Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sizing please help

    Hey Guys,
    I am looking into ordering a motobecane off the internet and am a little wary of what size to order. I am 6ft tall with a 32 inch inseem 33 inches in my shoes. The 18 inch frame has a 28.5 inch standover and the 20 inch frame has a 30.5 inch standover. If you guys can give me any advice a i would really appreciate it.Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Callaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    FoCo, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Ridley Helium, 83/84 Shogun 600, ~85 Peugeot (PGN 10?), Masi Vincere Premio, Miyata 600GT
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure that most people will suggest that you don't order the bike on-line. But if you are set on it, I would say that it will be close. I have similar measurements and I found 18" to be too small, rideable, just not what I would prefer. I saw another guy who was 5'10" that thought 17" was as big as he could go. So, if at all possible I would say go into an LBS and at least see what fits best. Maybe when you are there you will decide to support them.
    '83/'85 Shoguns, Ridley Helium, Miyata 600 GT, '85 Peugeot PGN 10, Masi, Giant TCR Advanced (sold), Nishiki Prestige (stolen), Stumpjumper HT (sold) and Trek 830 Mtn XC (traded)

  3. #3
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,959
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After recently working on a new Motobecane roadbike, I don't think I would let anyone I love ride one. But that aside, at 6' you would more than likely be on a 19". I am just a bit over 6' with somewhere around a 34.5 inseam, and ride a 19" in most brands with a lot of seatpost showing. I can ride an 18", but not very comfortably.
    commuter turned bike mechanic turned commuter (also a Velocity USA employee, but this is my personal account)

  4. #4
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    After recently working on a new Motobecane roadbike, I don't think I would let anyone I love ride one. But that aside, at 6' you would more than likely be on a 19". I am just a bit over 6' with somewhere around a 34.5 inseam, and ride a 19" in most brands with a lot of seatpost showing. I can ride an 18", but not very comfortably.
    Including your P1?

    I'm about 6'2 and ride a 15.5 inch Cowan which feels right to me, because before mtbing I was a bmx'r.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  5. #5
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,959
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaRider24
    Including your P1?

    I'm about 6'2 and ride a 15.5 inch Cowan which feels right to me, because before mtbing I was a bmx'r.

    Since it sounds like he is buying an XC bike, I don't think he's interested in hearing about my 14" P.1
    commuter turned bike mechanic turned commuter (also a Velocity USA employee, but this is my personal account)

  6. #6
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Since it sounds like he is buying an XC bike, I don't think he's interested in hearing about my 14" P.1
    Just wandering.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •