Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-06, 01:05 PM   #1
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Formula XERO Element XSM-1 wheelset - any opinions?

so, im looking at getting one of these wheelsets. Does anyone have any opinions on these? Im looking for a new wheelset, and cant decide between just buying a new rim (currently on a Mavic x-117), and getting it re-laced to my M-525 hub, getting a Rhynolite rim laced to a XT centrelock hub, or getting these guys.

With the XT/Rhynolite package, i need to buy centrelock->6-bolt adapters, and thats an extra $15/wheel, bringing the total to $169.99
http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/sc.2/ca.../it.A/id.77/.f

The Formula XERO Element XSM-1 are 189.99 and they include adapters to have them disc ready.
http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/sc.2/ca.../it.A/id.97/.f

i do mostly cross country, with a fair amount of commuting.

any help you have would be greatly appreciated.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 08:42 PM   #2
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone know anything about these wheels?

and does anyone else find this site ridiculously slow today?
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 08:49 PM   #3
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
anyone know anything about these wheels?
Evidently not, since nobody posted untill you bumped the thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza

and does anyone else find this site ridiculously slow today?
Just you
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 09:00 PM   #4
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Evidently not, since nobody posted untill you bumped the thread [/color]
Welcome back Raiyn, i missed your witty comments. Where were you?

Im sure somebody knows something about them, or at least heard of them. I know you have a tendancy to like Rhynolites, is $139cdn a decent price for these laced to a XT hub? Would they be much heavier than my X-117/M-525's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn

Just you
Mmmmmmmm, the site was super slow for me at work too.. The whole city must be slow
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 09:11 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
Welcome back Raiyn, i missed your witty comments. Where were you?
I needed some time off. Plus with the holidays.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza

Im sure somebody knows something about them, or at least heard of them. I know you have a tendancy to like Rhynolites, is $139cdn a decent price for these laced to a XT hub?
That's about $118 Us so that's not bad at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
Would they be much heavier than my X-117/M-525's?
You're going to make me look up the numbers? Oy! The XT hub is lighter than the Deore and the Rhynolite rim comes in at 550g. As for the X117 I can't remember off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza

Mmmmmmmm, the site was super slow for me at work too.. The whole city must be slow
Froze over?
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 09:18 PM   #6
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn

You're going to make me look up the numbers? Oy! The XT hub is lighter than the Deore and the Rhynolite rim comes in at 550g. As for the X117 I can't remember off the top of my head.
i looked on weight weenies and cant find the 117, but i guess it might just even out, or close to it anyway, in the end.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Froze over?
ha! no, actually, been pretty warm here (-5ish), cant keep my damm car clean though
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:23 AM   #7
KrisA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Regina, SK, CA
Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are at all concerned about weight, why not go with the XT-317 combo on Bikeroom, looks like a good deal, if it's built well.
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 03:25 PM   #8
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisA
If you are at all concerned about weight, why not go with the XT-317 combo on Bikeroom, looks like a good deal, if it's built well.
i guess im not all that concerned about weight, but in saying that i dont want bloddy anchors for wheels. Im more concerned with durability and price rather than weight. Those XT-217's look good, but after the $25 shipping, the $30 for rotor adapters, and taxes, it might be more than i want to spend.

So if i get these formula XERO's, i hope they can stand up to the odd log hit or a bad landing.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 10:17 PM   #9
mtb-chop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, CA
Bikes: Stumpjumper FSR 30th Anniversary
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
i guess im not all that concerned about weight, but in saying that i dont want bloddy anchors for wheels. Im more concerned with durability and price rather than weight. Those XT-217's look good, but after the $25 shipping, the $30 for rotor adapters, and taxes, it might be more than i want to spend.

So if i get these formula XERO's, i hope they can stand up to the odd log hit or a bad landing.
I know these weren't one of your options, but these XT/Sun Singletrack wheels are great - I'm using them. They are the older XT so no centerlock adapter required, and the rims are pretty darn strong. Not to mention that I think this is a pretty darn good deal - $150 for the set.

Whatever you do, have any wheels you get online checked/trued and tensioned. These wheels were not true/tensioned/dished when they arrived. I spent an hour with each one in a truing stand 'fixing' them before they went anywhere near the bike.
mtb-chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 12:59 AM   #10
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb-chop
Whatever you do, have any wheels you get online checked/trued and tensioned. These wheels were not true/tensioned/dished when they arrived. I spent an hour with each one in a truing stand 'fixing' them before they went anywhere near the bike.
While I totally aree with checking the wheels, I find it funny that you had to spend that much time on your wheels. My XT disc / Rhynolite set from Price point only needed a slight tweaking. (I blame UPS because I've had them since 2003 and they haven't need a truing for this Clydesdale
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 10:14 AM   #11
mtb-chop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, CA
Bikes: Stumpjumper FSR 30th Anniversary
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
While I totally aree with checking the wheels, I find it funny that you had to spend that much time on your wheels. My XT disc / Rhynolite set from Price point only needed a slight tweaking. (I blame UPS because I've had them since 2003 and they haven't need a truing for this Clydesdale
I was surprised too - I threw them in the stand just to check them out and the rear was WAY off; the thing was built crooked - strangest thing I ever saw. The front was fairly true, not perfect, but none of the spokes were tensioned. I had half a mind to give them a call and give them a piece of my mind, but didn't for some reason; not sure why, just didn't.
mtb-chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 06:19 PM   #12
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb-chop
I had half a mind to give them a call and give them a piece of my mind, but didn't for some reason; not sure why, just didn't.
It wouldn't have done you any good to chew out a customer service drone. All they could do was authorize a return and ship out a new one that may be OK. You fixed the problem and moved on. Exactly what I would have done since the problem was something that was easily corrected
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 AM.