Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-06, 06:15 PM   #1
toolba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jacksonville FL
Bikes: Haro V2 MTB, Bad Boy Ultra w/700x28C & Bad Boy Ultra w/26x2.10
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me about cyclocomputers

(Sorry if this has been covered before.) I've always thought of myself as somewhat of a tech-geek, but I don't know much about cyclocomputers.

1. Are they used much on MTB?

2. What will they do for me?

3. What's the price range for a decent one?

4. If I buy wireless, will it interfere with my heart rate monitor?

5. Are they durable enough for MTBing.

6. Do you use one?

Thanks!
toolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 07:07 AM   #2
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolba
(Sorry if this has been covered before.) I've always thought of myself as somewhat of a tech-geek, but I don't know much about cyclocomputers.

1. Are they used much on MTB?

2. What will they do for me?

3. What's the price range for a decent one?

4. If I buy wireless, will it interfere with my heart rate monitor?

5. Are they durable enough for MTBing.

6. Do you use one?

Thanks!
You use them to track monitor your speed and distance. It's a way of collecting data on your workouts. A decent one costs $50 and up. Excellent ones cost about $150. The way cool new Garmin GPS units cost $350.

The wireless probably will not interefere with heart monitors. Lots of MTBers use them. There are models durable enough for mountain biking. Some are not. I suggest you check mtbr.com for reviews of individual models.
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 07:34 AM   #3
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out the cat-eye micro wireless. In my opinion is it the best affordable wireless computer. It does all of the basics and I get no interference with it and any of my heart rate monitors. Plus with wireless you don't have to worry about tearing the wire.

I definately use a computer. It is good for just riding around and in my opinion is very important in racing. It is always nice to know how much further I have to go when I feel like I am going to die.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 11:02 AM   #4
leonardotmnt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can usually find decent Cateye's from nashbar or performance for $30 or so even.
leonardotmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 11:07 AM   #5
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use a wired Cateye on my mtb. Bullet-proof.

I did have wireless cross-talk between my cateye double wireless and my Polar HRM (A5) on my road setup. I was in the middle of a switch to a different HRM with "Secure Code" tramission Polar (F11) which took care of the issue.

Something to consider...
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 02:35 PM   #6
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCel
Check out the cat-eye micro wireless. In my opinion is it the best affordable wireless computer. It does all of the basics and I get no interference with it and any of my heart rate monitors. Plus with wireless you don't have to worry about tearing the wire.

I definately use a computer. It is good for just riding around and in my opinion is very important in racing. It is always nice to know how much further I have to go when I feel like I am going to die.
Just be aware that the Micro-Wireless (and most other wireless systems) don't work under 32˚F. I've replaced the batteries in mine and while it work in the 30˚-40˚F range now, after it gets out in the blowing cold it just stops registering.

This is making me lust one of the newer Garmin units that don't rely on magnetic wheel pickups.
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 02:44 PM   #7
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
Just be aware that the Micro-Wireless (and most other wireless systems) don't work under 32˚F. I've replaced the batteries in mine and while it work in the 30˚-40˚F range now, after it gets out in the blowing cold it just stops registering.
Is this a manufacturer's fact or your observation? Just curious because mine work fine below 32F...never had a problem (not Cateye wireless though).
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 02:49 PM   #8
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two of the micro wireless computers. One works fine no matter what temperature (well, down to around 20 F anyway). The other one does have problems below around 32 F. It is pretty common with these computers. Cat Eye did tell me I could send mine in if I wanted and they would fix / replace it. I was just too lazy.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 02:50 PM   #9
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
Just be aware that the Micro-Wireless (and most other wireless systems) don't work under 32˚F. I've replaced the batteries in mine and while it work in the 30˚-40˚F range now, after it gets out in the blowing cold it just stops registering.

This is making me lust one of the newer Garmin units that don't rely on magnetic wheel pickups.
I have a Cateye Double wireless (on road bike) that works fine down to 20. I only stop there because I don't work well below 20.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.