Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got this k mart bike a week ago Schwinn S-40 230$

    i just pulled the ****ing back brakes off with one finger...... how the hell can they sale these things without brakes, these bikes are not even close to safe and can get someone killed.!!!

    ill try and take it back but if they are just going to give me store credit then im not going to take it.


  2. #2
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlux
    i just got this k mart bike a week ago Schwinn S-40 230$

    i just pulled the ****ing back brakes off with one finger...... how the hell can they sale these things without brakes, these bikes are not even close to safe and can get someone killed.!!!

    ill try and take it back but if they are just going to give me store credit then im not going to take it.

    That's what you get for buying an X-Mart bike. No sympathy for you whatsoever.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=lowlux]i just got this k mart bike a week ago Schwinn S-40 230$
    ...... how the hell can they sale these things without brakes, these bikes are not even close to safe and can get someone killed.!!!


    Some guy making $6.50/hour spent half an hour putting your bike together. I'm actually surprised it lasted a week!
    Glad to hear that you discovered the problem yourself rather than wiping out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah right into a car........ or the car into me *.*

  5. #5
    Senior Member slagjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Down on East End Avenue.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they got paid $3/ per bike for assembly. I'd go over the whole bike.

  6. #6
    jc1
    jc1 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a sad thing. I have always boughten mine and my kids bikes at bike stores. Not for any particular reason, I just never thought of going to a big store for a bike. Since checking in on this site though I have really started to understand how crappy those big store bikes can be.

    Sadley while walking out of Target one day I saw this elderly woman sitting and gleaming at the two brand new "mountain bikes" her and her husband had just purchased as the husband pulled the car around to load them up. These people appeared to have $$ but just didn't know any better. Hopefully they never ride them and just hang them off the back of their motor home for decoration. All I could do was imagine all the pain they will have trying to keep those things working well enough for them to enjoy and hope that nothing serious ever fails when the elderly couple are out on a ride together one day.

    Then just the other day at Toys-R-Us. I saw a dad struggeling to load up 2 brand new, dual suspension mountain bikes into his BWM X5. Again all I could think was that I hoped the guy had a set of tools at home. Once he got all packaging off the damn things, he was sure to have to spend some time fixing them. I doubt they even survived the ride home, stacked on their sides in the back of his SUV.


    Anyway

  7. #7
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slagjumper
    I thought they got paid $3/ per bike for assembly. I'd go over the whole bike.
    I'd go over the whole bike as well...with a steamroller!
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member G4teamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Whittier, Ca
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Robaix Elite
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think the brakes worked great! They stopped him from riding that bike again. Take it back and slap that same amount down on a safe/real bike from your lbs. Ride your new bike and make the rest of the payments. Good luck. We all make these mistakes at one time or another, how do you think we know everything

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is a lbs?

  10. #10
    Senior Member G4teamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Whittier, Ca
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Robaix Elite
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local Bike Shop. Specialized Hardrock...350 bucks. Upgrade to better components if you get more serious into riding. Just a suggestion. Peace.

  11. #11
    Telecommunication Tweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Payne, AL
    My Bikes
    Used to ride Trek rigid and hardtails, soon to have something new.
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlux
    what is a lbs?
    local bike shop

  12. #12
    I Am Online Now! G-Unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista, LeMond Poprad, Specialized Allez
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at Target and overheard a salesman telling a customer that a crappy 1/2" thick cable lock was enough to protect his brand new $100 bike.
    I rock peas on my head but donít call me a pea head.
    Bees on my head but donít call me a bee head.
    Bruce Leeís on my head but donít call me a Lee head.
    Now please excuse me, I gots to get my tree fed.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you got to be kidding me....... i got the biggest chain i could find and the biggest luck too... :/

  14. #14
    Senior Member drumbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Moots CX, Redline CX
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Unit
    I was at Target and overheard a salesman telling a customer that a crappy 1/2" thick cable lock was enough to protect his brand new $100 bike.
    Well, actually, it is. No one in their right mind would want to take that POS....

  15. #15
    ...about your childhood Your Therapist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlux
    i just got this k mart bike a week ago Schwinn S-40 230$

    i just pulled the ****ing back brakes off with one finger...... how the hell can they sale these things without brakes, these bikes are not even close to safe and can get someone killed.!!!

    ill try and take it back but if they are just going to give me store credit then im not going to take it.

    We need to talk ...NOW! In my office young man.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess the debate we were having earlier just ended

  17. #17
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope we have all learned something today class. can you say local bike shop.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  18. #18
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets just save this puppy for future reference, to reply to someone's "tHiNkInG oF bUyInG a HeLlAsWeEt MaGnA mOuNtAn BiKe LOLs!111111111111ONE"

    Lesson learned

  19. #19
    Senior Member chis51hd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Davao City, Philippines
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just glad he didn't have to find out the VERY PAINFUL way.

    Just imagine, here in our country department stores also sell crappy bikes. In this one store I saw bikes with a sign, "Dual-suspension bike on sale, P6,000 only!!!". That's about 110 US dollars to you guys! And the sick thing is, people who don't know better actually BUY these things! I looked closer at one bike, and the rear shock didn't even have brand markings on it, it was just all black... Scary...
    Ang sarap talagang magbisikleta!!!

    ____________________________
    Merida Matts Champion LX Disc (non-stock components)

  20. #20
    Senior Member drumbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Moots CX, Redline CX
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every kid on the street here aged 3-18 has a full suspension bike from xmart...crazy...I guess they are happy because it looks cool, and it's not like they ride with helmets anyway, so their loss...

  21. #21
    la vache fantŰme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats the main reason people go with those "dual suspension" things, the look. But its just a spring, no dampening. Its hard to convince people i am not crazy when I tell them I spent over 500 on my bike.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  22. #22
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    thats the main reason people go with those "dual suspension" things, the look. But its just a spring, no dampening. Its hard to convince people i am not crazy when I tell them I spent over 500 on my bike.

    Try explaining spending over $4,000.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  23. #23
    Senior Member drumbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Moots CX, Redline CX
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thats what I was about to say...its hard to convince people I can eat out for the next 3 months because I just bought a $3000 bike.

  24. #24
    Senior Member CranxOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    OC, California
    My Bikes
    '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
    Try explaining spending over $4,000.
    Imagine the looks at $5k+! My family has a hard time comprehending my bike obsession; fortunately, my wife gets it...or at least tolerates it.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

  25. #25
    Painfully Scottish jmcclain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mechanicsburg Pa
    My Bikes
    GF Marlin, Trek 4300
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have every paid cash for a car, and financed a bicycle you might be a............ well adjusted outdoor enthusiast?
    "I hope someday I can become the person my dog thinks I am"

    "I don't smiw in the ocean, everytime I jump in my status on the food chain drops a notch" - me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •