Hi, here is the situation. I am new to road biking having been primarily a mountain biker for a while. So, in late march, I purchased a 56cm cannondale r1000. I scrimped and saved, and also, decided to support my local business and get it there. So, I went in and tried a few bikes, and decided on the 56cm instead of the 54. Now, a little background on my local shop, it is packed with downhill bikes and freeride monsters, with a reasonable selection of road bikes. I felt pretty seriously stretched out on the 56 cm, and thought, "hey, this is what it's supposed to be like" so I got the 56. Now, after installing a shorter stem and getting a fizik arione with the long rails so I can jack it forward an inch or 2, I still feel pretty stretched out.
I went into a more distant shop today, which is listed on the serotta site as a place to get fitted and the fit / road race guy, who is my height 5,10" (155cm) told me I should be on a 54, and so does the fit calculator on wrenchscience.com (which I found a month after getting the bike), and after getting on it, I felt much better, more in control and not totally stretched out.
So, tomorrow, I'm going to go into the shop and see what I can do about a return/swap on a smaller model. what should I expect ? the r1000 has only been on the road since May as I got it in late march and the weather in April was too bad to ride in. the bike is in mint condition with the exception of a scratch on the chainstay where the guy at the shop did not install the little adhesive protector that came with the bike (I found out about that when I read the manual online, I did not get the protector with the bike).
Should I expect a straight swap or a fee so he can sell my old bike at a cheaper price, it has a nice new stem and 2 attractive water bottle cages. I can understand a fee, as it's not a new bike anymore, but what would be reasonable?
At this point I'm a little agitated that the shop guy did not steer me to an appropriate size, and that I did not research fit more before I got my bike. I'm tempted to go in there and piss away another 600$ to get the r5000 for absolutely no good reason other than to make myself feel better and see if it will help convince him to swap up the r1000.
any advice would be great