bucks for the rim, do you guys think I'm getting just that, the rim only? They didn't say anything else regarding it, I just suspected it came with spokes/hub and everything else attached. Hahahhaa.

    Another thing, I did a search on Giant's site about other dealers and found a bike shop up north about 15 miles that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I distinctly remember passing this bike shop and nearly crapping my pants at its size, so perhaps I can find more viable rim options there for my Boulder SE.

    And, the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: If I get a new rim, what are the chances that the straightness at the area of the weld is the same condition as my current rim? Meaning, it's got such a bend in it (even though it's barely noticeable without a truing stand) that the brake pads GRAB that particular area and gives it the jump? What are the chances of me buying the new rim and having the same line of bullshat happen over again?

    Thanks!
    Any insight folks? I get off work in 3 hours, curious on whether or not it'll be worthwhile to go up north and talk to the other bike shop... because I COULD darn well go right home and go to sleep instead.

  9. #9
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Here's what I'm confused over: At first, I thought I could just walk in and buy a new rim, laced with spokes and all. But damn, if I go and buy a new rim that's really all I get, is the rim isn't it? I thought 40 bucks was cheap for a rim when the first bike shop quoted me that price.
    If you're being quoted on the price of a rim then yes, it's just a rim. No spokes, no nipples, no hub... If you're quoted the price of a wheel then it would be the rim, the hub, the spokes and the nipples all laced up, trued, stress-relieved and ready to go. You might need to bolt on a rotor if you have disc brakes and of course add innertube (if not tubeless), tyre and air. If it's the rear wheel then you'll also need to add or migrate a cassette. If you're being quoted for a wheelset then it's both front and rear wheels.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    But wait, I have an idea... How about this... I could almost get the silver rim from the first bike shop and just paint it, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I could just tightly tape down the sidewalls of the rim where the brake pads would rub and just spraypaint the rest, can't I?
    You could do that but don't expect the finish to last for very long. You might need to sand the part of the rim you want painted in order to prep the surface. Some rims also have some sort of finish clearcoat on the non-braking surfaces.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Given, my bike isn't special. When I say this, I'm not overly protective of it and think OMGOMGOMGOMG THERES LYK A DEAD BUG ON IT OMG WORLD IS OVER. So, if spraypainting it even appeared half-assed I wouldn't care. But can you experienced folks give me some insight here, does this sound like a probabal idea?
    Read above.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    And, the bike shop that quoted me 40 bucks for the rim, do you guys think I'm getting just that, the rim only? They didn't say anything else regarding it, I just suspected it came with spokes/hub and everything else attached. Hahahhaa.
    Read above.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Another thing, I did a search on Giant's site about other dealers and found a bike shop up north about 15 miles that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I distinctly remember passing this bike shop and nearly crapping my pants at its size, so perhaps I can find more viable rim options there for my Boulder SE.
    It's worth a shot. Always good to have options and there's no harm in checking out a new shop especially if you aren't satisfied with your current one for whatever reason.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    And, the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: If I get a new rim, what are the chances that the straightness at the area of the weld is the same condition as my current rim? Meaning, it's got such a bend in it (even though it's barely noticeable without a truing stand) that the brake pads GRAB that particular area and gives it the jump? What are the chances of me buying the new rim and having the same line of bullshat happen over again?
    It all depends. No one can guarantee that the same thing can't happen with the new rim... especially if you subject it to the same conditions. In which case, you need a stronger wheel that can take the punishment you're dishing out to it. It also could be that the build/assembly quality on your last wheel was suboptimal and that resulted in a weak wheel which then got tweaked by doing whatever it is you did to bend it. Make sure the new wheel is properly tensioned, stress-relieved and true. You might also want to consider having them check out the front wheel too.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  10. #10
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khuon - Just to clear something up, this is the front wheel I'm having problems with. Only reason I asked about the rear wheel was in case I decided to get the new set of rims which were silver to match... at that point I'd have no idea wtf to do with the rear rim replacement.

    I didn't do anything to the wheel. It was like this when I got it. I just sucked it up and dealt with it and figured when I go back for my free 60 day checkup they'll fix it. They didn't... So that's why I'm in the position I'm at now. I wonder if 40 dollars they quoted me was for the rim to be assembled on my bike, because to be honest 40 dollars for the rim ITSELF seems a little outrageous, especially considering my bike is a 300 dollar bike... it's not like it costs 7k or anything.

    The other thing is, IF I'm buying a rim and a RIM ONLY for 40 dollars then I wonder how I can detect if it's straight before I buy it. Because, you figure, if I walk out the door with the rim for 40 dollars, how in the hell can they guarantee me that it's straight? I mean, I guess if I took it home, assembled the spokes, laced them, trued the wheel, and found that this rim ALSO had the same problems as the first... I guess they could take it back and give me another one? Regardless, it would be SO NICE for me to bring my bike up to this shop, get a new rim for somewhere under 60 dollars (since that's all I have to play with, I'm on a tight budget because I have a long vacation planned starting saturday) put the new rim on my bike and ride it in the parking lot there and be able to say "Yes, I'll take it." Versus driving home, doing all that jazz, and only realizing after I spent a good chunk of the day assembling it that it sucks...

    On another note, say I let my taco rim like this. It wouldn't hurt anything, would it? The constant grabbing and releasing of the brake system everytime it hits that hole in the rim wouldn't hurt the brake system or anything else, would it? I think I'm just worrying too much, but I just wanted to be sure.

  11. #11
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the primary factours in the trueness of a rim is how it's built up into a wheel. Sure you can check for rough truing by placing it on a flat surface and making sure it's not warped but until you actually lace and tension the thing, you won't know for certain.

    As far as riding on an out-of-true rim... You'll certainly see a reduction in braking performance if you're using rim-brakes. Also an out-of-true rim can have a greater tendency to get even more out of true. And depending on the reason for it being out of true, you may be risking a total tacoing/folding which may be bad news for your face considering we're talking about a front wheel here.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  12. #12
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khuon
    One of the primary factours in the trueness of a rim is how it's built up into a wheel. Sure you can check for rough truing by placing it on a flat surface and making sure it's not warped but until you actually lace and tension the thing, you won't know for certain.

    As far as riding on an out-of-true rim... You'll certainly see a reduction in braking performance if you're using rim-brakes. Also an out-of-true rim can have a greater tendency to get even more out of true. And depending on the reason for it being out of true, you may be risking a total tacoing/folding which may be bad news for your face considering we're talking about a front wheel here.
    I'm not worried about the wheel effecting the bike performance wise when it comes to my health and safety, because I am not a hardcore biker, so it's not like I'm dropping in on 7 foot jumps while going 56 mph etc etc. I just cruise around on it, but I've always preferred the mountain bike style so I got a mountain bike versus a road bike. Plus I like to go on some light duty trails with my girlfriend, who's not into biking nearly as much as I am.

    I'm just worried about the bend in the rim effecting the brake system period. Sure, it'll suck, I understand that. But what I'm trying to get at is, will this shorten the life span of my brakes? Meaning, if I use this tacoed rim for the next year, then change it next June, is it possible my brake system will be of lower performance than it once was, despite the fact by next June I'd be using a new rim? I think I'm just worrying over nothing, but it's something that I don't know, and the best way to overcome the unknown gray area is to ask, so here it is.

    Khuon - If I go to the bike shop today, and they say oh yes we have a rim available, here take a look. And they show me a rim sitting on a shelf that'll suit my bike, what do you suggest I do to tell that it's straight? Yeah, I know truing it is where it REALLY counts, but with my rim as we discussed I have a permanate bend in it, and no matter how much I tweak the spokes I cannot get it straight. Given, the bend is at the seam, so I guess if I just really concentrated my naked eye on the seam and make sure there's no dips or buldges in it such as my rim, I suppose I'd be squared away. I wonder though, I wonder... how great of the price difference would be from a rim alone versus a rim with the hub, spokes, nipples, etc? I wonder if it'd even be possible to buy them already assembled! We'll figure it out later though... any advice you have to offer would be a great help! Thanks for your previous responses by the way. Time to get some sleep, then in a few hours I'll check out the other bike shop. I was talking with my parents about this bike shop, and apparently the guy who runs it is a distant relative... like my grandmother's brother or something or another... My mother told me he was recently in the newspaper for the oldest and most reliable bike shop. Apparently the shop itself has been in business over 100 years. Okay, I'm done rambling... time for sleep.

  13. #13
    Senior Member freeranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not try to change the color of a rim by painting it- it won't work. You say the shop has been in business for a while-but yet, they don't want to true the rim-or it is damaged and beyond truing? If the rim did come as it is with the bike, they should warranty it and charge you nothing. You can use almost any wheel on your bike-it does not have to be from the same mfr. as the bike. Check out some of the online shops-probably as cheap to buy a whole wheel, as to go to the shop, buy a rim, have them lace the spokes, and true it. Try jensonusa.com- they are very reputable, easy to deal with, and have decent prices-and are willing to help if you have a question. I've used other mail order shops, but they are number one on my list!
    P.S.-you say the shop admitted the rim is not as it should be, but won't help-I'd contact Giant directly, via the web, and let them know about this-I once had a similar problem (not Giant), and contacted the bike mfr. directly, and the problem was fixed for free-with some nice new parts thrown in too!

  14. #14
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    But what I'm trying to get at is, will this shorten the life span of my brakes? Meaning, if I use this tacoed rim for the next year, then change it next June, is it possible my brake system will be of lower performance than it once was, despite the fact by next June I'd be using a new rim?
    It may wear your brake pads unevenly but it is not going to do damage to your brakes. Brake pads are consumables. You'll need to replace them eventually.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    If I go to the bike shop today, and they say oh yes we have a rim available, here take a look. And they show me a rim sitting on a shelf that'll suit my bike, what do you suggest I do to tell that it's straight?
    Put it on a flat surface and look for deformations. It should at least start out being true.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Given, the bend is at the seam, so I guess if I just really concentrated my naked eye on the seam and make sure there's no dips or buldges in it such as my rim, I suppose I'd be squared away.
    You'll find that things like machined and reinforced seams are some of the things that set apart a higher quality rim from a lower quality one. This will undoubtedly also increase its price so take that into account.


    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    I wonder though, I wonder... how great of the price difference would be from a rim alone versus a rim with the hub, spokes, nipples, etc? I wonder if it'd even be possible to buy them already assembled!
    That's called buying a pre-assembled wheel. It depends on where you shop and which rim you're comparing the wheel against. Generally speaking, it's going to cost more but sometimes there are good deals on packages so that the cost of a wheel start to approach that of just a rim alone. These are usually for wheels that sell in high volumes. Also keep in mind that if you're looking at an entire wheel and it costs as much as a rim, generally speaking, the individual part of that wheel which is the rim will probably be of lower quality each than the rim. You can disguise things as a free lunch but true free lunches are hard to come by.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  15. #15
    pnj
    pnj is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do you NEED black?

    function vs. fashion......
    4130

  16. #16
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj
    why do you NEED black?

    function vs. fashion......
    Because the rims that came with my bike are black. I either want them all black, or all silver, I don't care. BUT, getting them in black seems more sensible being that I'm on a budget and REALLY don't want to change the rear. Since my tire is obviously black, along with the black rim, it looks very obvious if you slap on a shiny bling-bling rim on the front... not my style.

    What would be a good price for a rim? I'm trying to distinguish good prices from bad prices, etc... I just don't know what a good price is for a rim similar to what I have... I mean you could say the rim costs 80 bucks and I'd say "oh, okay cool" because I'm that unsure.

    If I can pick up a rim for 40 bucks, does that sound like a deal? Or should I set my price range higher, lower, etc? Is there certain "names" for rims or anything?

    Remember, this bike sees 80% road. When it does see trails it's normally just easy trails, something my girlfriend and I can do together. BUT, don't assume I want some really entry level wheel, cause I'd like to beat this bike around every now and then when I get the chance... more or less, the new rim I get I want to be as close to what I already have as possible.

  17. #17
    pnj
    pnj is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fyi, a wheel is made up of the RIM, SPOKES and the HUB. (I didn't really read the whole post, just skimmed.. so that may have been mentioned..)

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wide+Rim.aspx

    I personally would ride that rim you have. your not going nutty with it. if the only thing it effects is the brakes, I wouldn't let it bug me. (keeping in mind this is a girlfriend-cruiser-not-going-nutty bike)

    if I had that type of bike, I'd go single speed and rear brake only. keep it simple.

    if it has brushed sides, they must not be black. so go ahead and get whatever color you want and use black duct tape on the insides for the black/fashion color.

    with that said, ignore everything I just said.
    4130

  18. #18
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj
    if I had that type of bike, I'd go single speed and rear brake only. keep it simple.
    Don't you mean front brake only? And yes, I realise that it's his front brake that has the problem but he could always just flip the rims front to back.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  19. #19
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called the first bike shop back. The rim they told me about is spokes, nipples, hub and everything included. So that sounds like a probabal idea, for 40 bucks with the time I have left to find one it sounds like a good option.

    I called the first bike shop. They're oddly enough only open on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays... so I'll go there tomorrow morning after third shift lets out and check it out. I have a feeling this 2nd bike shop may have more of what I want, and possibly already in black as well.

    But regardless, the first bike shop has the silver rims, hub, spokes, nipples, etc already assembled for 40 dollars. I just hope that if the 2nd bike shop doesn't have what I need, that the 1st bike shop with the silver rim has some in stock! With my luck I'd go in at the last minute before I go to SC "Uhhh, sorry.. that man over there? He just bought the last one."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •