Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-05, 02:02 AM   #1
gromitz49948
so cal rider
Thread Starter
 
gromitz49948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: so cal
Bikes: '06 hardrock sport
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Light

Does anyone know a good light so that i can see the trails at night.I would like to get the cheapest one i can
gromitz49948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 09:54 AM   #2
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Find the "light selection guide" thread by searching the forums. The first post will have links and anything you need to know about lights explained. Click on the link to the chart that tells you about the different lights. Also click on the links to the photos of what the beams look like at night. Do some reading.

There are a lot of lights that will probably do what you want, you need to narrow down the choices with some decisions.

Start with a guess and see where that takes you.

How fast do I want to ride?
How long do I need it too run?
How much can I spend?
Look on the chart for a light.
Look at the beam photos.

Then ask more questions if you need to fine tune what you want. That will get you started.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 10:31 AM   #3
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely follow the above advice but you will not find a CHEAP light that adequately lights up the trails. From your other posts, the lights you mentioned where between $10 and $25, you won't find anything at that price. You'll likely have to spend AT LEAST $100 and that still won't get you a good light.
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 11:17 AM   #4
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Entry level trail lights start at around $120 for a Nightrider Evolution or a comparable Light and Motion.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 02:45 PM   #5
gromitz49948
so cal rider
Thread Starter
 
gromitz49948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: so cal
Bikes: '06 hardrock sport
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Find the "light selection guide" thread by searching the forums. The first post will have links and anything you need to know about lights explained. Click on the link to the chart that tells you about the different lights. Also click on the links to the photos of what the beams look like at night. Do some reading.

There are a lot of lights that will probably do what you want, you need to narrow down the choices with some decisions.

Start with a guess and see where that takes you.

How fast do I want to ride?
How long do I need it too run?
How much can I spend?
Look on the chart for a light.
Look at the beam photos.

Then ask more questions if you need to fine tune what you want. That will get you started.
Thank you, that helped alot but if you guys could help me narrow my choices down even more, that would be great.

1. NiteRider Trail Rat II Headlight $99.99http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14103&subcategory_ID=4320
2. ViewPoint™ EVO Pro Handlebar & Helmet Mount Light System 79.99http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19457&subcategory_ID=4320

3. Planet Bike Alias Sport 10W Headlight 89.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
4. CygoLite® Hi-Flux LED Emitter 109.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
5. NiteRider HeadTrip 6V 99.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
6. CygoLite Nitro XM Headlight 89.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
gromitz49948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 02:54 PM   #6
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you go to the commuter forum there is lots of discussion on lighting. One of the most informative threads I have read in ages. Give descriptions, comparisons and actual live usage. Take the information and run with it for the best decision

Light selection guide.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 07:00 PM   #7
PM7771
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Plymouth, MA
Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, DeVinci Podium
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know where you're coming from. With light approaching a grand, whats affordable?

I'm not ready to shell out the big bucks either, but hear that in the entry level market the Cateye HL-EL500 is quite good for about $50. It is rated 30 hrs on a set of 4 alkaline AA's - I'd use NiMH for the best economy. This is not even close to a good serious light, but I'm told it will give decent local illumination for riding on a dark night, smooth riding surface, at under 15mph

background lighting - that affects your eyes ability - and holes - rocks - roots - require better - brighter lighting, I'm only suggesting that this light is decent under ideal conditions

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=7&subCatId=2

Peter
PM7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 08:44 PM   #8
gromitz49948
so cal rider
Thread Starter
 
gromitz49948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: so cal
Bikes: '06 hardrock sport
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM7771
I know where you're coming from. With light approaching a grand, whats affordable?

I'm not ready to shell out the big bucks either, but hear that in the entry level market the Cateye HL-EL500 is quite good for about $50. It is rated 30 hrs on a set of 4 alkaline AA's - I'd use NiMH for the best economy. This is not even close to a good serious light, but I'm told it will give decent local illumination for riding on a dark night, smooth riding surface, at under 15mph

background lighting - that affects your eyes ability - and holes - rocks - roots - require better - brighter lighting, I'm only suggesting that this light is decent under ideal conditions

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=7&subCatId=2

Peter
I want to be able to see the whole trail and at least 10ft in front of me
gromitz49948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 10:52 PM   #9
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitz49948
Thank you, that helped alot but if you guys could help me narrow my choices down even more, that would be great.

1. NiteRider Trail Rat II Headlight $99.99http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14103&subcategory_ID=4320
2. ViewPoint™ EVO Pro Handlebar & Helmet Mount Light System 79.99http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19457&subcategory_ID=4320

3. Planet Bike Alias Sport 10W Headlight 89.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
4. CygoLite® Hi-Flux LED Emitter 109.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
5. NiteRider HeadTrip 6V 99.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
6. CygoLite Nitro XM Headlight 89.99
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320
You are in the right ballpark for sure. All those lights would be just good enough if you take it very easy. I know from first hand experience that the Nightrider lights and the Cygolight will have good quality. I have seen problems with the Performance Viewpoint. The Light & Motion 10 watt light is probably a little better than all these lights. I have no experience with the Planet bike light. Just Skip the HI Flux Emitter.

13 watts for $109. A high quality light, good pattern.. more watts would be better for off road.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=



You are in the $90 or $100 range, which is about what you need to spend. So I would go to $99 and get more run time and brighter lighting that will make riding easier. This light will go three hours on 20 watts and four on 15 watts. If I was in the market for a light I would buy this one. It is easy to upgrade this light to a total of 30 watts later on if you like. All you need to do is change a bulb. If you get hooked on off road riding at night you will probably want to upgrade to 30 watts someday, and this would be a very cheap way to do that.

Take a look

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1373

Do not use any lights like the Cateye HL-EL 500 or any of the self contained handlebar lights with 4 AA batteries for off road riding.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 11-24-05 at 11:07 PM.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.