Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I'm Afraid

  1. #1
    Bicycle Rider & Mechanic Trekbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm Afraid

    I'm afraid to go back to my clipless pedals. My only problem was I rode through a lot of mud and I could never clip out and one time I fell down a cliff. Thats Right I fell down a 25 ft cliff with rocks at the bottom. It hurt. My shimano 505's were clogged up with mud and ever since then I've been using Primo super tenderizers. So my birthday's coming and I was wondering if there was a really good platform/clipless pedal. I saw one made by crank bros, think it was called the mallet c if I get this pedal will I be able to use the cleats that it uses with my shoes that fit shimano cleats? I like the pedals and the option to go clipless when I want. Thanks



    John

  2. #2
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekbikedude
    My shimano 505's were clogged up with mud
    No surprise there Shi*No is infamous for mud clogged pedals
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekbikedude
    I saw one made by crank bros, think it was called the mallet c if I get this pedal will I be able to use the cleats that it uses with my shoes that fit shimano cleats?
    Yes they're compatible with SPD shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekbikedude
    I like the pedals and the option to go clipless when I want. Thanks
    You have entirely the wrong idea about those pedals. They are NOT able to be ridden without proper cycling shoes as the cross bars can be felt through regular shoes. There are pedals made by Shi*No and Wellgo (basically a Shi*No knockoff) that have a platform on one side and a retention system on the flip side however those can be a pain in the rear due to having to make sure what side you're on when you have to dab a foot. To the

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Crank Bros. pedals work much better than SPDs when caked with mud.

  4. #4
    Hazardous biker Ricardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    My Bikes
    2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use wellgo pedals and mud hasnt been an issue really. Just adjust the retention force with the screws et voila.

    Ricardo

  5. #5
    is slower than you Peek the Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekbikedude
    I'm afraid to go back to my clipless pedals. My only problem was I rode through a lot of mud and I could never clip out and one time I fell down a cliff. Thats Right I fell down a 25 ft cliff with rocks at the bottom. It hurt. My shimano 505's were clogged up with mud and ever since then I've been using Primo super tenderizers. So my birthday's coming and I was wondering if there was a really good platform/clipless pedal. I saw one made by crank bros, think it was called the mallet c if I get this pedal will I be able to use the cleats that it uses with my shoes that fit shimano cleats? I like the pedals and the option to go clipless when I want. Thanks



    John
    John, I was in your shoes at one time. On my first trip to a downhill mtb park I was using Shimano SPD pedals, and they were forever getting clogged with dirt and mud. Clipping in and clipping out were next to impossible at times, and I suffered many a hard fall because of it. When I got back home I immediately ordered a pair of Crank Bros pedals.

    Now, even in muddy conditions I can clip in easily and clip out in a hurry to put a leg down during a fall. Pick up some better pedals and your fear of clipless will quickly go away.
    Proud supporter of the Chippewa Off-Road Bike Association (CORBA)
    www.chippewaoffroad.org


  6. #6
    ODB to those that know me outdoorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tasajara (undergoing a total rebuild), Giant NRS, Giant OCR C3
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to disagree with Raiyn a bit here. I use the mallet c's on my bike. The other day I needed to ride my bike to the auto shop to pick up my car. I jumped on it with my teva's on and rode the three miles with no discomfort. I am also known to unclip on a particularly hairy part of trail and ride unclipped for short portions. That said I wouldn't go on a 10 or 20 mile ride with out my bike shoes on and clipped in 99% off the time but as long as you have a stiff or thick sole shoe you can do short runs with no problem. I used to have spd's and never really liked them, these have been great. I do a lot of adventure races with hike a bike sections so I know what you mean about getting clogged up and it hasn't been a problem with these.
    Last edited by outdoorboy; 08-17-05 at 10:04 AM.
    Visit ArkansasOutside.com. Lets go play outside in the Natural State!

  7. #7
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorboy
    I I jumped on it with my teva's on and rode the three miles with no discomfort. I am also known to unclip on a particularly hairy part of trail and ride unclipped for short portions. That said I wouldn't go on a 10 or 20 mile ride with out my bike shoes on and clipped in 99% off the time but as long as you have a stiff or thick sole shoe you can do short runs with no problem. .
    We don't entirely disagree. What you did wasn't the best of ideas due to the lack of grip on the crossbars. As I read it he was intending on riding without cycling shoes in some instances and just using them as regular platforms with regular shoes not riding brief sections unclipped with cycling shoes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member iamthetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    colonial heights Va
    My Bikes
    Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version
    Posts
    1,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 words: Time ATAC! your mud problems will be over. your need to adjust you cleat to center with the pedal will be over. they make them from hardly a platform to the Z platform. Alium S can be found for under $60 online now and they go up in price from there but you get the same bombproof performance no matter whether you spend $60 or $260 on ATACS. you just install the pedals, easy, and the cleats install just as easy and there is no lateral adjustmet needed. no matter what you run or ride thru they will let you get in or out easily. I used to use the tenderisers and prefer the ATAC system better. get ATACs ad the oly problem you will have is getting out of your head the fear of crashing again and being stuck
    for the creation was subjected to futility,not willingly , but because of Him who subjected it in hope...that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Romans 8:20-29
    the truth may not always be popular but its always true
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzer3fnu/p...pcomingevents/

  9. #9
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthetas
    2 words: Time ATAC! your mud problems will be over. your need to adjust you cleat to center with the pedal will be over. they make them from hardly a platform to the Z platform. Alium S can be found for under $60 online now and they go up in price from there but you get the same bombproof performance no matter whether you spend $60 or $260 on ATACS. you just install the pedals, easy, and the cleats install just as easy and there is no lateral adjustment needed. no matter what you run or ride thru they will let you get in or out easily. I used to use the tenderizers and prefer the ATAC system better. get ATACs ad the holy problem you will have is getting out of your head the fear of crashing again and being stuck
    Have to agree there. I have a set of the Time ATAC Control Z's and I'm completely sold on them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •