Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-05, 09:33 PM   #1
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think of this bike for the $$$?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-DUA...QQcmdZViewItem
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 01:01 AM   #2
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm serious! Opinions?
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 01:16 AM   #3
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's garbage. Why do you insist on buying a bike online when it's painfully obvious you don't know what you're doing when it comes to MTB's?
Let's break it down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
The Motobecane 600DS has a 7005 Aluminum frame with 4 inch rear travel with double adjustable RST rear Shock.
RST is synonymous with CHEAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
. The 2005 Motobecane 600DS has SHIMANO Alivio 24 Speed
Screaming low end. We're talking sub-Deore here. Who sells a "$950" bike with an eight speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
with SHIMANO ST-EF29 shifters (button type),
Crap on a stick. They slap these on COMFORT bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
RST CAPA TL fork 76mm (3 inch travel),
You're ****ing kidding me with this right? They can't even put a true 80mm on this thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
TEKTRO DISC BRAKES,
Might as well have given you a boat anchor for brakes. They're no better than a average set of V brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
Black Anodized ALEX ADVENTURER Aluminum Double Wall rims with Machined CNC Sidewalls, Stainless Spokes,
Super descriptive of a part that needs little description. Danger Will Robinson DANGER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
TRUVATIV Crank,
Notice they don't say which one
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
M-Wings sealed disc-hubs,
House brand. Can we say cheapola? Not something you'd find on a "$950" bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
M-Wings Aluminum Bar,
I'd sooner steer my bike with Kotex wings
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
Threadless Stem and Micro-adjust Seatpost,
Generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
WTB Velociraptor Blackwall tires,
You could do worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
WTB dual density grips,
What they're grips? Whoopie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
and all kinds of other high quality stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
ONE OF THE BEST SADDLES EVER PUT ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE - WTB SPEED V SADDLE!
Sure it is. For some. Way too much hype here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
this is a bike you can be proud of for years to come.
Provided you never ride it. In short it's a ****ing Trek Y-26 of a different maker. It's at best a $400 bike and as has been said a BILLION times or more here Decent FS bikes start at a Grand.

GET OFF THE eBAY!
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 10-08-05 at 12:31 AM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 01:28 AM   #4
[bEn]
Just Ride
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Bikes: 2005 Giant Yukon with the works.
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Raiyn has said it. Save up and get a decent one NOT off eBay.
[bEn] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 05:19 AM   #5
wildjim
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
What's wrong with a bicycle from Ebay?

The SPRTYMAMA BIKE SHOP is a fair and pleasant dealership.

The Motobecane 600DS is not worth $950 but it is a fair bicycle at a fair price.

I purchased a Motobecane Fantom Cross and it's identical to the Fuji Cross Comp for better or worse. It's a fine bicyle and I am very pleased with it.

Last edited by wildjim; 10-07-05 at 06:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 07:02 AM   #6
Benman
Roadie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Plano, TX
Bikes: Peugeot
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you'd probably be better off with a hardtail with a decent frame at that price.. it wouldn't suck so much..
Benman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 08:22 AM   #7
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjim
What's wrong with a bicycle from Ebay?
Well the original poster has stated previously that he is new to mountain bikes so he should go to a LBS and try a few bikes (to the OP: hardtails dammit, stop looking at FS bikes unless you want to spend more money!) to see what he likes (and what fits).

I'd buy a bike off of eBay if I was familiar with the frame/bike and had a chance to fit one locally or if I had all of the frame dimensions and they matched what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure none of this applies for the OP in regards to the bike above.

So to the OP, stop posting crappy bikes FS on here, save up your money, then go to a bike shop and try a bunch of quality hardtails in your price range and buy the one that you like the best!
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 08:43 AM   #8
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjim
The Motobecane 600DS is not worth $950 but it is a fair bicycle at a fair price.
Bull. For 400 i would much rather have a Hardrock Sport.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:00 AM   #9
wildjim
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP.
Bull. For 400 i would much rather have a Hardrock Sport.
Let's leave your mother out of it and keep the bicycle comparisons equal. Also leave me out of your commentary and personal preferences as my statement above is perfectly true.

Last edited by wildjim; 10-07-05 at 09:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:09 AM   #10
wildjim
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by never
Well the original poster has stated previously that he is new to mountain bikes so he should go to a LBS and try a few bikes (to the OP: hardtails dammit, stop looking at FS bikes unless you want to spend more money!) to see what he likes (and what fits).

I'd buy a bike off of eBay if I was familiar with the frame/bike and had a chance to fit one locally or if I had all of the frame dimensions and they matched what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure none of this applies for the OP in regards to the bike above.

So to the OP, stop posting crappy bikes FS on here, save up your money, then go to a bike shop and try a bunch of quality hardtails in your price range and buy the one that you like the best!
I don't see any statement about being new to mountain biking, so I'll assume he knows what "he" wants and what size bicycle fits him.

Simply the point is that there is nothing wrong with ebay purchases if you know what you want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:35 AM   #11
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjim
I don't see any statement about being new to mountain biking, so I'll assume he knows what "he" wants and what size bicycle fits him.

Simply the point is that there is nothing wrong with ebay purchases if you know what you want.
I agree with your second point...if you know what you want. I am familiar with some of the OP's other posts and he has indicated that he is new to MTB. And if you are new to the sport, I don't think anyone would recommend an eBay purchase without having ridden the model at a local shop.
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:44 AM   #12
wildjim
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by never
I agree with your second point...if you know what you want. I am familiar with some of the OP's other posts and he has indicated that he is new to MTB. And if you are new to the sport, I don't think anyone would recommend an eBay purchase without having ridden the model at a local shop.
Well we all wish to steer him right, so if it were my choice I would look at, read about and ride every bicycle of interest. Make a decision, then find the lowest price; while considering my needs for service and repair.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:55 AM   #13
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjim
I don't see any statement about being new to mountain biking, so I'll assume he knows what "he" wants and what size bicycle fits him.

Simply the point is that there is nothing wrong with ebay purchases if you know what you want.
He has said in earlier threads that he is new to mtnbikes.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 10:02 AM   #14
harov3
Dismember
 
harov3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Australia
Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its a POS dont buy it. Get thee to a bike shop before you do yourself an injury.
harov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 10:24 AM   #15
btadlock
Colorado Trail Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
It's garbage. Why do you insist on buying a bike online when it's painfully obvious you don't know what you're doing when it comes to MTB's?
Let's break it down:

RST is synonymous with CHEAPScreaming low end. We're talking sub-Deore here. Who sells a "$950" bike with an eight speed?Crap on a stick. They stick these on COMFORT bikesYou're ****ing kidding me with this right? The can't even put a true 80mm on this thing?Might as well have given you a boat anchor for brakes. They're no better than a average set of V brakesSuper descriptive of a part that needs little description. Danger Will Robinson DANGERNotice they don't say which oneHouse brand. Can we say cheapola? Not something you'd find on a "$950" bikeI'd sooner steer my bike with Kotex wingsGenericYou could do worseWhat they're grips? Whoopie!Sure it is. For some. Way too much hype hereProvided you never ride it. In short it's a ****ing Trek Y-26 of a different maker. It's at best a $400 bike and as has been said a BILLION times or more here Decent FS bikes start at a Grand.

GET OFF THE eBAY!

Nice work Raiyn.
For those playing along at home, note that Raiyn took the time to provide comments for entire bike, he put some time in responding the question, "is this a good bike?", which is what the caller had requested.
Several of the attached responses fall way off the original topic.
btadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 11:13 AM   #16
scr1be
ninja
 
scr1be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I'd sooner steer my bike with Kotex wings"

that made me laugh.

out loud.
scr1be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 04:34 PM   #17
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjim
Let's leave your mother out of it and keep the bicycle comparisons equal. Also leave me out of your commentary and personal preferences as my statement above is perfectly true.
I was just stating that I would rather have a lower end bike shop bike (hardtail) than a piece of crap fs wally world bike.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 04:46 PM   #18
the wonginator
Shreddin' heaven on his 20"
 
the wonginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: markham, ontario, canada aka chinatown north
Bikes:
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would never pay 950 for that piece of ****.
the wonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 12:35 AM   #19
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btadlock
Nice work Raiyn.
For those playing along at home, note that Raiyn took the time to provide comments for entire bike, he put some time in responding the question, "is this a good bike?", which is what the caller had requested.
Several of the attached responses fall way off the original topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1be
"I'd sooner steer my bike with Kotex wings"

that made me laugh.

out loud.
It served it's purpose then
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.