Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Body Protection

  1. #1
    Senior Member Al K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Body Protection

    Hi MTBers,

    I got some unconventional body protection yesterday: a Bell BMX helmet; MSR MX RG2 motor cross pants; and MSR MX Revolver gloves. These provide much better protection than road clothes and helmet I'd been wearing. BMX helmet and MX pants will likely be too hot in weather above 70F, but yesterday they were comfortable on a hard 10-mile trail ride in 60F weather.

    I got the motor cross pants and gloves instead of mtb body armour because LBS's don't stock body armour, and I want to try on for fit before buying. Local motor cross shop has lots of MX clothing.

    Do any of you use motor cross clothing for MTBing?

    What body protection do you use?
    Al K - 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0

  2. #2
    Local Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a fullface 661 comp or somthin I forgot the name, SP1 pressure suit, cedric gracia carbon knuckle gloves, roach shinies, and 661 bomber shorts, and oakley o frames....oh and to protect my self from falling constantly I ride a bike too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al K: By Bell BMX helmet do you mean the skate lid or the fullface Bell Bellistic?

    I wear a fullface helmet, Dainese shin guards and elbow guards (I've had two friends break their arms on one of the trails already, I'm not taking any risks ). That's pretty much it. Then when I'm doing bushy or dusty trails I wear goggles.
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  4. #4
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netti AXN graphic full face, Kona Shinguards, O'Neal Elbow guards, Fox Roost R3 Chest deflector. They're all really nice.

    By the way Drunken Chicken: You just had to get Dainese didn't you? good stuff.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan
    By the way Drunken Chicken: You just had to get Dainese didn't you? good stuff.
    Haha! So true, after wearing my Fox North Shore shinguards, which I despised (uncomfortable, made me sweat and itched like hell) and then trying on my friend's Dainese ones I knew I had to get them. Seriously though, they're the best shinguards I've ever tried (I've tried quite a few, including Fox, Troy Lee Designs and some other ones). They also look really nice, and now that I've switched to a much smaller bag for riding, shinguards don't fit in it so therefore I simply wear them throughout the whole ride (they're so comfortable I don't notice I have them on).
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i want to go at it hard i wear my sixsixone pressure suit i have for riding quads and dirt bikes. and a full face dirt bike helmet. im pretty safe, but not invinsible, crashing still hurts when you get nailed in the cukoos with the handle bars

  7. #7
    Senior Member Al K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Al K: By Bell BMX helmet do you mean the skate lid or the fullface Bell Bellistic?

    I wear a fullface helmet, Dainese shin guards and elbow guards (I've had two friends break their arms on one of the trails already, I'm not taking any risks ). That's pretty much it. Then when I'm doing bushy or dusty trails I wear goggles.
    DC,

    Skate lid.
    Goggles on dusty trails good idea.
    Al K - 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0

  8. #8
    Commited Suicide WannaGetGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Abbotsford.BC
    My Bikes
    2001 Kona Stuff & 2004 Rocky Mountain Switch SL
    Posts
    2,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    661



    Giro


    Uvex


    My Friend here want some of these helmets.

  9. #9
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Al K: By Bell BMX helmet do you mean the skate lid or the fullface Bell Bellistic?

    I wear a fullface helmet, Dainese shin guards and elbow guards (I've had two friends break their arms on one of the trails already, I'm not taking any risks ). That's pretty much it. Then when I'm doing bushy or dusty trails I wear goggles.
    Drunken Chicken,

    Do you have pics of the Dainese shin and elbow guards? The only shin guards I've come across where knee/shin combos, is that what you have?

    As for elbow guards, this is what I've stubled across on the web:


    Is this what you have?
    First Class Jerk

  10. #10
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    Drunken Chicken,

    Do you have pics of the Dainese shin and elbow guards? The only shin guards I've come across where knee/shin combos, is that what you have?

    As for elbow guards, this is what I've stubled across on the web:


    Is this what you have?
    Yeah, those are the elbow guards that I have. As for my shinguards, yeah, they're the knee/shin combo, although I couldn't find the exact one on the Dainese site (probably 'cause mine are '04).

    They're very nice and comfortable and would choose them again if I was given a choice.

    EDIT: Found a pic on the web:
    http://www.1jyo.com/image/dainese/kneeplus04.jpg
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  11. #11
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Yeah, those are the elbow guards that I have. As for my shinguards, yeah, they're the knee/shin combo, although I couldn't find the exact one on the Dainese site (probably 'cause mine are '04).

    They're very nice and comfortable and would choose them again if I was given a choice.

    EDIT: Found a pic on the web:
    http://www.1jyo.com/image/dainese/kneeplus04.jpg
    What's that on the far left of the picture, are those the ankle protectors? Do you have those as well? If so, how are they?
    First Class Jerk

  12. #12
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    What's that on the far left of the picture, are those the ankle protectors? Do you have those as well? If so, how are they?
    I think they are ankle protectors, but I don't have them so I can't really tell you anything about them.
    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •