Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-06, 04:35 PM   #1
goodwin
Member
Thread Starter
 
goodwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wet trail riding

Exactly how wet/muddy does a trail have to be in order to damage it by riding it?
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 04:45 PM   #2
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It depends on the trail...the type of trail surface, drainage, etc...
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 05:01 PM   #3
Emory
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: texas
Bikes: 05 giant rincon, '78 Centurian Elite
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the worst damage is caused by going around the mud. There are a few parts of the trails I ride that have places that stay wet long after the rest has dried out. Most are wider because people have gone around the puddle and widened the trail. This leads to the puddle getting bigger and bigger each time it rains.
Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 05:24 PM   #4
WorldWind
Hardtail
 
WorldWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Az. & Ca.
Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The short answer is … if it is sticking to your tire, you are destroying the trail for sure, if it is throwing mud you are probably damaging the trail, if you are just getting wet you might not be hurting the trail.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 05:38 PM   #5
Hank Rearden
Banned.
 
Hank Rearden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind
The short answer is … if it is sticking to your tire, you are destroying the trail for sure,
That's a silly absolute. It depends upon the trail.

No trails were destroyed in the making of this picture (there are also many more pictures available that disprove your opinions)

Hank Rearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:01 PM   #6
idleuser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Epic Comp 2013, Specialized Allez Elite 2005
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's safe to say that if you're making deep grooves into the ground and there are puddles forming, then you're messing with the trail.
idleuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:18 PM   #7
WorldWind
Hardtail
 
WorldWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Az. & Ca.
Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
That's a silly absolute. It depends upon the trail.

No trails were destroyed in the making of this picture (there are also many more pictures available that disprove your opinions)


There is no trail in your picture.

It is a picture of a meadow or an un-used fire road.

When the concentration of clay in mud is high enough it will stick to your tire. That means it is being removed from the surface of the trail. This leaves a grove that hardens when dry.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:30 PM   #8
Hank Rearden
Banned.
 
Hank Rearden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind
There is no trail in your picture.
That's because we were taking a break.

The trails weren't detroyed and remain in use today, almost two years after the picture was taken.

Are you still going to argue that the trail was "destroyed for sure"? How can you possibly know about every trail and which users groups share it, what maintenance is performed, etc.?

Your hyperbole is funny, but inaccurate.
Hank Rearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:42 PM   #9
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
That's because we were taking a break.

The trails weren't detroyed and remain in use today, almost two years after the picture was taken.

Are you still going to argue that the trail was "destroyed for sure"? How can you possibly know about every trail and which users groups share it, what maintenance is performed, etc.?

Your hyperbole is funny, but inaccurate.
I's a question of volume. The more people who do that, the worse the trail is going to become.

You may ask those who take care of that trail what they think about that picture. You may find they have a different perspective. How do you know some pissed off volunteer didn't spend a weekend morning fixing your damage?
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:47 PM   #10
Hank Rearden
Banned.
 
Hank Rearden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
You may ask those who take care of that trail what they think about that picture. You may find they have a different perspective. How do you know some pissed off volunteer didn't spend a weekend morning fixing your damage?
The trail was not destroyed.

You apparently suffer from the same kind of myopia as the other guy.

I know some pissed off voluteer didn't spend any time fixing our "damage" because it's a remote double track that's used by horses and ATVs, as well as bikes. Any "damage" was quickly obscured by other users groups, the trail wasn't destroyed, and it's in the same shape now.

People's ability to make assumptions is really funny.
Hank Rearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:52 PM   #11
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're making ruts...you're not doing the trail any good.

Sandy trails tend to be fine to ride shortly after a rain, whereas some dirt/clay trails can stay wet for days on end.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:52 PM   #12
WorldWind
Hardtail
 
WorldWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Az. & Ca.
Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
That's because we were taking a break.


That was Ross’s excuse.. But if you truly loved Rach, er: The trail you wouldn’t cheat.


So show us a picture of someone pulling clay from a single track that includes the section of track being ridden and I will still say you are wrong.


PS. a dirt road is not a trail.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 07:00 PM   #13
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It depends on the trail's drainage. Everyone that rides the trails in my area know what trails to stay off when it rains. Then there is another trail (about 10 miles from house) that you can ride the day after rain and it is perfect.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 07:01 PM   #14
iamthetas
Senior Member
 
iamthetas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: colonial heights Va
Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
That's a silly absolute. It depends upon the trail.

No trails were destroyed in the making of this picture (there are also many more pictures available that disprove your opinions)

]
he did not write destroyed( past tense) he said destroying( present, future tense). Ive ridden the same stuff and I will tell you I may not have destroyED the trails that day, I did them NO good. my bike was not the better for it either.
some of the trails I used to ride and had the attitude " the horses, ATVs etc. " are fixing the problem are now GONE
if anyone wants to ride wet trails, go ahead, just dont cry when they are gone and dont try to come ride the ones I take care of either because they are closed when wet
iamthetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 10:37 AM   #15
WorldWind
Hardtail
 
WorldWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Az. & Ca.
Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


This is what a trail looks like after riders pull clay from the surface pack.

When this hardens it is difficult to repair, and we normally don't send crews out when it is wet because it causes additional damage to the access trails.

The more damage we have to deal with in a season the fewer new trails we can open.

If you want to volunteer to help with this problem contact your local chapter of ROMP.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 10:44 AM   #16
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Egads....just gross, beyond the mud look at how wide that is

I tend to agress with worldwind, his logic doesn't seem that off. And it does leave the "depends on the area" true as mud here is not clay like and with how rooty and rocky it is you can ride entire trails in the wet without much mud become sticky. I know of one area that ends up with puddles similar to above pic, but because of how rooty and rocked it is, it remains completely unchanged.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 PM.