Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-06, 06:27 AM   #1
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
What do I need to go single chainring?

I mentioned this in my rebuild thread, but I figured it would get more responses on its own.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a mountain bike that it does not look like I will be able to use a front derailleur on (frame damage), so I'm considering running a single ring up front and a cassette and derailleur out back.

Since I just purchased an LX crank and BB, I'd rather not buy a new single ring crank, so I'm looking for something to keep my chain on the middle ring and keep it from dropping onto the granny. Due to the frame design (pic) I don't think I can use a tensioner that mounts on the chainstay, and all the other tensioners I've found assume a single speed rear gear.

Has anyone else tried doing this, and if so, what was your solution? Is it as simple as mounting a 3rd eye chain watcher sort of thing, or do I need something else? Thanks.
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 09:53 AM   #2
Paladin
Mountain Biker
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western MT
Bikes: KHS Team ST, Access XCL Rigid
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They make a couple of different products, checkout the following:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=1615

I've recently bought the 3rd eye chain watcher, it seems to work although I haven't had it long and haven't used it much.

If you aren't going to be using the granny gear I would just remove it.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 09:56 AM   #3
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze
I mentioned this in my rebuild thread, but I figured it would get more responses on its own.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a mountain bike that it does not look like I will be able to use a front derailleur on (frame damage), so I'm considering running a single ring up front and a cassette and derailleur out back.

Since I just purchased an LX crank and BB, I'd rather not buy a new single ring crank, so I'm looking for something to keep my chain on the middle ring and keep it from dropping onto the granny. Due to the frame design (pic) I don't think I can use a tensioner that mounts on the chainstay, and all the other tensioners I've found assume a single speed rear gear.

Has anyone else tried doing this, and if so, what was your solution? Is it as simple as mounting a 3rd eye chain watcher sort of thing, or do I need something else? Thanks.
on one of my bikes, i simply shortened the chain a bit since i wasn't going to use the largest ring. i also replaced the larger ring with an e.thirteen plastic bash guard to keep my pants from getting caught since this is my commuter bike.

originally, i had just tucked my pants into my sock on the right side. but then people started making fun of me and yelling "VIRGIN" out the car windows.

i haven't had problems with the chain dropping, but it is not used on the roughest of terrain either
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 10:16 AM   #4
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I run an e13 bashguard where the largest ring was and an NGear Jumpstop to keep the chain from dropping when I rapidly downshift.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 10:18 AM   #5
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599
on one of my bikes, i simply shortened the chain a bit since i wasn't going to use the largest ring.
Yeah, if you are not going to use the big ring, might as well shorten up your chain. I was able to take 6 six links out. That saved me like 15 grams! Sweet!
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 10:25 AM   #6
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just looked at the pic What is that??
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 11:10 AM   #7
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Omg I was gunno ask the same question haha.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 11:43 AM   #8
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
I just looked at the pic What is that??
You mean my bike? It's a '92 AlpineStars Al-Mega.

For now I went the 3rd eye chain watcher route. If that doesn't work, BTI offers these options:





Also, I'll probably ditch the big ring and run a bash guard or something. I'm also going to shorten the chain up and try to find a short cage rear derailleur.
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 04:59 PM   #9
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use a Dirty Parts Jack boomerang tensioner, around $40. Non ESCG mount.
The Jack is for single chainring only. Use an outer bashguard, I don't use the upper pulley.
Triple crank and mount the ring mid spyder.

Last edited by jeff williams; 02-28-06 at 03:48 AM.
jeff williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 08:55 PM   #10
twochins
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze
You mean my bike? It's a '92 AlpineStars Al-Mega.

For now I went the 3rd eye chain watcher route. If that doesn't work, BTI offers these options:





Also, I'll probably ditch the big ring and run a bash guard or something. I'm also going to shorten the chain up and try to find a short cage rear derailleur.
hey, where di you say you could get those chain guides...i'm not familiar with the upper one, i'm using the lower one (Heim) right now.....looks like a patent problem there

please let me know..forgot to add that you should not get the heim guide, because the roller is tapered, which means that you can't backpedal or the chain will derail from the chainring...the other one doesn't look like it has that taper...on my heim, i took the roller off and replaced it with an MRP roller, which has a groove for the chain

sorry for the long post, don't want somebody to make the same mistake i did
twochins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 09:10 PM   #11
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochins
sorry for the long post, don't want somebody to make the same mistake i did
Hey thanks, that was useful info.

I got both those pics off the BTI website. They're a wholesale distributor that sells to LBSs, so if your LBS deals with BTI, they can get anything in that catalog.
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.