Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I work as a bike mechanic for a bike shop that carries Giant...what bike should I buy

    I work as a bike mechanic for a bike shop that carries Giant...what bike should I buy

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    First off I want to say high to everyone since this is my first post.

    I have been a bike mechanic for pretty much the last 3 seasons during my time off from college. I basically got in the business because I needed a job one summer and my best friend was leaving his job at the bike shop so I took over for him, but I was never really into bikes before then.

    Well for the past 3 years I didn't even own a bike, I basically just worked for the money, not so much because I was into bikes. But just last month I sold a lady a new hybrid and she wanted me to throw out her old bike. I thought to myself that it was going to be a 30 year old POS, but it ended up being a mint ~5 year old Specialized Crossroads...so I took it home.

    So I have been biking around with the crossroads quite abit and I'm having alot of fun, plus it saves gas. I like to ride in the trails, but since my bike is a hybrid and a full rigid, it is not so comfortable off-road. I do however like the fact of how smooth the 700c wheels roll on the road.

    Well so all this has gotten me interested in getting a new bike. From what I hear the prodeals through Giant are amazing so I should be able to get a very good bike for very cheap. I could probably just sell my current Crossroads for ~$100-$150 on ebay, and then use the money for a new Giant mountain bike. At our shop we deal A LOT with road bikes, but very little with mountain bikes so I need some help as to what would be good for me.

    My question is what bike should I bike looking for. I do about 75% on the road and 25% in the dirt trails. I won't be doing any jumping or anything of that extreme. I would like to buy a dedicated mountain bike for when I hit the trails cause the hybrid isn't cutting it. I figure I can always put skinny tires on a mountain bike, but can’t really do much with a hybrid. Plus I might just get an FCR flat handle road bike in the future for the streets.

    So what should I be looking at as far as a mountain. Should I go for a hardtail or full suspension? I know that is full suspension isn’t meant for comfort, but I hate bobbing around every time I go over an object on the trail, but then again I have a full rigid hybrid now. Should I go big (over $1k) or just buy some entry level hardtail like a Rincon to make sure I’m not into this as just a phase.

    So I’m thinking of either…

    Going big and buying either an NRS or Trance Full suspension…

    OR

    Going small and buying either a Yukon or Rincon to make sure I’m really into mountain biking before I blow money...

    Either way I can probably sell whatever I buy for what I paid a few years down the line so its not that big of a deal.

    …….Also should I wait for the 2006 lineup to come out to see what Giant has to offer, or just buy a 2005 now. From what my boss said the 06 line comes out in Feb 06.

    Thanks for the help.

    At our shop we deal A LOT with road bikes, but very little with mountain bikes so I need some help as to what would be good for me.

  2. #2
    DMN
    DMN is offline
    Middle-ground Communist DMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Isle of Wight - UK
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest (and all this is a suggestion) that you keep hold of the crossroads and use it for on road and get a nice Hardtail for off road use. A hard tail will teach you a lot about being a better rider. Have a read through the "Around $500 bike thread", it may give you some ideas.
    The views expressed above are badly thought out and hastley typed. Any spelling or gramatical mistakes, are, their to annoy.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMN
    I would suggest (and all this is a suggestion) that you keep hold of the crossroads and use it for on road and get a nice Hardtail for off road use. A hard tail will teach you a lot about being a better rider. Have a read through the "Around $500 bike thread", it may give you some ideas.
    Thanks for the help.

    Obviously what $500 can buy me is not what it will buy someone else since I work at a bike shop, but thing is I'm pretty limited to only buying Giant. So should I just get a lower hardtail like the Rincon or get their top of the line Rainer? Also why would you be against getting a full suspension?

  4. #4
    DMN
    DMN is offline
    Middle-ground Communist DMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Isle of Wight - UK
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about Rincons or Rainers.

    The advantage of getting a HT is that it will make you a better rider, you will learn how to chose the smoothest and cleanest line, instead of just plowing through everything as you can on an FS. End of the day its up to you.
    The views expressed above are badly thought out and hastley typed. Any spelling or gramatical mistakes, are, their to annoy.

  5. #5
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transam4life
    Either way I can probably sell whatever I buy for what I paid a few years down the line so its not that big of a deal.
    Actually next year you will be lucky to be able to sell your bike for what you paid for it. It sucks but that is how it goes with bikes. I have bought quite a few bikes on employee purchases including Giants, ridden them a few months and then sold them. Once you ride a bike it depreciates worse than a new car.

    As far as what bike you should get how much do you want to spend as far as "retail" prices go? That will make it much easier to help you out. Otherwise no one can make the decision for you as far as going entry level or going with a higher end bike. That has to be your decision.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  6. #6
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller 2010 DMR Transition 26
    Posts
    18,341
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the Rainer
    Quote Originally Posted by scrodzilla
    I'm going out on the town tonight and it won't be over until I snort a line of habanero seeds off the hood of a red Fiero.
    Words and Stuff.
    pedal room thingy

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Actually next year you will be lucky to be able to sell your bike for what you paid for it. It sucks but that is how it goes with bikes. I have bought quite a few bikes on employee purchases including Giants, ridden them a few months and then sold them. Once you ride a bike it depreciates worse than a new car.

    As far as what bike you should get how much do you want to spend as far as "retail" prices go? That will make it much easier to help you out. Otherwise no one can make the decision for you as far as going entry level or going with a higher end bike. That has to be your decision.
    Yeah I'm thinking of just going with a hardtail and seeing how I like in the trails. I think a full suspension bike would be to much for me since I'm just starting out. Probably stay under $1,000 retail.

    How much of a difference will there be from the 2005 models to the 2006 models...is it worth the wait? I guess I could just ask the Giant rep, but he only comes around every so often.

    I'm thinking to just wait for the 2006 Iguana to come out so I can see the specs (hopefully they go with a new color as well, not a fan of the gray on the 2005). It comes with just regular Deore components which should be more than enough for me. Btw...how is the Marzocchi EXR fork on the 2005 Iguana...is it better than the Rockshow Pilot C they had on the 2004?

  8. #8
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,498
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Rainier is far and away the best bike I have ever owned.

  9. #9
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would get the bike as soon as possible. I would hate to miss a season of riding because I wanted to wait for a new bike, especially just because of the color. If it was closer to the next model year that would be one thing, but six months is a long time to go without a decent bike.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford the Trance, get the Trance. I bought my wife a Ranier and, while it's a half-way decent bike; the components are utter crap and I'm not sure I've ever ridden a worse fork (I've used her bike on occasion when mine was down for some reason and I was jonesin' for a ride).

    If you want to go cheap, the Ranier's not bad but, if you can afford the FS rig, the Trance is a great bike and will last you for years to come.

    BTW, don't get the NRS! It may be one of the worst FS bikes ever built by a major manufacturer.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC
    BTW, don't get the NRS! It may be one of the worst FS bikes ever built by a major manufacturer.
    What makes you feel that way? I have always felt that when it has been set up properly (NRS 1 or the NRS Air) that it is one of the most efficient full suspension XC race bikes ever made, especially by a large company. It has to be set to zero sag. It is definately a race frame though, not intended to be a comfortable all-mountain all day type bike. I know a lot of people that are racing this frame and swear by it.

    For just riding around I agree that the Trance would be a much better choice though.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    What makes you feel that way? I have always felt that when it has been set up properly (NRS 1 or the NRS Air) that it is one of the most efficient full suspension XC race bikes ever made, especially by a large company. It has to be set to zero sag. It is definately a race frame though, not intended to be a comfortable all-mountain all day type bike. I know a lot of people that are racing this frame and swear by it.

    For just riding around I agree that the Trance would be a much better choice though.
    The problem with the NRS is that the zero sag setting makes the suspension virtually useless since the thing has to be set with such an exorbitant amount of air pressure. I would argue, in fact, that the way you have to set the shock up on that thing is actually a detriment rather than a benefit as it bounces you around all over the place when descending even a moderately technical descent. I rode a buddy's NRS a couple of times over various types of trails and I absolutely hated the thing.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to hear different views on bikes. Kind of goes with the "different strokes for different folks" philosophy.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah now that I think about it a Trance 4 wouldn't be to bad...I just need to figure out what my employee purchase price would be and if a full suspension would be worth it.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw...what is the difference between the NRS and Trance?

  16. #16
    Camaro driver
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey transam. Your name makes it sound like we might have a thing or two in common. My personal opinion is that if you are not wanting to break the bank, the xtc would be a good way to go (look at it on the website). It would be the nicest hardtail on the block, and race-worthy if you ever got more serious. With the discount, your price still within reason. The worst thing to do is spend a considerable amount of money, then realize 6 mos. later that you want something nicer. Also, learning on a hardtail is not a bad idea. Keep the crossroads for now, then check out the road bike forum someday when you get the itch to buy one of those too (Giant has you covered there too)...then you can sell the crossroads with no worries. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

  17. #17
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transam4life
    Btw...what is the difference between the NRS and Trance?
    The Trance has an entirely new suspension design (for Giant at least) based upon the Iron Horse "D-Link" (I believe that's what it's called) design. While I've never ridden this particular type of suspesion, I've heard from several people who I trust that this bike is 100% better than the suspension design of the NRS.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  18. #18
    Senior Member zx108's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea the guy at the bike store i got my bike from(not a nrs or trance) was saying it is pretty good. and then the tech guy is the back was working on a trance 2, and he told me it was also a good bike. i didnt like the frame design and it seemed like the bike i got (kikapu) was a better deal. also it looked like the position of the rear shock would collect alot of dirt, and also be hard to clean.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Team219er
    Hey transam. Your name makes it sound like we might have a thing or two in common. My personal opinion is that if you are not wanting to break the bank, the xtc would be a good way to go (look at it on the website). It would be the nicest hardtail on the block, and race-worthy if you ever got more serious. With the discount, your price still within reason. The worst thing to do is spend a considerable amount of money, then realize 6 mos. later that you want something nicer. Also, learning on a hardtail is not a bad idea. Keep the crossroads for now, then check out the road bike forum someday when you get the itch to buy one of those too (Giant has you covered there too)...then you can sell the crossroads with no worries. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    What would be better the Rainer or XTC for hardtail...what are the main differences?

  20. #20
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transam4life
    What would be better the Rainer or XTC for hardtail...what are the main differences?
    XTC is Giant's consumer "race ready" hardtail. The Rainier is very much a recreational mountain bike.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  21. #21
    huffy owns
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania.
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Boulder SE hardtail, 2008 Diamondback Response Sport hardtail, 2008 KHS XC 204 full sus mt bike, 2010 GT GTR Series 3 road bike.
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Boulder SE, which is much like the Rincon, but a step below due to it's different shifter and one gear less cassette. I'm happy with it, and like you I'm not a hardcore racer 247 like some people here. I just head out when I can. I thoroughly enjoy biking and don't plan to advance into any kind of riding than I'm already doing. I do plan to lightly upgrade the Boulder SE though, just to adjust it more to my liking.

    It really comes down to funds available versus interest in the sport. The Rincon is a nice bike, and will do the job pretty well. But if you want something more higher end than why not go with the Rainier? Both of them are great choices, but choose accordingly to your style.

  22. #22
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you guys are knowledgeable about raniers
    What is your opinion on buying this as a starter bike and what year is it??
    I'm unsure of the year but would this be a good starter bike and is the rear a hydraulic brake? The guy selling it doesn't know much but if it is 18", could a 5'6 female ride it ?
    The trails in Az are not too rugged but I'm hoping it's strong and a "better than average " starter bike and not too outdated model. Thanks for your comments.

    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bi...312.html]GIANT RAINIER montain bike!!! dual disk brake n front suspention!!!

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also is it normal to have a rear disc or would that be an upgrade from previous owner??

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol Slim, didn't look at the original date did you? ;P

    As to the zombie master...for a 5'6 woman that 18" is too big for a mountain bike. Depending on your proportions you would probably be more in the 15-16" area. Properly maintained hydraulic discs are the best kind for MTB. The rear disc could be an add on yes.

    Your link is dead btw.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX
    Posts
    5,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerFade View Post
    Lol Slim, didn't look at the original date did you? ;P

    As to the zombie master...for a 5'6 woman that 18" is too big for a mountain bike. Depending on your proportions you would probably be more in the 15-16" area. Properly maintained hydraulic discs are the best kind for MTB. The rear disc could be an add on yes.

    Your link is dead btw.
    Dammit!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •