Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help:cleaning and possibly polishing my frame

    I have taken everything off the frame and i want to make it nice and clean for the new parts. What should i use to clean it first, and is it safe to use any type of aluminum polish to try and get back the original look.

    Its the same finish as this zaskar on ebay:


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...859646300#DESC
    1996 GT Zaskar LE

  2. #2
    Senior Member Monkey Spud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fortuna, CA
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by xxdrubloodxx
    I have taken everything off the frame and i want to make it nice and clean for the new parts. What should i use to clean it first, and is it safe to use any type of aluminum polish to try and get back the original look.

    Its the same finish as this zaskar on ebay:
    Well, clean it with soap and water, real good. Use a good alum polish (I use mothers for my Drag Lite Wheels on my car). once your done with that.. follow it up with stickers (if needed) and a good coat of carnuba wax. (boat wax lasts longest). Your bike will shine nicely and the wax will help keep the dirt off (or at least make it easier to wash).
    www.foulwords.com

    For the best taste in bad language.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just asked a guy at my LBS, and he said that my bike has a clearcoat or something rather, and you cant use polish on it. For some reason i think hes wrong.
    1996 GT Zaskar LE

  4. #4
    Senior Member Monkey Spud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fortuna, CA
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by xxdrubloodxx
    I just asked a guy at my LBS, and he said that my bike has a clearcoat or something rather, and you cant use polish on it. For some reason i think hes wrong.
    Well if thats the case, soap and water, PAINT polish (clearcoat safe, automotive style), and then wax.

    Or to be quick (only do this if your stickers are under the clearcoat), use soap and water, and then WD40 to lube the frame and paint (makes cleaning easier. I do this on one bike each ride and wax it once a month).
    www.foulwords.com

    For the best taste in bad language.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Monkey Spud
    Your bike will shine nicely and the wax will help keep the dirt off (or at least make it easier to wash).
    The vegtable oil spray for frying, when sprayed onto the frame make it really easy too clean. No crud sticks too it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •