Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ahhh, which way is down?
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Couple Questions before I take the plunge:

    First, I have read throught the FAQ and although very infomative it didn't really answer my questions.
    I'm re-entering the sport after a 14yr break so I'm not a complete newbie. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get back into it rather quickly so I don't want to start with a $500 beginner bike to just replace it in a couple months.

    Anyway...

    I'm so close to ordering an '06 Rockhopper Pro Disc but before I do I want to make sure I explore all options. I've test ridden the Gary Fisher Tess., Fuji (didn't pay attention 'cause if didn't feel right) and Giant Rainier. Are there any other bikes in the $1100 MSRP range that I should check out before taking the plunge?
    Quote Originally Posted by HST
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

  2. #2
    Too Much Crazy C Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NY
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Comandante, Lynskey ridgeline, EWR OWB, GF HKEK, Gunnar Roadie, Spesh E5 S Works, Quintana Roo Kilo, Intense BMX Cruiser
    Posts
    3,337
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you looking at hardtails only?

  3. #3
    Ahhh, which way is down?
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not limiting myself to hardtails. Just seems that for my price point I can get a higher end hardtail or a low end FS.
    Quote Originally Posted by HST
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Callaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    FoCo, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Ridley Helium, 83/84 Shogun 600, ~85 Peugeot (PGN 10?), Masi Vincere Premio, Miyata 600GT
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider looking for an '05 closeout stumpjumper. I am getting mine for less than $1K. It has a better fork than the rockhopper pro disc and a better frame. You can get the stumpjumper with discs, or add the exact same brakes that would come on them (Avid BB7s) for relatively cheap (and cheaper than the difference in price.
    Good Luck
    '83/'85 Shoguns, Ridley Helium, Miyata 600 GT, '85 Peugeot PGN 10, Masi, Giant TCR Advanced (sold), Nishiki Prestige (stolen), Stumpjumper HT (sold) and Trek 830 Mtn XC (traded)

  5. #5
    Ahhh, which way is down?
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callaway
    I would consider looking for an '05 closeout stumpjumper. I am getting mine for less than $1K. It has a better fork than the rockhopper pro disc and a better frame. You can get the stumpjumper with discs, or add the exact same brakes that would come on them (Avid BB7s) for relatively cheap (and cheaper than the difference in price.
    Good Luck
    Yeah, I looked at those but my LBS isn't letting them go for less than $1100 and I'm not paying MSRP for the rockhopper so the price differences comes to over $300.
    Quote Originally Posted by HST
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but it caught my attention because it's nearly my exact scenario...The difference being, I'm looking at an '06 RH Comp w/ disc vs. the '06 RH Pro w/ disc.

    Nefarious, it sounds like you are getting the '06 Pro for around $800 +/- (the Comp w/ disc I'm looking at is $859). Is that price on the '06 Pro due to a trade in (do they do that for bikes ),a "friend in the biz" or some other situational discount? Or is that price due to super negotiating skills? I ask, due to the fact that I am certain there is a mark-up on these, and I would obviously rather not pay MSRP, but I don't want to insult the people I would like to work on my bike by low-balling them...

    thx!

  7. #7
    we're all human
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    um im droppin 900 with tax included for a 05 stumpjumper tomorrow, no discs but im uprgrading for juicy 7's after a few rides for 300 so i suggest yellowpages and find a store with ur bike. I know its a sin but if you have a supergo in your area call them up, there are 3 within 10 miles of me and all are listing there 05 stumpjumpers for 1000-1050 and prices are always negotiable.

  8. #8
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nbgrom
    ur I know its a sin
    Not as big a one as using "ur" in the place of "your"
    Is it that damn hard to type two extra letters so as to not look like a 12 year old AOL using moron?

    So unless you're talking about the ancient city of Ur I don't want to see that lazy garbage here again.

  9. #9
    Ahhh, which way is down?
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but it caught my attention because it's nearly my exact scenario...The difference being, I'm looking at an '06 RH Comp w/ disc vs. the '06 RH Pro w/ disc.

    Nefarious, it sounds like you are getting the '06 Pro for around $800 +/- (the Comp w/ disc I'm looking at is $859). Is that price on the '06 Pro due to a trade in (do they do that for bikes ),a "friend in the biz" or some other situational discount? Or is that price due to super negotiating skills? I ask, due to the fact that I am certain there is a mark-up on these, and I would obviously rather not pay MSRP, but I don't want to insult the people I would like to work on my bike by low-balling them...

    thx!

    Friend of a friend type deal
    Quote Originally Posted by HST
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •