Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Mountainclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    05 rockhopper, 05 fsr xc
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Componenets (newb question)

    I need a guide to what are the best components. I have no idea what is good and what is bad.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mountainclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    05 rockhopper, 05 fsr xc
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are manitou good suspension?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mountainclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    05 rockhopper, 05 fsr xc
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it cheaper to build a bike from scratch

  4. #4
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,082
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainclimber
    are manitou good suspension?
    There's a reason I refer to them as Manipoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainclimber
    Is it cheaper to build a bike from scratch
    Nope. Even if you work at getting the best deals you MIGHT break even with a prebuilt

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mountainclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    05 rockhopper, 05 fsr xc
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Raiyn]There's a reason I refer to them as Manipoo

    Ok what is good then?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mountainclimber]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    There's a reason I refer to them as Manipoo

    Ok what is good then?
    Marzocchi, Fox, Rock Shox.
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're new to biking, and, as you say you are, unfamilar with what are good or bad components, then I would say do not even think about building a bike from scratch. There are so many things to think about, and like Raiyn says even if you shop for deals you won't match the price of a pre built.

    Check out advice given on this site for good starter bikes and then upgrade as you go along. Specialized seem to have a good rep among members, and it seems to me like a heck of a lot of people out there are riding hardrocks. Not my cup of tea, but they must be popular for a reason.

  8. #8
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,082
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jst0076
    If you're new to biking, and, as you say you are, unfamilar with what are good or bad components, then I would say do not even think about building a bike from scratch. There are so many things to think about, and like Raiyn says even if you shop for deals you won't match the price of a pre built.
    Agreed. He should also start reading magazines on the subject

  9. #9
    Senior Member Callaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    FoCo, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Ridley Helium, 83/84 Shogun 600, ~85 Peugeot (PGN 10?), Masi Vincere Premio, Miyata 600GT
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Marzocchi, Fox, Rock Shox.
    Keep in mind though that each of the companies listed in the quote have various grades. I would say that no Fox shock you will get would be low end, but you can definitely buy a low end Rock Shox suspension. So, after you narrow down what bike you want and are comparing components, you will have to research more than just the name.
    '83/'85 Shoguns, Ridley Helium, Miyata 600 GT, '85 Peugeot PGN 10, Masi, Giant TCR Advanced (sold), Nishiki Prestige (stolen), Stumpjumper HT (sold) and Trek 830 Mtn XC (traded)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •