Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-05, 02:30 PM   #1
cmfx_2
Crusty GrindCore
Thread Starter
 
cmfx_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: I'm between bikes at the moment, looking into a Claud Butler though
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to purchase one of the two.

My rear brake is extremely tight and unresponsive. Once I've pulled the lever back, the brake works it's just getting to that point often having to use at least 2 fingers with full force.

So anyways, my brakes are Avid mechanical BB's, I'm just wondering what you all recommend for a cable set. I'd prefer to go with a sealed setup. You think it's best to go with the Avid setup to maintain compatability with the cable set or will this make a difference?

I'm also wondering what difference in friction the two have - will one pull better than the other?
cmfx_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 06:17 AM   #2
Speedub.Nate
fanatik
 
Speedub.Nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheap, "generic" housing (QBP branded, made by Jagwire, <25 per foot), and stainless steel cable is all I ever use. "Sealed" in the sense that I run full length housing with drilled out cable stops.

Not that there is anything wrong with the Flak Jackets of the world, but they cost too much, and end up in the trash can just as quicly as the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff is easier to throw away when its time comes due.

In the end, it comes down to how much care is exercised during the installation. There's no excuse for the problem you're having with your rear mech, and you don't need to spend a lot of money to cure it.
Speedub.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 08:18 AM   #3
cmfx_2
Crusty GrindCore
Thread Starter
 
cmfx_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: I'm between bikes at the moment, looking into a Claud Butler though
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
In the end, it comes down to how much care is exercised during the installation. There's no excuse for the problem you're having with your rear mech, and you don't need to spend a lot of money to cure it.
There's no doubt that the installation was done properly. The rear mech was great until I rode my first muddy ride (in fact there was still some snow on the ground at the time). I have a feeling that the housing may just be clogged up with a lot of junk and perhaps it's easy enough to clean out.

However, I would prefer to go with the sealed system just to avoid having to clean and maintain the cable. Any opinions on this?
cmfx_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 07:10 PM   #4
Speedub.Nate
fanatik
 
Speedub.Nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfx_2
I would prefer to go with the sealed system just to avoid having to clean and maintain the cable. Any opinions on this?
Not really... Are you planning on a full length housing run? If not, you're leaving pleanty of opportunity for grit to enter your housing, sealed or not.

Also, you can purchase (separately) sealed ferrules that install on the ends of normal, plain-jane 5mm housing. A quick Google search for "sealed ferrules" turns up lots of results.
Speedub.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 01:19 AM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfx_2
I'm about to purchase one of the two.

My rear brake is extremely tight and unresponsive. Once I've pulled the lever back, the brake works it's just getting to that point often having to use at least 2 fingers with full force.

So anyways, my brakes are Avid mechanical BB's, I'm just wondering what you all recommend for a cable set. I'd prefer to go with a sealed setup. You think it's best to go with the Avid setup to maintain compatability with the cable set or will this make a difference?
I'm currently running a set of Gore Ride-On cables (predecessor to the Dry Cables and virtually identical) I can honestly say that they're the best cables I've run with my Avid mechs. I'd certainly advocate purchasing the Dry cables (and have several times)
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.