Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-02, 08:00 AM   #1
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the best XC specialized in your opinion?

My LBS is hyping up specialized bikes to me. they look decent. What do you think is the best XC in their line?
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 09:34 AM   #2
CycleMON
Senior Member
 
CycleMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The StumpJumper!
A very good climber; a long top tube for a roomier cockpit; a lightweight frame; a race ready bike with good components. In my opinion, one of the best XC bikes for the money.

I know this 'cause I own one.
CycleMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 09:54 AM   #3
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by CycleMON
The StumpJumper!
A very good climber; a long top tube for a roomier cockpit; a lightweight frame; a race ready bike with good components. In my opinion, one of the best XC bikes for the money.

I know this 'cause I own one.
How much did you pay for it?
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 10:51 AM   #4
CycleMON
Senior Member
 
CycleMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They retail for about $1099. You can get one on sale from:
http://bikebarntexas.com/site/itemde...t=Price%20desc

My bike is a 2001 model.
CycleMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 11:00 AM   #5
Rotifer
WallaWalla!
 
Rotifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well heck man, if you want the best xc bikes Specialized has to offer ...
S-Works M5 HT
S-Works FSR
Buy them both, the perfect racing stable. Oh, and toss
this baby in for training. That is, if you have an extra $12,000.00 laying about.
__________________
Jeff
Rotifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 11:07 AM   #6
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I had a Specialized FSR Enduro Comp and loved it...what a bike. Saddly, I was not able to get to the mtns offened enough to enjoys its functionality. So, I sold it a few months ago and when back to road training from my front door.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 11:41 AM   #7
RacerX
Senior Member
 
RacerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Left Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best XC Specialized offers is the EPIC. The FSR is old and it shows. It rides ok but isn't as well engineered as it could be. There are better 4-bar XC bikes out there.
Best XC full sus?
1. Titus Racer X
2. Santa Cruz Blur

In comparison, I would give the FSR 2.5 stars and the Racer X 4.5 stars out of 5. Anyway, back to your question;
Specialized XC
1. Epic
2. S-Works FSR
3. Stumpjumper FSR XC
4. stumpjumper hardtail-but I am really unimpressed by this frame.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 11:59 AM   #8
The Toninator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Houston
Bikes:
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by CycleMON
They retail for about $1099. You can get one on sale from:
http://bikebarntexas.com/site/itemde...t=Price%20desc

My bike is a 2001 model.
I have (had). I live in houston and bought from that shop. It's a great shop and a great bike (i even race for a different shop ) . It's 23lbs off the rack and race ready. I did go through the chainrings pretty quick and replaced with LX then XT an raced it for a year and a half.
Great bike, great price, great shop.
The Toninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 12:04 PM   #9
The Toninator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Houston
Bikes:
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops sorry i had the comp version which is a great bike. bTW dropped price to $899.
The Toninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 12:15 PM   #10
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerX
Best XC Specialized offers is the EPIC. The FSR is old and it shows. It rides ok but isn't as well engineered as it could be. There are better 4-bar XC bikes out there.
Best XC full sus?
1. Titus Racer X
2. Santa Cruz Blur

In comparison, I would give the FSR 2.5 stars and the Racer X 4.5 stars out of 5. Anyway, back to your question;
Specialized XC
1. Epic
2. S-Works FSR
3. Stumpjumper FSR XC
4. stumpjumper hardtail-but I am really unimpressed by this frame.
well, i would get anything as long as its better. i just choose specialized b/c my lbs is a dealer. but if titus and santa cruz is better. ill look into it
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 12:22 PM   #11
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if specialized isnt such a good thing...then what is? im looking at around $2000.
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 12:34 PM   #12
RacerX
Senior Member
 
RacerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Left Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry to give you the impression Specialized isn't good. They are fine bikes. I listed the order in which I would rate their bikes. For the price, I think they are good.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 01:16 PM   #13
a2psyklnut
NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS!
 
a2psyklnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
Bikes: Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I personally like Specialized bikes. The FSR Horst linkage is one of the best designs I've ridden. Granted, I haven't tried the Epic with the Smart Shock, and have yet to try one of the new VPP bikes.

The other thing you've mentioned, but I'm asking for a bit more info is the style of riding you do. You stated XC, but is that racing, or just riding around, short rides, long rides, small drops, technical, lots of climbing ...etc.? That sort of stuff.

With the budget you've mentioned, forget the Titus and the Santa Cruz, you'll end up with Deore level components for $2,000. Heck, you might be lucky to get a frame, fork and wheelset for $2000. I think a Blur frame is about $1,300 and a Titus Racer is about $1,700.

For your budget, you can get into an Epic, base model has a MSRP of $2050, or a Stumpjumper FSR XC for around $1650. The FSR XC is a great all around bike for about 90% of the type riding most people do. If you're a big rider like me, (I go about 225-230) you'd be better off on an Enduro or a BigHit. But if you're lightweight (what I would consider - sub 200) this is a great bike!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 01:20 PM   #14
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerX
I'm sorry to give you the impression Specialized isn't good. They are fine bikes. I listed the order in which I would rate their bikes. For the price, I think they are good.
I think your list of considerations are outside his $$$$ range. Those suggestions ranged 2k going to 4K.

I read your selections as the top of Specialize's line and those not in your list are not worth considering.

It wasn't the top of the line when I purchased my FSR Enduro Comp in 99. But, I got above average components, quality frame and purchased new for under $1800.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 01:32 PM   #15
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
"a2psyklnut" has a valid point to consider... If your wallet is limited to 2k max, you should really look at how you want to use this bike and what extremes will it be put to. Then, IMO buy the "best components" on a quality priced frame that stays within your budget.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 02:04 PM   #16
PeterG1185
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MI
Bikes:
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,
Just to let you guys in on a little secret the EPIC is way the hell overrated. It costs way too much and it's heavy, and since i've ridden one on the trail i can confidently say it's not worth the extra $500 and 2lbs over the old FSR
PeterG1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 02:16 PM   #17
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Garbear
"a2psyklnut" has a valid point to consider... If your wallet is limited to 2k max, you should really look at how you want to use this bike and what extremes will it be put to. Then, IMO buy the "best components" on a quality priced frame that stays within your budget.
okay....my limit is not really 2k, i would say 2k-2.5k
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 02:34 PM   #18
RacerX
Senior Member
 
RacerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Left Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Garbear


I think your list of considerations are outside his $$$$ range. Those suggestions ranged 2k going to 4K.

I read your selections as the top of Specialize's line and those not in your list are not worth considering.

It wasn't the top of the line when I purchased my FSR Enduro Comp in 99. But, I got above average components, quality frame and purchased new for under $1800.
Well he asked about specialized so I listed what I like from them. I did not list the excellent Enduro because he asked about XC bikes.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 05:14 PM   #19
KleinMp99
New to bikeforýms.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerX
Best XC Specialized offers is the EPIC. The FSR is old and it shows. It rides ok but isn't as well engineered as it could be. There are better 4-bar XC bikes out there.
Best XC full sus?
1. Titus Racer X
2. Santa Cruz Blur

In comparison, I would give the FSR 2.5 stars and the Racer X 4.5 stars out of 5. Anyway, back to your question;
Specialized XC
1. Epic
2. S-Works FSR
3. Stumpjumper FSR XC
4. stumpjumper hardtail-but I am really unimpressed by this frame.

You have rode an epic right. The epic feels like a hardtail, and some people dont like hardtails....they like full squish all the time. The stumpjumper hardtails are great too. I will give the fsr a 4.8 (out of 5)

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterG1185
Hey,
Just to let you guys in on a little secret the EPIC is way the hell overrated. It costs way too much and it's heavy, and since i've ridden one on the trail i can confidently say it's not worth the extra $500 and 2lbs over the old FSR

The epic is a whole new bike. I have ridden them, and they seemed real fast. Too bad you dont work at a bike shop......the prices are great! lol

Last edited by KleinMp99; 10-16-02 at 05:22 PM.
KleinMp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 06:51 PM   #20
Scooby Snax
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterG1185
Hey,
Just to let you guys in on a little secret the EPIC is way the hell overrated. It costs way too much and it's heavy, and since i've ridden one on the trail i can confidently say it's not worth the extra $500 and 2lbs over the old FSR
An epic too heavy? 2lbs over a FSR XC, um, I have to object to that statement, I just bought a FSR, I was told by the shop that an epic was lighter, 1/2 apound?
I just read a review of the Epic in Mountain Biking, and the claimed weight is 5.5 lbs.

I know that my FSR XC frame cannot weigh 3.5 LBS.

Specialized specs thier bikes halfway decent, and slip in thier house brand components where they can, they have to make a buck too, and I dont blame em for it.
Stem and bar, seat and seatpost, cranks, and front hub, on my rig, they function well enough, and if they do go south, Ill either get em replaced with warranty if its still effective, or replace em with a name brand after market if funds allow.

Buy one, ride it and grin like a goofy school boy, thats all that matters, well to me at least. now I go to do some hills in the rain!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 06:56 PM   #21
Hawkphoto
Nikon Nemisis
 
Hawkphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright you quivelers... the man needs help! Let us help him...

If you've got 2 grand, Buy an S-works hardtail!!! I have an M2, but you could have an M5! I love my bike, you could not pry it from my dead rigamortised hands if you had the jaws of life and Park tire irons! If you really want the full suspension though, and it would be difficult to blame you, get an FSR XC w/ high end components and rims. (where do you live?). Check out Cambria Bicycle Outfitters - CBO... they throw together some really amazing custom packages just to show off sometimes! That's how I got mine, everything was totally tricked out right down to the Nuke Proof Carbon Hubs! I would hold off on the Epic for at least 1 year (Field Testing and Price Drop).

Specialized is an excellent company! I feel somehow attached and loyal to them... I've ridden their bikes since 1989!

That said, For the same price as a tricked out FSR XC, you could buy a Giant NRS-1 w/ disk brakes! Or, an NRS - Air w/ Crossmax Tubeless Disk Hoops for about $2600!

Ignore that last para. Buy Specialized! You could not possibly be disapointed. Their geometry is comfortable yet nimble and ready for anything twitchy... in other words "Controlably Aggresive"!

Good Luck Dude,

Don't hesitate to ask more specific questions, and we'd all like to hear the details of your riding style as discussed in the other posts...

Peace and Love

Hawk
Hawkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 08:46 PM   #22
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkphoto
Alright you quivelers... the man needs help! Let us help him...

If you've got 2 grand, Buy an S-works hardtail!!! I have an M2, but you could have an M5! I love my bike, you could not pry it from my dead rigamortised hands if you had the jaws of life and Park tire irons! If you really want the full suspension though, and it would be difficult to blame you, get an FSR XC w/ high end components and rims. (where do you live?). Check out Cambria Bicycle Outfitters - CBO... they throw together some really amazing custom packages just to show off sometimes! That's how I got mine, everything was totally tricked out right down to the Nuke Proof Carbon Hubs! I would hold off on the Epic for at least 1 year (Field Testing and Price Drop).

Specialized is an excellent company! I feel somehow attached and loyal to them... I've ridden their bikes since 1989!

That said, For the same price as a tricked out FSR XC, you could buy a Giant NRS-1 w/ disk brakes! Or, an NRS - Air w/ Crossmax Tubeless Disk Hoops for about $2600!

Ignore that last para. Buy Specialized! You could not possibly be disapointed. Their geometry is comfortable yet nimble and ready for anything twitchy... in other words "Controlably Aggresive"!

Good Luck Dude,

Don't hesitate to ask more specific questions, and we'd all like to hear the details of your riding style as discussed in the other posts...

Peace and Love

Hawk
1. why do you suggest a HT? Wouldnt a FS be better?
2. do you think i would save if i waited for a frame price drop and get it custom?
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 09:08 PM   #23
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
Thread Starter
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you all suggest to save money by buying last years model?
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 10:02 PM   #24
CycleMON
Senior Member
 
CycleMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes! The bikes don't change much as model years go by. They will put different forks on the bikes or claim lighter weight, but you get your best deals from previous models.
CycleMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 08:30 AM   #25
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by killerasp
would you all suggest to save money by buying last years model?
Yes... Often you can get a much better bike for your buck and most importantly, better components and maybe disk bks. I've noticed that due to pricing, many mfgs are putting shimanos lower components on their latest frame and pricing to high IMO.

Your duediligence will pay off... XTR can be had...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.