Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I've nearly gotten the money for a new wheelset now and I'm fairly set on buying the following:
    Sun Double Track rims laced to a Shimano Deore Disc hub with DT spokes, 170 euros shipped to my house from Germany. I'm fairly sure it's perfectly compatible with my Hardrock as it's regular QR, the only thing I'm wondering is if I can keep the tires because the rims are so wide? Sorry for the dumb question but I've never really run heavy duty rims on any bike yet and I don't really know about any compatibility issues.

    Cheers
    -DC

    PS: I'm hoping to, if I get the money by the middle of this week, have the new wheelset and the front disc brake mounted in next week's first half.
    PPS: There are also 3 other wheelsets in my pricerange on the site: Deore Disc/XM317/DT , Deore Disc/XM321/DT, Deore Disc/Excalibur DH/DT.
    Last edited by Drunken Chicken; 09-13-05 at 02:20 AM.
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  2. #2
    UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH MasterSezFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Amongst the hills in So.Cal.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size tires are you running? I would not go smaller then a 2.3 on the double tracks. Did you consider the Single Tracks? You can fit tires from 2.0 to 2.5 on them with out any problems and they seem to hold up better then the DBL tracks.


  3. #3
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSezFaster
    What size tires are you running? I would not go smaller then a 2.3 on the double tracks. Did you consider the Single Tracks? You can fit tires from 2.0 to 2.5 on them with out any problems and they seem to hold up better then the DBL tracks.

    2.3s? Hmm, I think my fork and frame has clearance for up to 2.35s, not sure though. They hold up better than the Double Tracks? I don't have the choice of Single Track, only Double Track. What happens if I go 2.2 on the DBL Tracks?

    Thanks!

    PS: Any comments on the other wheelsets listed at the bottom of my first post?
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  4. #4
    UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH MasterSezFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Amongst the hills in So.Cal.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wheel is only as good as it's build. With that said ;

    The 317's are nice. If they are built right they can handle a lot of hard hits but are still light enough for xc racing if you wanted to do that. They are sold as a XC rim though.

    The 321's are also a very good rim but are on the wider side and I would not put anything under a 2.3 on them.

    I have both of the above rims still laced up and still in use.

    As far as the Excaliburs, I have not used them, nor do I know anyone using them so I will not comment on them.

    If you have tight tollerances for tires then you may want to get Maxxis tires. They run on the smaller side so a 2.5 is like a 2.3, a 2.3 is like a 2.25 and so forth.

    Are the wheels going to be comming "ready to ride" If it is I would still recomend checking the tension and true of each wheel before your first ride.



  5. #5
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSezFaster
    A wheel is only as good as it's build. With that said ;

    The 317's are nice. If they are built right they can handle a lot of hard hits but are still light enough for xc racing if you wanted to do that. They are sold as a XC rim though.

    The 321's are also a very good rim but are on the wider side and I would not put anything under a 2.3 on them.

    I have both of the above rims still laced up and still in use.

    As far as the Excaliburs, I have not used them, nor do I know anyone using them so I will not comment on them.

    If you have tight tollerances for tires then you may want to get Maxxis tires. They run on the smaller side so a 2.5 is like a 2.3, a 2.3 is like a 2.25 and so forth.

    Are the wheels going to be comming "ready to ride" If it is I would still recomend checking the tension and true of each wheel before your first ride.


    Thanks! So, if I bought a 2.35 Maxxis Mobster, for example, and, from what I've heard, the Hardrock has clearance for 2.35, then it should fit well? What problems would I face if I ran a 2.2 tire?
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  6. #6
    UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH MasterSezFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Amongst the hills in So.Cal.
    My Bikes
    Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Thanks! So, if I bought a 2.35 Maxxis Mobster, for example, and, from what I've heard, the Hardrock has clearance for 2.35, then it should fit well? What problems would I face if I ran a 2.2 tire?
    A 2.35 Maxxis should fit but you may have very little clearence on your bike. Seems I am the only one answering but mabe someone else with a Hardrock who uses a wider tire could answer the frame fit question better since I have not layed hands on one in four years. If you can find some one with a used or new tire that you could put on the rim to check would be the best way to tell.

    A smaller tire would fit on the rim but its profile would not be correct. It would flatten out the profile rather then having a round one. Ever saw those cars with rims that are way to big for the tires? It gives you a lot of rim to look at but the performance suffers and they wear incorrectly (and I personally find it nasty looking).



  7. #7
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSezFaster
    A 2.35 Maxxis should fit but you may have very little clearence on your bike. Seems I am the only one answering but mabe someone else with a Hardrock who uses a wider tire could answer the frame fit question better since I have not layed hands on one in four years. If you can find some one with a used or new tire that you could put on the rim to check would be the best way to tell.

    A smaller tire would fit on the rim but its profile would not be correct. It would flatten out the profile rather then having a round one. Ever saw those cars with rims that are way to big for the tires? It gives you a lot of rim to look at but the performance suffers and they wear incorrectly (and I personally find it nasty looking).


    Right, I get it. As for not having much clearance, does it really matter? Because I don't really ride in muddy conditions much and a Double Track rim should not become untrue very easily, right? (after all, my stock Hardrock ones are still going strong, hardly need truing).

    As for the 2.35" Maxxis, I'm fairly sure the guys at the LBS can lend me one to just put on for a few minutes.
    Thanks a lot for the help!
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •