Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 66 Vf vs. 66 Rc

  1. #1
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    66 Vf vs. 66 Rc

    This upcoming winter/spring I am going to buy a 170mm Marzocchi 66. From what I understand, the preload on the Vf is adjusted by external air, and on the Rc it is adjusted by the 30 click adjustment. I like my fork really stiff (as in preload). What I want to know is if the 30 click can get just as stiff as with the air?

  2. #2
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like a really stiff fork why in the world would you spend money on a 66. Its a dh fork, regardless of adjustments, sounds like you are buying the wrong fork

  3. #3
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I want more travel, but still be able to pedal hard with out the front being super "squishy".

  4. #4
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody have any suggestions for what im looking for. Marzocchi only!

  5. #5
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are dirt jumping right. You don't need a long travel fork. If you want a marzocchi fork and longish travel, and this is long for DJing, look at the Z1 FR line up, I would possibly go the Z1FR2, but the 3 would easily suit your needs.

    For a more standard kinda of travel fork you could look at he DJ series, again probably only need the DJ2 but could be nice having external rebound adjustment on the 1. The DJ series has 100mm of travel.

    If you want a fork that will feel really nice and be quite adjustabl and you are not that heavy a rider, look at the Shiver SC, 100mm HSCV fork. I have seen a couple and they are a verynice fork and most people can't even notice any extra flex even though they are inverted SC's.

    But why have you set your heart on a Marzocchi? There are plenty of other nice DJ forks around. Look at Manitou's Sherman Flick, 110-150mm adjustable travel, with TPC dampening, they feel very, very nice. Look at the Sherman Jumper, this is a very DJ orientated fork, 80mm of travel (all you need DJing) and has all the adjustments you need for DJing, just crank the compression if you want a stiff ride.

    What about RockShox? I would seriously consider a Pike if I were you.

    Why do you want a long travel fork? Why do you want a Marzocchi? If I were you and this I was putting them on a DJ/Street bike I would go for a short travel (80-110mm) fork, If it is more of an all round Fr HT, then ok, Iwould look to more travel, but not 170mm more like 150mm MAX. Then I would be looking at a Pike or Z1FR, even a Firefly Plus. If you do want a long travel single crown for the sake of having a long travel single crown then go for a 66 or Brakout Plus (camo lowers make it stronger) or even wait for the manitou Travis..... 8 inch single crown.
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  6. #6
    close to 2000 madbiker555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ontario, canada
    My Bikes
    05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what he means...I want a more plush/squishy fork but yet pedal friendly. I would go with the 66RC because it is easier to adjust, I find that air adjustment can somtimes be a pain (on my DJ3).

  7. #7
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Hopper]You are dirt jumping right. You don't need a long travel fork.
    Why do you want a long travel fork? QUOTE]

    Well to be honest I have really "pulled away" from dirt jumping. Tonight was the first time I have been dirt jumping in at least a month. Ive been doing a ton of freeride and some DH. So im trying to make my bike more freeride/light DH rather than DJ/urban, even though I do all 4. Maybe the 66 isnt what im looking for, but maybe the 30 click adjustment is. So what other Marzocchi forks around 150mm-170mm have this system? And is this the system I want anyways? I just want the preload to be super stiff when I want it, and really plush when I want it, just like I can with the air adjustment with my DJ 3's.

  8. #8
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be able to make your fork feel super stiff or super plush, depending on the conditions, look at something with adjustable compression rates. Out of interest what frame are you running, is it designed to take 170mm? As it is a HT and you are trying to make it more of an all round bike, I would look at around 150ishmm of travel.

    For what Marzocchi offer, I would be thinking a Z1 FR or 66in 150mm form, if you are thinking 66VF, don't get it get a Z1FR 1or2, they have better internals. Still why are you wanting Marzocchi???? Open up your options, I for one love Marzocchi, but would seriously consider a Sherman if I were in your situation, TPC dampening (Manitou) is a very plush, sensitiver and lively system which can be setup suer stiff. Also adjusting rebound can also make a fork feel totally fdifferent too. Perhaps you are looking for a fork with a SPV style system or Threshold barriers, then look at Manitou's evovle system or even a Fox 36, 36's feel so so nice
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  9. #9
    close to 2000 madbiker555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ontario, canada
    My Bikes
    05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper
    If you want to be able to make your fork feel super stiff or super plush, depending on the conditions, look at something with adjustable compression rates. Out of interest what frame are you running, is it designed to take 170mm? As it is a HT and you are trying to make it more of an all round bike, I would look at around 150ishmm of travel.

    For what Marzocchi offer, I would be thinking a Z1 FR or 66in 150mm form, if you are thinking 66VF, don't get it get a Z1FR 1or2, they have better internals. Still why are you wanting Marzocchi???? Open up your options, I for one love Marzocchi, but would seriously consider a Sherman if I were in your situation, TPC dampening (Manitou) is a very plush, sensitiver and lively system which can be setup suer stiff. Also adjusting rebound can also make a fork feel totally fdifferent too. Perhaps you are looking for a fork with a SPV style system or Threshold barriers, then look at Manitou's evovle system or even a Fox 36, 36's feel so so nice
    You forget that manitou has a reputation for components breaking in their forks.
    Last edited by madbiker555; 07-17-05 at 12:11 AM.

  10. #10
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no Manitou's brake......... Don't say hting like that, I have personally seen many more broken Marzocchi's that Manitou's. I have seen cracked crowns on boxxers, I have seen cracked arches on many a Marzocchi including 888's I have seen punctured lowers one 888's, I have seen cracked crowns on Dorado's, I have seen cracked arches on Shermans. Do you want to know what is scary, I have seen a cracked Fox 40 All of this is with my own eyes in person.

    Every fork has had problems, you can't make general statements like that..... Manitou's break omgwtfbbq1111!!!shift+one!!!1111 I have heard so many dodgy blanket statements which Ihave not seen backed up,
    1)Marzocchi's are invincible...... 03 DJ series and first run 888's (stupid bubbles in lowers)
    2) Manitou's break....... yes they do break...... but so do all forks
    3)Intense M1's crack at the headtube... I have only seen a couple of M1's that have had problems, none at the headtube, all cracked chainstays, but these were bikes that had been raced for years
    there are so many dodgey statements made in this industry, and you need to realise that most of them are not actually correct.

    I personally would feel very safe on any Manitou fork used for it's Intended Purpose except for the stance...... they feel like **** and there do seem to be more cases of them having problems. Also you may say that Manitou are crap cos they have made a couple of recalls, guess what that makes me feel safer, that way I know they believe what is out is safe.

    Oh yeah, Marzocchi's are bombproof and invincible....... I have seen an SSVF cart that had eaten itself.

    The main reason blanket statements come out are because you get little hardcore's riding something not being used for it's intended use then complaining taht teh EXR comp is teh crap cos it snapped wen i did my l337 Supa Hux0r 2 flat.

    Sorry for the rant but just wanted to get it off my chest
    Last edited by Hopper; 07-16-05 at 11:53 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  11. #11
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norcodirtjumper
    This upcoming winter/spring I am going to buy a 170mm Marzocchi 66. From what I understand, the preload on the Vf is adjusted by external air, and on the Rc it is adjusted by the 30 click adjustment. I like my fork really stiff (as in preload). What I want to know is if the 30 click can get just as stiff as with the air?

    Get the RC. The damping in the VF is not nearly as good.

    And the air preload in the RC can be set so stiff it's essentially locked out, if you so desire.

  12. #12
    close to 2000 madbiker555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ontario, canada
    My Bikes
    05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper
    you can't make general statements like that..... Manitou's break omgwtfbbq1111!!!shift+one!!!
    I didn't see that one coming...I was just pointing out the fact that manitou has had many problems with seals and oil leaking...wait a second...omgwtfbbq? huh!? someone's having a bbq and I wasn't invited!? Meanie.
    Oh right...back to topic...I know that marzocchi does have issues too but I don't hear as many complaints about seals and whatever. I probably should have specified about the technical problems with mantiou instead of just saying they break...otherwise I end up with a rant.

    Edit: And what's with manitou having their archs(right word?) in the rear of the fork, instead of the front.

  13. #13
    Ride bike or bike ride? Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah that's cool man, it's just I am starting to get sick of people making blanket statements which have been either blown out of proportion or are totally false. And sorry about the BBQ, you can come to my next one if you want, just I am not paying for your flight dowb to Adelaide

    Quote Originally Posted by gastro
    Get the RC. The damping in the VF is not nearly as good.

    And the air preload in the RC can be set so stiff it's essentially locked out, if you so desire.
    Yes here I agree, don't get the 66VF, get either a Z1FR 1or2 or go all out and get the 66RC.
    --------------------------------------------------------o__ ----
    ------------------------_-------_---|-\---------_---- _.>/ _ --------------
    _______________________| - \________(_)_\(_)_______\|/_______\|/______...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Hoods
    Aint it amazing how courageous human beings are?

  14. #14
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Hopper] Out of interest what frame are you running, is it designed to take 170mm? As it is a HT and you are trying to make it more of an all round bike, I would look at around 150ishmm of travel.QUOTE]

    I have a 2003 Medium Norco Sasquatch. I dont really care if adding 2 more inches of travel throws my gepmetry off a little. All I want is a super strong, super stiff, Marzocchi fork. Ive benn considering the Super T, the 66 series and any of the Z1 freeride series. I Just need to learn about which ones have the best adjustability and can get really stiff.

  15. #15
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not the geometry, its the strength of the headtube. It was only built for 5inches. That headtube could end up ripping off, assuming you will be using the fork the way it was made to be used.

  16. #16
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will be strong enough because all of the of the Norco Shore Hardtails angles and geometry are the same, and the higher end hardtails have had 66's and Jr.Ts. So im sure my frame will do fine.

  17. #17
    Ankles Suck! norcodirtjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Stinky
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the 2004 Z150 the same as the 2005 Z1 Fr 1 and 2 (adjustibiltiy and compression wise)

  18. #18
    My life be like ooh aah anthonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper
    Oh no Manitou's brake......... Don't say hting like that, I have personally seen many more broken Marzocchi's that Manitou's. I have seen cracked crowns on boxxers, I have seen cracked arches on many a Marzocchi including 888's I have seen punctured lowers one 888's, I have seen cracked crowns on Dorado's, I have seen cracked arches on Shermans. Do you want to know what is scary, I have seen a cracked Fox 40 All of this is with my own eyes in person.

    Every fork has had problems, you can't make general statements like that..... Manitou's break omgwtfbbq1111!!!shift+one!!!1111 I have heard so many dodgy blanket statements which Ihave not seen backed up,
    1)Marzocchi's are invincible...... 03 DJ series and first run 888's (stupid bubbles in lowers)
    2) Manitou's break....... yes they do break...... but so do all forks
    3)Intense M1's crack at the headtube... I have only seen a couple of M1's that have had problems, none at the headtube, all cracked chainstays, but these were bikes that had been raced for years
    there are so many dodgey statements made in this industry, and you need to realise that most of them are not actually correct.

    I personally would feel very safe on any Manitou fork used for it's Intended Purpose except for the stance...... they feel like **** and there do seem to be more cases of them having problems. Also you may say that Manitou are crap cos they have made a couple of recalls, guess what that makes me feel safer, that way I know they believe what is out is safe.

    Oh yeah, Marzocchi's are bombproof and invincible....... I have seen an SSVF cart that had eaten itself.

    The main reason blanket statements come out are because you get little hardcore's riding something not being used for it's intended use then complaining taht teh EXR comp is teh crap cos it snapped wen i did my l337 Supa Hux0r 2 flat.

    Sorry for the rant but just wanted to get it off my chest
    Nice rant hopper, saves me having to do it eventually. Ill just link to this
    Any true downhiller can huck, but no hucker can truly downhill - Ryan N.

    Mtbworld - http://mtbworld.mybesthost.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •